No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started watching La Casa de Papel again. Need to get back into it a bit. I feel like I needed the first episode back to ease me in a bit, but because of all the cliffhangers left before the break it had to be tension ramped up to the max

I still don't really like The Professor. Not sure if it is the character or the actor.

Comment

Watched The Last Picture Show last night. I saw it back in '71 when it was being lauded as "the best American movie since Citizen Kane. I didn't get that at all then, and still think it's over-hype. However, I also think I was too young to fully "get it" back then, especially when it came to the female characters. It is very good, not at all 'Hollywood,' more like contemporary European films. It's very much an ensemble piece, and one that made the reputations of many of its cast. I've also never seen anything else by Bogdanovich that comes close in quality. Wonder what else I missed in films I saw when I was too young?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Started watching La Casa de Papel again. Need to get back into it a bit. I feel like I needed the first episode back to ease me in a bit, but because of all the cliffhangers left before the break it had to be tension ramped up to the max

I still don't really like The Professor. Not sure if it is the character or the actor.
        The new seasons are far more crash, bang, wallop. Not in a bad way, just far more violent action than the first.

Comment

Casa.del Papel has been the only top five topic on Spanish, French, German and Italian Wikipedia not related to the crisis this week.

I'm not sure it is available over here

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Casa.del Papel has been the only top five topic on Spanish, French, German and Italian Wikipedia not related to the crisis this week.

I'm not sure it is available over here
            It's on Netflix. Retitled Money Heist

Comment

Ah,.no wonder I didn't connect them

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                Watched The Last Picture Show last night. I saw it back in '71 when it was being lauded as "the best American movie since Citizen Kane. I didn't get that at all then, and still think it's over-hype. However, I also think I was too young to fully "get it" back then, especially when it came to the female characters. It is very good, not at all 'Hollywood,' more like contemporary European films. It's very much an ensemble piece, and one that made the reputations of many of its cast. I've also never seen anything else by Bogdanovich that comes close in quality. Wonder what else I missed in films I saw when I was too young?
                I watched it fairly recently after it featured on the Unspooled podcast (I highly recommend that episode, it was a great discussion) and found it really striking. Especially seeing Bridges that young.

Comment

It is a great film.

Not all time "Mount Rushmore" great, but still great.

Comment

The latest episode of Better Call Saul was as brilliant as it gets. And I'm really enjoying another dodgy lawyer: Michael Sheen as Roland Blum in The Good Fight. We're about a year behind the US here (I'm on Series 3) but it's still very current.

I'm pleased Liar has finished, fairly satisfyingly, but it was so drawn out. I like a strong female lead, but when they're ordinary, 5'4" slightly-built women in their 30s acting like super-spy assassins it's a bit implausible. On a serious note, I wonder if it misleads young girls about how they'd fare if they picked a fight with an angry and fit 6' man in his prime. Concentrate on the running, girls.

The same goes for Homeland - it's obviously a class above most dramas, but when Carrie is beating up enemy agents and prepared to take on the Taliban with a gun, it's a bit of a stretch. I'm enjoying Costa Ronin (Oleg from The Americans) but finding it a bit weird when he speaks English.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      I've also never seen anything else by Bogdanovich that comes close in quality. Wonder what else I missed in films I saw when I was too young?
                      Never going to get the critical acclaim of Last Picture Show, but my favorite Bogdanovich film is TARGETS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSc3xAXX5g

Comment

Red Dwarf is very much Marmite, but new feature-length special currently on Dave.

Comment

E4 have a programme called The Great British Dig, an actor and a group of architects dig up people's back gardens looking for ancient Roman remains, why didn't they think of a programme like that years ago!

Comment

Correction; Archaeologists, stupid autocorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

Never going to get the critical acclaim of Last Picture Show, but my favorite Bogdanovich film is TARGETS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSc3xAXX5g
                              Yeah I saw that too, it was good. It was quite some time before LPS I think. I believe it was Boris Karloff's last movie, and Bogdanovich's first, but I haven't checked.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                The latest episode of Better Call Saul was as brilliant as it gets. And I'm really enjoying another dodgy lawyer: Michael Sheen as Roland Blum in The Good Fight. We're about a year behind the US here (I'm on Series 3) but it's still very current.

I'm pleased Liar has finished, fairly satisfyingly, but it was so drawn out. I like a strong female lead, but when they're ordinary, 5'4" slightly-built women in their 30s acting like super-spy assassins it's a bit implausible. On a serious note, I wonder if it misleads young girls about how they'd fare if they picked a fight with an angry and fit 6' man in his prime. Concentrate on the running, girls.

The same goes for Homeland - it's obviously a class above most dramas, but when Carrie is beating up enemy agents and prepared to take on the Taliban with a gun, it's a bit of a stretch. I'm enjoying Costa Ronin (Oleg from The Americans) but finding it a bit weird when he speaks English.
                                Is Liar the one where Joanne Froggatt kayaks around the Essex marshes? Lovely setting, but you’re right it did drag on a bit. Also I’ve hit a bit of credibility gap with Ioan Gruffudd; somewhere along the line I stopped finding him convincing. He didn’t improve his credibility with a three-series drama he did over here called Harrow. He’s a pathologist who... doesn’t play by the rules. It’s one of the plethora of Australian dramas which never quite knows whether it’s a super-serious thriller, or slightly tongue-in-cheek 8:30 Sunday evening malarkey with a couple of stereotype characters thrown in.

By coincidence the excellent Froggatt also did a series here, in a dystopian-near-future thing called The Commons. We made it through one episode.

Comment

Been wading through season 5 of the aforementioned Buffy. The episode where her mother dies and they are sat round waiting for the results of the autopsy and then go to the funeral was an unexpectedly bleak interlude - and at the same time a fairly representative depiction of suddenly coming to terms with a death in the family. I was quite taken aback by the whole thing.

By chance I've also got my old DVD of The Last Picture Show sitting under the player to watch over the weekend, I have always been a fan of it on previous viewings though it has been a while so I'll see if I'm still as keen on it.

Comment

I am watching Parks and Recreation from the beginning, having never previously seen it, and I like it a lot as light viewing. I will try 'Community' next.

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' series 10 is OK but I increasingly feel it's reactionary and sexist.

Comment

LPS Oscar-winner Cloris Leachman is still going strong at 93. I remember seeing her in the snatches of the film that I've managed to catch, but for me she'll always be Nurse Diesel in High Anxiety:

Relax. It was consensual.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                        Been wading through season 5 of the aforementioned Buffy. The episode where her mother dies and they are sat round waiting for the results of the autopsy and then go to the funeral was an unexpectedly bleak interlude - and at the same time a fairly representative depiction of suddenly coming to terms with a death in the family. I was quite taken aback by the whole thing.

By chance I've also got my old DVD of The Last Picture Show sitting under the player to watch over the weekend, I have always been a fan of it on previous viewings though it has been a while so I'll see if I'm still as keen on it.
                                        Whoa! Major spoiler alert! I'm only nearing the end of season 2!

Comment

I was wrong about Schitt's Creek. It's brilliant.

Comment

Really? We only gave it one episode. ​​​​​​

Comment

Apple+ has a reboot of Amazing Stories, which was Spielberg’s Twilight Zone homage/ripoff from the 80s.

Only on episode 2, but it’s really well done. Much better than the actual TZ reboot on CBS All-Access.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                Really? We only gave it one episode. ​​​​​​
                                                It’s very good and has really taken off. I’ve only seen the first season, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

It’s very good and has really taken off. I’ve only seen the first season, though.
                                                  It's just finished on CBC. I've never watched it, but always liked Catherine O'Hara. Maybe I should give it a go.

Comment

Like Sits, we gave it one episode when it first premiered and went 'nah'. But people we trust said we were missing out, so we started watching the full run on Netflix this morning and were totally hooked by Ep 3. I don't genuinely LOL very often, but there are tons of those moments on Schitt's.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X