No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been enjoying the current series of Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing, all nice scenery,* dry wit and a heartwarming observation of a 30-year-old friendship in action. Bob's joking reference (in order to be able to cope with the memory) to his father's traumatic death in a car accident was very bittersweet.

Louis Theroux's trawl through his archives has also been worth a watch.

* The Middle Tweed was utterly gorgeous and I was even impressed by the views of the Lea at Kings Weir, not a river I'd ever classed as being of any great visual merit:

(Kings Weir suffering a little bit in the comparison, there!)

Comment

Have we done The Ypung Offenders yet? We started it yesterday, and it has enough promise we’ll stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        I've been enjoying the current series of Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing, all nice scenery,* dry wit and a heartwarming observation of a 30-year-old friendship in action. Bob's joking reference (in order to be able to cope with the memory) to his father's traumatic death in a car accident was very bittersweet.

Louis Theroux's trawl through his archives has also been worth a watch.

* The Middle Tweed was utterly gorgeous and I was even impressed by the views of the Lea at Kings Weir, not a river I'd ever classed as being of any great visual merit:
        Yeah, all three series of the show have been a bit of a favourite for a few people on this thread and, while it is Mortimer & Whitehouse's conversation & relationship that make it really special, the visuals are wonderful too.

I've been pondering for a while that the aerial shots like the one of Tweed appear to be done by a drone camera, it's the most impressive use of such a device I've seen.

Comment

The new young offenders series is a bit shit, but it was very good up until then.

Comment

If you like old-school portmanteau horror, Bloodride on Netflix is worth a watch.

Comment

If you've never heard of Luka Rocco Magnotta, watch 'Don't F**k With Cats' on Netflix. If you have heard of Luka Rocco Magnotta, watch 'Don't F**k With Cats' on Netflix.
              Documentary...4 parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                The new young offenders series is a bit shit, but it was very good up until then.
                Series 1 is OK and Series 2 is shit?

Comment

Nah i think it's up to series three now, which is the shit one (on Irish telly at the mo).

Comment

OK a bit to look forward to yet then.

Comment

Salisbury Poisonings was excellent, and topical in so many ways.

Comment

Binged all 6 episodes of the new Katherine Ryan comedy The Duchess on Netflix last night. Absolutely recommended.

Comment

I started that but didn't get too far into it. I can't tell if she's actually a good actor or not.

Comment

Approaching the finishing straight of Desperate Housewives, nearly onto the final season now. One of the recent plots has been that Tom was annoyed at Lynette for not telling the other women on the street that he had a big cock. It has been a bit of a slog but it is good relaxing bubble gum after the demands of home working.

There is a whole load of stuff I need to catch up on before I attempt another entire run of something, but the temptation to launch into something is strong.

Comment

Very rarely that we binge - watch but it's only taken us a few days to get through the three seasons of the Netflix French comedy 'Call My Agent'. A really enjoyable ensemble piece with very watchable characters, engaging storylines and plenty of laughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                I started that but didn't get too far into it. I can't tell if she's actually a good actor or not.
                                Oh, she's not. She's a standup who wrote her own show. But it's quite a bit of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                  Very rarely that we binge - watch but it's only taken us a few days to get through the three seasons of the Netflix French comedy 'Call My Agent'. A really enjoyable ensemble piece with very watchable characters, engaging storylines and plenty of laughs.
                                  We LOVE Call My Agent. Binged the hell out of it last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                    Schitt's Creek remains a joy.
                                    Schitt's Creek swept the Emmys last night, winning all 7 'comedy' categories in which it was nominated, including Best Comedy.

Comment

I’ll have to try to get back into that. I saw the first season and then next thing I knew there were like six or seven and I just couldn’t imagine going through it all.

I’m rewatching Letterkenny and Scrubs. The stars of Scrubs have a podcast now where they discuss each episode, so it’s fun to follow along.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        I’ll have to try to get back into that. I saw the first season and then next thing I knew there were like six or seven and I just couldn’t imagine going through it all.

I’m rewatching Letterkenny and Scrubs. The stars of Scrubs have a podcast now where they discuss each episode, so it’s fun to follow along.
                                        Only five seasons I think. It gets better, maybe peaks at around three then becomes slightly sappy.

Comment

I spoke with someone at work today who said she watched the first 8 eps and didn't so much as crack a smile. She has no idea what everyone is going on about.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            I spoke with someone at work today who said she watched the first 8 eps and didn't so much as crack a smile. She has no idea what everyone is going on about.
                                            We only watched the first episode but we weren't really impressed. Might have to give it another go.

Comment

The first episode has to do some heavy lifting to set up the whole premise. Give it 2 or 3.

Comment

That’s definitely true. It's true of most sitcoms. Tina Fey talks about this in her book. She's not really happy with the 30 Rock pilot. She says Cheers had the ideal sitcom pilot.
                                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 23-09-2020, 14:41.

Comment

We had the good sense to listen to Amor when he said to push through the first 2 or 3 Peaky Blinders and it definitely paid off. Schitt's is similar in that regard.

Comment

Like I said, I'm getting way back into Scrubs because it has the accompanying podcast. What a great show that was.

Sadly, the podcast is also a bit of a review of the pandemic so far because it started in the spring and is already into season 2 and I'm still on season 1. I just got to the one they made after Sam Lloyd, the guy who played the lawyer on Scrubs, died. And I know a very good friend of Zach Braff's died this summer and we haven't got to that point yet, but I guess I find it uplifting to hear two friends talk about people they love, even if it's sad.

It was interesting to hear Zach Braff, Donald Faison and John C. McGinley talk about the episode the made right after 911. It is noticeably a bit incoherent and they noticed that too.

I find that I'm enjoying podcasts far more than reading or even books on "tape" right now. I think my brain needs to hear a conversation between people being present to each other, even if I'm not part of it. Reading feels lonely right now.

It's like leaving the radio on for the dog. (Which I don't do for Tonka. He doesn't pay attention to electronic voices or images).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X