No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, she's fantastic. The whole show is marvelous. Disappointed to be reminded there are only 6 eps a season. Bah. I think we did 3 last night.

Comment

There is talk of a film, apparently, but the show's creators are saying there will be not be another series.

Comment

I think I posted up my list of Lockdown movies watched on TV at the end of the first one and it was in the mid-fifties. I've now reached the century in the early days of Lockdown III (not including the dozen or so films I managed to get to in the cinema when restrictions have been relaxed) :

Films new to me

Snowpiercer

Annihilation

The Sisters Brothers

Toni Erdmann (got halfway through, gave up)

The Aeronauts

21 Bridges

Knives Out

Sexy Beast

Under the Skin (stopped watching after a while, found it horrible)

The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Supremacy

The Bourne Ultimatum

The Bourne Legacy

Jason Bourne

The Children Act

Boy

Jumanji - The Next Level

San Andreas

The Wife

Upgrade

The Upside

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2

Field of Dreams

A Mighty Wind

Layer Cake

Monsters

21 Jump Street

22 Jump Street

The Gentlemen

Mission Impossible

The Bling Ring

The Vast of Night

Suicide Squad

Mascots

The Lovebirds

Days of the Bagnold Summer

Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Twelve

Dating Amber

Da 5 Bloods

Troy

A Quiet Place

Mr. Jones

Alita : Battle Angel

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Eurovision Song Contest : The Story of Fire Saga

The Old Guard

Project Power

The Invisible Man

L'Ascencion

Le Mans '66

Apollo 13

Happiest Season

The Rhythm Section

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

War of the Worlds (2005)

Dead Man's Shoes

Submarine

Films I've rewatched

Galaxy Quest

Witness

Mindhorn

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

War for the Planet of the Apes

Source Code

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Tag

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Catching Fire

John Wick

Isle of Dogs

What We Do In The Shadows

Attack The Block

Jaws

Joker

The Edge

Baby Driver

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Logan

District 9

Pokemon Detective Pickachu

Starter For Ten

Uncut Gems

The Usual Suspects

Die Hard

Die Hard 2 : Die Harder

Love Actually

It's A Wonderful Life

Scrooged

Paint Your Wagon

Sixth Sense

Hunky Dory

Parasite

When Harry Met Sally

'WHMS' was a nice choice to bring up the hundred, especially as it was my children's first viewing and they loved it.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-01-2021, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

I enjoyed this. We were drawn to it via the trailers in seeing two principal actors in the show were key characters in the excellent 'Borgen'.
          And a third (the guy who plays Musa) was one of the news anchors in that series - which begs the question, how come Sidse Babette Knudsen doesn't seem to be appearing in anything these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

And a third (the guy who plays Musa) was one of the news anchors in that series - which begs the question, how come Sidse Babette Knudsen doesn't seem to be appearing in anything these days?
            She was criminally underused in that recent BBC political drama starring Hugh Laurie. It wasn't great.

Comment

Wow, I'm watching the first season of Life Below Zero and I'm seeing why the show won an Emmy. Between the music and the production, it's like a different show than the later seasons. It's edgy, for one thing. I haven't checked, but I assume the production staff must have changed over the years (the first season was in 2013).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                I think I posted up my list of Lockdown movies watched on TV at the end of the first one and it was in the mid-fifties. I've now reached the century in the early days of Lockdown III (not including the dozen or so films I managed to get to in the cinema when restrictions have been relaxed) :

Films new to me

Snowpiercer

Annihilation

The Sisters Brothers

Toni Erdmann (got halfway through, gave up)

The Aeronauts

21 Bridges

Knives Out

Sexy Beast

Under the Skin (stopped watching after a while, found it horrible)

The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Supremacy

The Bourne Ultimatum

The Bourne Legacy

Jason Bourne

The Children Act

Boy

Jumanji - The Next Level

San Andreas

The Wife

Upgrade

The Upside

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2

Field of Dreams

A Mighty Wind

Layer Cake

Monsters

21 Jump Street

22 Jump Street

The Gentlemen

Mission Impossible

The Bling Ring

The Vast of Night

Suicide Squad

Mascots

The Lovebirds

Days of the Bagnold Summer

Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Twelve

Dating Amber

Da 5 Bloods

Troy

A Quiet Place

Mr. Jones

Alita : Battle Angel

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Eurovision Song Contest : The Story of Fire Saga

The Old Guard

Project Power

The Invisible Man

L'Ascencion

Le Mans '66

Apollo 13

Happiest Season

The Rhythm Section

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

War of the Worlds (2005)

Dead Man's Shoes

Submarine

Films I've rewatched

Galaxy Quest

Witness

Mindhorn

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

War for the Planet of the Apes

Source Code

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Tag

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Catching Fire

John Wick

Isle of Dogs

What We Do In The Shadows

Attack The Block

Jaws

Joker

The Edge

Baby Driver

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Logan

District 9

Pokemon Detective Pickachu

Starter For Ten

Uncut Gems

The Usual Suspects

Die Hard

Die Hard 2 : Die Harder

Love Actually

It's A Wonderful Life

Scrooged

Paint Your Wagon

Sixth Sense

Hunky Dory

Parasite

When Harry Met Sally

I keep lists of loads of things but I've never done it for films. Is this the first time you've done it?
                Last edited by Sporting; 24-01-2021, 19:08.

Comment

I normally only keep a list for new/cinematic releases but this last year or so seemed to invite keeping a record of home viewings.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                    Love Gem, Cook, Line and Captain Hey Ho.
                    It used to be Cook, Line and Stinker originally. But Captain Stinker got replaced.

Comment

I may owe some apologies. I don't think I ever expressed the opinion on here, but certainly my boss, my ex boss, the Finance girl and at least three barmaids have been told "No, I haven't watched Peaky Blinders and I never will, because it's a load of Brummie crap with a silly name."

Turns out it's rather good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

It used to be Cook, Line and Stinker originally. But Captain Stinker got replaced.
                        Wow, thanks for sharing that, we frequently question the reason for Line's name, now it all makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Wow, thanks for sharing that, we frequently question the reason for Line's name, now it all makes sense!
                          I'm not sure why they replaced Stinker. It might even be the same actor with a different name.

Comment

Definitely a different actor. They did a few episodes where they passed the reigns to the new one, although it was a few years ago now and my youngest two haven't shown an interest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

You need to see Colectiv. I think it's on Amazon (though I'm not entirely sure)
                              Thanks, will look for that.

Starting The Americans tonight and may begin watching Bosch too. I see The X-Files are all on Prime, so may re-watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                Definitely a different actor. They did a few episodes where they passed the reigns to the new one, although it was a few years ago now and my youngest two haven't shown an interest in it.
                                Yes, the Captain is usually played by a fairly decent gigging stage actor who needs a bit of easy cash. There has been Captain Captain and Captain Hey Ho in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                  Starting The Americans tonight
                                  Oh, I hope you enjoy that. We were huge fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                    There is talk of a film, apparently, but the show's creators are saying there will be not be another series.
                                    That wrapped up nicely. They told the story they needed to tell.

Comment

I saw the film 'Archive' tonight, which is a new release on UK streaming services but came out on them in the US last year and also had a limited theatrical release over there.

It's based on some relatively well-trodden sci-fi ideas about AI, consciousness and loss but executes them well with two very good central performances from Theo James and Stacy Martin, neither of whom I'd seen in anything before.

I really wish I could have seen it on the big screen as originally intended because the cinematography is one of it's major pluses along with the score and production design but it's a more than worthwhile watch on TV.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-01-2021, 23:12.

Comment

We tried to watch Pretend It's A City last night. A Fran Lebowitz / Martin Scorcese joint, it takes an insider's look at New York City. After 20 minutes of her moaning about inconsiderate testers and tourists, we gave up. I'm sure it has a lot of appeal for New Yorkers and people who've been to the city more than, you know, twice. But it was just too plodding.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

That wrapped up nicely. They told the story they needed to tell.
                                          Great ending, with a lovely underlying bitter irony. Warm yet never sentimental. An excellent show, possibly my favourite ever on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                            The Danish language drama The Investigation has started on BBC 2 tonight, 2 episodes each lasting 45 minutes. It's about the criminal investigation following the murder of journalist Kim Wall, who was last seen getting onto a mini-submarine built by entrepreneur Peter Madsen. Neither Wall nor Madsen are portrayed in the dramatisation.

There's an interview with the lead detective here about the production http://dramaquarterly.com/true-detectives/ and a Guardian piece today by the man behind the drama series https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...obias-lindholm
                                            This was superb. Slow moving, intense but always gripping. Soren Malling is excellent as the lead investigor, barely changing expression throughout but still offering an insight into the weary and scared soul beneath.

Also a word about 'Grand Designs' as another new series continues. It's a programme that I would never instinctively list as a favourite but as I have probably seen and thorougjly enjoyed every episode of its 21 series (and several more than once) I guess it must be.

Comment

Almost done with Season 2 of Schitt's Creek. Shocked at how people on here didn't like it. It's one of the funniest shows I've watched in some time. And now the characters are getting more depth and the show has more emotional elements to it rather that just laughing at everyone.

Comment

Finished Justified last night. Goddamn, what a show. Didn't really strive to be a prestige television show, just a very well-written show that got better as it went along, filled with as many memorable supporting characters as its leads. Was pleased to see that the final season was among its best, after it's fifth season was probably its worst.

Comment

Those are both shows that just got away from me and now it feels too daunting to go through all the seasons. I just have too many shows, movies, books, podcasts, youtube videos, apps, etc "to do." I want to be with it, but I can't keep up.

Remember when it was possible to be bored?

I may try to get back with Schitt's Creek. Just an astoundingly good cast.
                                                  Justified got a bit grim and sad for my psyche. Fantastic show, of course. Same with The Walking Dead. Holy fuck, that felt so hopeless.

Comment

I gave up on the Walking Dead when they got to that suburb in Virginia(?). It was maybe season 4 or 5. Yeah, it just got too grim for me and the show wasn't really going anywhere. I had a hard time continuing after the storyline with Cutty from the Wire, the short-haired lady and those two girls.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X