No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the first twenty minutes of Glass the other night, we looked at each other and turned it off. What awful awful shite, maybe it got better but fuck sake. I'm not entirely convinced by McEvoy but the pish Shamalyan was making him do, Jesus.

Comment

In good British actors being wasted in Australian pish, don’t watch Between Two Worlds with Hermione Norris.

Comment

In my latest working-though-recorded-films-that-most-people-saw-years-ago journey I've watched The History Boys and Looking For Eric, both of which I enjoyed, if not immensely.

Ali or The Deer Hunter (I've seen it, Mrs. NS hasn't) next, I think.

Comment

Recommendations for good series to watch wanted. We've finished The Expanse, Future Man, the Mandalorian, Schitt's Creek, and the only season of Motherland that is available for free. What else is good out there? We're watching Gravity Falls and Doctor Who with the kids, but need something for the rare occasions that they actually go to sleep (or at least stay in their bedroom) before 9pm.

Comment

Chernobyl and Penny Dreadful: City of Angels are both very good.

Quite enjoyed Miriam Margolyes recent journeys around Oz for the Beeb, but that's probably not the sort of thing that you had in mind.
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 15-08-2020, 19:35.

Comment

Perry Mason, Rita, Watchmen and Little Fires Everywhere are all very good for different reasons.

Comment

There’s a new series on Apple + called Ted Lasso. It’s based on the character NBC used a few years ago to promote its coverage of the Premier League. Jason Sudeikus plays a somewhat successful American college football coach hired to be the coach of a fictional Premier League team. It’s way better than that makes it sound.

Comment

Schitt's Creek remains a joy.

Comment

Struggling through Series 5 of Luther. The unremitting grimness makes it hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                      Recommendations for good series to watch wanted. We've finished The Expanse, Future Man, the Mandalorian, Schitt's Creek, and the only season of Motherland that is available for free. What else is good out there? We're watching Gravity Falls and Doctor Who with the kids, but need something for the rare occasions that they actually go to sleep (or at least stay in their bedroom) before 9pm.
                      Have enjoyed The Plot Against America on Sky Atlantic. Will give Lovecraft Country a go tonight, also on Atlantic. Otherwise, I'm recording A Suitable Boy from the BBC so that I can watch it all in one go

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        Schitt's Creek remains a joy.
                        Yup. When it's over, be sure to watch the 1-hour 'final episode' documentary, free on CBC Gem.

We pass right through Goodwood, where the show was filmed, about once a week on our rides. All the set buildings except the motel are within about 100 yards of each other.
                        Last edited by WOM; 17-08-2020, 18:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                          Chernobyl and Penny Dreadful: City of Angels are both very good.
                          The similar themes / vibes between CoA and Perry Mason are downright weird, including the female evangelist in both based on real-life Aimee Semple McPherson.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

The similar themes / vibes between CoA and Perry Mason are downright weird, including the female evangelist in both based on real-life Aimee Semple McPherson.
                            Yes, I mentioned that in an earlier thread. That, and the location, are spookily coincidental though the period and political context are slightly different. Of course the cops in both shows are deeply violent and corrupt.

As a show Perry Mason edged it for me, mainly because the original series was such a part of my childhood. I like the way the new version riffed on that but only in a very low-key way, never arch or obviously tongue in cheek, for example the original sig tune is only played at the conclusion of the series. So far as characters go Della Street does most of the legal heavy-lifting, as she did in the sixties, but here she demands and gets credit for it. She's also gay, so doesn't have to spend every episode fluttering her eyelashes at Perry. A black Paul Drake is a bit saucy as he used to be as WASP as me. All in all a gripping, well produced show. I hope it sustains over the coming series.

Comment

Oh, hands down PM for me, too. The whole supernatural angle in City of Angels was a dealbreaker for me. Silly and ultimately pointless.

Comment

Just finished season 5 of Schitt's Creek, which was brilliant and all there currently appears to be on Netflix.
                                I have just discovered that there are an additional two seasons of Midnight Diner available on Netflix, as for some reason it split them into two different shows, so I thought that I'd already seen those two seasons. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                  Oh, hands down PM for me, too. The whole supernatural angle in City of Angels was a dealbreaker for me. Silly and ultimately pointless.
                                  I stopped watching that when my Showtime subscription ran out. It does seem like two different shows glued together. I don't know if the supernatural angle is pointless - it is the original premise of the show - but it just isn't integrated into the rest of the show. Unless one is really interested in the cult of Nuestra Se?ora de la Santa Muerte, it feels like it's taking time away from the main plot about nazis and the megachurch.

It does explain why Natalie Dormer has multiple parts, however. She's good in all of them and they probably saved money by doing that rather than having four different actors. So there's that.

I found PM a tough slog. The first two episodes are just so grim For These Times. I just don't think I can watch anything else about child murder.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-08-2020, 16:14.

Comment

Yeah, the Natalie Dormer thing was cool. But the whole 'good angel / bad angel' thing was just....eugh....as I say, distracting from an otherwise good little story.

Comment

In comedy, they call that a "hat on a hat." Sometimes putting together two different concepts makes the result less than the sum of the parts.

" ."

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Agree with pretty much all of that, and I do like Caitlin Moran and enjoyed Raised by Wolves. Think that was part of the problem really, it could have been done as a six part Channel 4 sitcom and looked and felt much the same. Glad I gave it a go but I'm finding the "free" new release movies on Prime to be hit and miss.
                                        Just finished watching it and it was dreadful. I was rolling my eyes from about 10 minutes in and, as soon as I saw the Manics played by actors with a left handed "Richey", I was out. I mean, I know it doesn't have to be that accurate but I would imagine that a lot of the audience would be people who know what the Manics or Bjork look like - I certainly would be surprised if the audience is present day teenagers even if that appears to be squarely where its aimed. The script and a lot of the acting was clunky and it had nowhere near the charm of, say, Dating Amber. It reminded m more of "London Town" which I switched off after 10 minutes due to its period inaccuracies and thin caricatures of characters so I fortunately missed a fictional cameo by Joe Strummer.

I like Moran as well but had no real interest in the main character but, after some Googling, found out that she based it more on Julie Burchill than the teenage Moran (as in the much superior 'Raised By Wolves') which, if I had known about before hand, would probably alerted me to give it a swerve. The cameos - Lily Allen as Elizabeth Taylor, Mel Geidroyc as Emily Bronte - all seemed odd until I found out that both are related to the film makers. With Moran apparently on set all the time, I think that there was no-one to puncture the chumminess on set and point out that it was all pretty poor.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions for series.

Currently we've decided to rewatch the last series of Breaking Bad and actually finish it this time, because for reasons lost in the midst of time, we only got halfway through last time and didn't watch the last 5 or 6 episodes.

Comment

Lovecraft Country on HBO is off to a promising start. As the title suggests, it’s partly about supernatural stuff in New England, but it’s primarily about racism in the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                              Thanks for the suggestions for series.

Currently we've decided to rewatch the last series of Breaking Bad and actually finish it this time, because for reasons lost in the midst of time, we only got halfway through last time and didn't watch the last 5 or 6 episodes.
                                              Spoiler alert:

It breaks. Badly.

Comment

Lost Boys was just on BBC again. Naturally I watched it, and would you believe it was the first time TLMG had ever seen it?!

Anyway, she ignored me reciting the script, laughed in the correct places and enjoyed it, despite herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                  Australian Dream about Adam Goodes is on iPlayer and it's very good. The only oddity is that the writer is also one of the main talking heads but isn't presented like that, he's not a narrator or anything, Just given the same weight as everyone else until towards the end.

Christ there are some horrible Australians, although that's true of any nation.
                                                  I watched this last night and also recommend it if it is still available.

Pundit Andrew Bolt seems to be the result of a terrible laboratory accident in which Tony Blackburn crawled into Brendan O'Neill's teleportation device during the human testing phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                    Lost Boys was just on BBC again. Naturally I watched it, and would you believe it was the first time TLMG had ever seen it?!

Anyway, she ignored me reciting the script, laughed in the correct places and enjoyed it, despite herself.

I persuaded Mrs. NS to watch that last night but she just couldn't get into it so she went to bed and I watched The Revenant instead.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X