No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a photo of my (then very young) kids standing in front of the Chappaquidick School Bus.

Comment

After watching Sons of Anarchy ten years after everyone else, we’re now on Mayans M.C.- it’s fine. But the jeopardy of actually watching a programme that hasn’t been finished and so the prospect (pun intended) of a year or two waiting for a new series is looming.

Enjoying Norsemen a lot too

and the kids chain watch Nailed It!

guess who subscribed to Netflix in March?

Comment

Just started watching Meek's Cutoff. Remarkable how disorientating it is to watch a movie in 4:3 these days.

Comment

HBO documentary "King In The Wildnerness" on MLK's last two years. It is on Youtube.

"Eyes On The Prize" (1987) - the PBS series that got me interested in civil rights history when shown on the BBC.

Comment

The Edge has left me feeling quite melancholy. I wasn't following cricket at all during that period but the human dimension is very good.

I'm not sure it's good piece of film though. All the archive/retro footage and the central noticeboard theme don't quite work.

Is English cricket all about the Ashes? I'd like to think that it's not but it does seem to be.

In summary, amazing footage and access to subjects willing to be honest and open; not put together that well.

Comment

I saw most of it last night. Like you say, some amazing footage and very honest interviews.

Originally posted by Levin View Post
              Is English cricket all about the Ashes? I'd like to think that it's not but it does seem to be.
              The film did give one that impression. (Although they did also feature the England South Africa series of 2012, mainly to focus on the Kevin Pietersen textgate scandal). But strangely, no mention was made of the home Ashes series in 2013. They featured the 2010 - 11 series in Australia that England won and also the 2013 - 14 series in Australia that Australia won 5-0.

I think the reason for this was that the 2013-2014 series was the one where Trott was sent home and Swann retired with immediate effect and the focus on the film was very much on the mental toll that international cricket takes on many players. It just seemed strange that that the home Ashes win of 2012 was not mentioned even in passing (unless I missed it).

Comment

The Ashes have always been inflated, even when both teams have been relatively weak. OTOH they usually produce drama and "stories", partly because they are over 5 Tests (a "proper series") and partly because both teams focus their long-term preparations around the next one to a great extent so their players peak in those series. They also generate the greatest revenue. Other series are sandwiched between ODIs and T20s and preparation time is much shorter; visiting teams underperform often.

Comment

We've started the second series of Umbrella Academy. I'm enjoying it so far (2 episodes in). My younger daughter who is the original fan is also enjoying it. Older daughter hates it and has given up. My other half keeps asking me to explain things.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    We've started the second series of Umbrella Academy. I'm enjoying it so far (2 episodes in). My younger daughter who is the original fan is also enjoying it. Older daughter hates it and has given up. My other half keeps asking me to explain things.
                    It's OK I guess but doesn't appear to be going anywhere as it's basically a rerun of the first season in a different time and place.

Comment

I didn’t like the first season enough to plow on.

Comment

The wife and I are 4 episodes into season 2 as well. I'm enjoying it so far.

I can't shake the fact that Diego is a spitting image of Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen though.

Comment

I’m getting really bored with the second season of The Umbrella Academy.

For a show that so achingly wants to be original and quirky it’s incredibly formulaic and seems to rip off a thousand other shows and films.

Comment

Speaking of formulaic, has anyone seen How To Build A Girl? As a regular Times reader I was almost bullied into watching it, as it's written by one of its columnists, but as I quite like Caitlin Moran, and more importantly it was free on Prime, so...

Well, there was nothing to hate in it. But it was just so predictable. Outsider type is an outsider, then becomes a cool kid, then overdoes it, and pisses everyone off, and then makes amends. It's like there's a template that writers can drop their characters into, turn a handle, and out pops a film (I'm looking at you, Blinded By The Light). Like I say, nothing wrong with it, perfectly acceptable way to waste 90 minutes, but I was hoping for more.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                              Speaking of formulaic, has anyone seen How To Build A Girl? As a regular Times reader I was almost bullied into watching it, as it's written by one of its columnists, but as I quite like Caitlin Moran, and more importantly it was free on Prime, so...

Well, there was nothing to hate in it. But it was just so predictable. Outsider type is an outsider, then becomes a cool kid, then overdoes it, and pisses everyone off, and then makes amends. It's like there's a template that writers can drop their characters into, turn a handle, and out pops a film (I'm looking at you, Blinded By The Light). Like I say, nothing wrong with it, perfectly acceptable way to waste 90 minutes, but I was hoping for more.
                              Agree with pretty much all of that, and I do like Caitlin Moran and enjoyed Raised by Wolves. Think that was part of the problem really, it could have been done as a six part Channel 4 sitcom and looked and felt much the same. Glad I gave it a go but I'm finding the "free" new release movies on Prime to be hit and miss.

Comment

Meanwhile in recent weeks I've powered through to the end of the entire runs of both Hill Street Blues (on All 4 streaming, as mentioned upthread) and The Twilight Zone.

Hill Street Blues held up strongly enough towards the end, unlike LA Law which wobbled a lot in its later days. There were some cul-de-sac storylines and Sid the Snitch verged on being the unnecessarily comic character but they dealt with cast changes gradually and sensibly.

I thought the last season of The Twilight Zone would be a slog as the received wisdom is that it limped to a finish and while it is clear that they were having to recycle story lines and twists (oh, the ventriloquist's dummy is really alive, oh they are the little people in a big world - sorry for the spoilers) there were still some decent episodes and quality casts. Some of the episodes I was familiar with but would have guessed at them being earlier in the run.

Comment

Mentioned by HP but started Fear City today. I’m not sure if the people in it got their cliches from gangster movies or the other way around but it seemed interesting enough.
                                  And New York looks so awesomely cool and seedy and dangerous. Wouldn’t want to live there mind but there’s a reason it was the setting for so much at the time.

Comment

Completed The Umbrella Academy last night and I really enjoyed it. The story kept me engrossed and it's set up well for a 3rd season.

I can see why other people may find it a bit boring, samey, cliched, etc... but this is the only programme like this that I watch. I don't do superhero/comic book stuff normally (apart from Batman - I do like Batman), so for me to still be into it after 20 episodes is something I suppose.

Comment

While switching off the tv last night, I caught a few minutes of The Australian Dream on BBC2 about midway through.
                                      I'll be going back and watching it from the start on the iPlayer tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Mentioned by HP but started Fear City today. I’m not sure if the people in it got their cliches from gangster movies or the other way around but it seemed interesting enough.
                                        And New York looks so awesomely cool and seedy and dangerous. Wouldn’t want to live there mind but there’s a reason it was the setting for so much at the time.
                                        Puzo didn’t actually know much about the mafia so he made a lot of it up, but the films influenced the style and speech or real life mobsters. The Sopranos is about the first generation of mafia who were influenced by The Godfather.

Comment

I think there were some other fans of it on here so wanted to point out that a third series of 'Mortimer & Whitehouse : Gone Fishing' starts on BBC2 on August 23rd.

Like 'The Trip', I always wonder if the idea can sustain another series but given that the second series was even better than the first I have hopes it will.

Comment

Greg Davies: Looking for Kes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5eLECmBzxw

Comment

Australian Dream about Adam Goodes is on iPlayer and it's very good. The only oddity is that the writer is also one of the main talking heads but isn't presented like that, he's not a narrator or anything, Just given the same weight as everyone else until towards the end.

Christ there are some horrible Australians, although that's true of any nation.

Comment

There are though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I think there were some other fans of it on here so wanted to point out that a third series of 'Mortimer & Whitehouse : Gone Fishing' starts on BBC2 on August 23rd.

Like 'The Trip', I always wonder if the idea can sustain another series but given that the second series was even better than the first I have hopes it will.
                                                  Gone Fishing is just lovely, it doesn’t really matter what’s happening. Their conversation is comforting, and Bob Mortimer just seems like a lovely feller.

Comment

Yes, I've seen two or three of those. Good but I didn't feel compelled to watch any more. Fishing with John is worth a look. I think most of the episodes are up on youtube. John Lurie goes fishing with his famous mates - Hopper, Jarmusch, Dillion, Waits, Dafoe. Here is the description of the Tom Waits episode from Wikipedia:

"Lurie and Waits fish for red snapper in Jamaica. Tom periodically becomes grumpy. A game of cards on dry land makes Tom feel much better. Waits catches a fish and puts it in his pants."

I need to see The Trip. I have seen loads of clips on youtube and maybe one or two episodes from the first series.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X