Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Currently watching Logan Lucky and really enjoying it. Just got to the negotiations over supplying books.
    I thought for sure this was going to be a dumb film that wasted my time, but it was really good.

Comment

I wonder if the lack of an antagonist caused problems selling it. But I've been thinking about it a lot today and there is so much in it to like. Literally so, only two unlikable characters in the whole film and one bad english accent from McFarlane.

I do wonder what people from West Virginia made of it.

Comment

Now watching The Thomas Crown Affair. This is a really weird film so far.

He's just a rich, bored guy (sense of ennui or depression?) doing crimes for kicks. She's a immoral, criminal, investigating him because she saw his picture.

The split screen thing works really well in the lead up to the heist but then they use it for no reason and now they seem to have given up on it.

The tiny image in the bottom of a blank screen is glorious, beautifully used

Christ, how much of this film is them filming expensive hobbies that Steve McQueen liked to do?
        Last edited by Levin; 18-07-2020, 21:31.

Comment

I thought Logan Lucky was a bit Oceans Revisited. It's a fun, well choreographed heist film with a great cast by Soderbergh. As it happens, I enjoyed the Oceans films, so it was just fine. The fact that it's West Virginia and North Carolina rather than Vegas is just about the only obvious difference.

Comment

BBC iPlayer currently has tons of Inspector Montalbano and Young Montalbano available for viewing.

So you should definitely watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              I thought Logan Lucky was a bit Oceans Revisited. It's a fun, well choreographed heist film with a great cast by Soderbergh. As it happens, I enjoyed the Oceans films, so it was just fine. The fact that it's West Virginia and North Carolina rather than Vegas is just about the only obvious difference.
              I paid actually money to see that in the theater. Seems like it was 30 years ago.

Comment

I saw 'Logan Lucky' in the cinema on it's release too. It appears to have left almost no lasting impression on me whatsoever.

Coming out in the same year as 'Logan' itself (which is a classic) can't have helped it.

Comment

I remember being really underwhelmed by it, but not much else. Apparently, according to a post on another forum, this is what I felt closer to the fact:

It was just a cavalcade of lazy southern stereotypes and a caper that was neither inherently interesting nor entertainingly unfurled in the denouement. The jokes mostly fell flat (god that GRR Martin bit was painful, and it will not age well) and there was surprisingly little action

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    I recommend Palm Springs on Hulu. It’s like Groundhog Day but not.
                    Watched that a couple of days ago. Very enjoyable, but not very substantial. (The scenery might be a bit more Joshua Tree than Palm Springs).

Comment

Watched Montage of Heck ; Kurt Cobain last night on Irish channel TG4. The next programme was an episode of Murder She Wrote, probably as different a programme as you could think of. I actually wonder is there anybody who watched both.

Comment

That's a gutwrenching doc.

Comment

It is, maybe they reckoned we'd need some light relief with Jessica Fletcher afterwards.

Comment

Anybody else watching 12 on Netflix? It's a decent courtroom drama set in Ghent. Thing I find most interesting is how different Belgian courts are to British, American, Spanish, French or Italian ones (all of which have been portrayed over the past few years.) To begin with jury members are able ask questions of the court, witnesses or attorneys whenever they feel like it. There's a much 'looser' process in general. Prosecution or defence attorney's don't appear to have to follow rigid protocols as to when and how they can ask questions. Also the oath witnesses have to swear prior to testimony is quite different to any I've heard. God doesn't feature, neither does the "whole truth" IIRC. Finally, Flemish — as I've noticed in other Belgian shows — is so close to English it verges on a dialect, is this a recent occurrence? I know other North European cultures slip into English now and again, but none as much as Flemings so far as I know.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-the-other-one

Just half way through The Bureau on Amazon, The Plot Against America look like it'll be my next watch.

Comment

That was worth watching, but frankly I couldn't be sure if it ended or was a cliffhanger for another season tbd.

Comment

I got Hulu in a package deal with Disney Plus and ESPN plus, but there’s really nothing worth watching on ESPN+ and having to watch commercials on Hulu is maddening. I think there is a commercial free version but it’s more expensive.

I put up with the commercials to watch all of Letterkenny and I’m intrigued by Barkskins, but I can’t stand the ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    Anybody else watching 12 on Netflix? It's a decent courtroom drama set in Ghent. Thing I find most interesting is how different Belgian courts are to British, American, Spanish, French or Italian ones (all of which have been portrayed over the past few years.) To begin with jury members are able ask questions of the court, witnesses or attorneys whenever they feel like it. There's a much 'looser' process in general. Prosecution or defence attorney's don't appear to have to follow rigid protocols as to when and how they can ask questions. Also the oath witnesses have to swear prior to testimony is quite different to any I've heard. God doesn't feature, neither does the "whole truth" IIRC. Finally, Flemish — as I've noticed in other Belgian shows — is so close to English it verges on a dialect, is this a recent occurrence? I know other North European cultures slip into English now and again, but none as much as Flemings so far as I know.
                                    Flemish is Dutch, basically?

Comment

Yeah, but like Valencian/Catalan, the locals might not appreciate that being pointed out.

Want to echo Laverte's typically beautifully written shout out for My Brilliant Friend. It's one of the most incredible things I've seen in years, almost perfect. Halfway through season 2, will be painful to wait years for season 3 to get made.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Yes. But, perhaps I'm wrong, it seems to include more English expressions than Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Yeah, but like Valencian/Catalan, the locals might not appreciate that being pointed out.

Want to echo Laverte's typically beautifully written shout out for My Brilliant Friend. It's one of the most incredible things I've seen in years, almost perfect. Halfway through season 2, will be painful to wait years for season 3 to get made.
                                          I'd endorse that (and have in the past.) Unmissable. Why will it take years for the next series?

Comment

My mental health is such that I’ve just been binging the last four seasons of Big Bang Theory.

Comment

Covid, and it seems to have taken 2 years between the first two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                Tell that to a random person from Flanders and you may be treated very rudely indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Yes. But, perhaps I'm wrong, it seems to include more English expressions than Dutch.
                                                  Generally, that would surprise me. In Belgium, the language battle still lives pretty strongly in the minds of the people. As a consequence, both the Flemish and the Walloon community are quite protective of their language (as opposed to the other), and hence tend to import fewer loanwords.

Flemish may still include quite a few English expressions, but I would expect even more of those in Dutch. Your mileage in a specific series may vary, of course.

Comment

How is Walloon pronounced?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X