No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus, there's enough shit "documentaries " on the regular channels, people searching for UFOs , Bigfoot and mythical treasures without paying extra to watch one. Though half my job seems to be watching this.

Comment

I cannot remember where I first read or heard about this film, so apologies if I'm reiterating anyone's recommendation on here. But my wife and I just thoroughly enjoyed Vivarium, a jumpscare-free horror movie with Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg. It's quite topical in times of self-isolation, and doubly so for us since we're on the verge of settling down in a to-be-bought house in suburbia.

Plot start: young couple tries to find a nice house to start a family in. A creepy real estate agent shows them a suburbian house in an identikit neighborhood. While the couple checks out the garden, the agent disappears. Descent into madness ensues.

I quite appreciate how they manage to make the neighborhood look creepy through subtraction: no personal belongings = no identity = weird looking houses. There's also a few good laughs, and a few poignant moments about what makes the couple tick. But I was most please that this is a horror movie understanding that suggestion is scarier than actually showing; explicit plot exposition is as limited as can reasonably be.

Comment

Probably a year to 18 months ago I made it 50% of the way through the first episode of Money Heist and then got distracted with football or baseball or something else. I finally came back to this one. I'm only two episodes in but really enjoying it. My daughter is home from university due the quarantine and heist films are a shared plot line interest so we'll make our way through this over the next couple weeks.

But one thing that is driving me nuts is the speed at which the subtitles move on this thing. They are off the screen before the person finishes speaking. In general, it seems like Netflix hires sadistic subtitle creators who either add subtitles when nobody is speaking (Valhallia Murders--sp??), don't put up subtitles when people are speaking, or move too fast. Luckily with this one, our brains started to catch up with the speed but the general move is bizarre. Watching the show is kind of exhausting mentally.

Comment

I watched The Greatest Showman tonight. I enjoyed it and I don't usually do musicals.

Comment

Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms

Excellent stuff

We've also succumbed to Disney + which keeps the kids happy and gives me access to all the Marvel tat I could ever want.

Catching up with Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema.

Comment

I've got both the Hellboy animated films on DVD. They're decent enough. I haven't watched the reboot movie from last year because I heard nothing but terrible reviews of it.

Comment

Bloody hell s7 E3 of Brooklyn 99 is incredible. Jason Mantzoukas is brilliant.

Comment

I finally watched Uncut Gems last night. I was so fucking uncomfortable watching it. I have no idea if it's a good film or not because it made me feel horrible. The big irony is, of course, that I'm meant to hate Adam Sandler's character in this film, but I hate him more in almost every other Adam Sandler film

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I've got both the Hellboy animated films on DVD. They're decent enough. I haven't watched the reboot movie from last year because I heard nothing but terrible reviews of it.
                    It’s awful. The animated movies and the first two films by GDT are good.

Comment

I’m enjoying The Test. I enjoy sports documentaries I can watch without any strong feelings or preconceptions. I may try that Sunderland one.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        I finally watched Uncut Gems last night. I was so fucking uncomfortable watching it. I have no idea if it's a good film or not because it made me feel horrible. The big irony is, of course, that I'm meant to hate Adam Sandler's character in this film, but I hate him more in almost every other Adam Sandler film
                        I had similar response. Only watched about half-an-hour

Comment

The Team - a crime series based around cooperation between Danish, German and Belgian police. Series 1 is pretty good but series 2 disappoints. They let the main suspect escape at least three times by failing to follow The Bill basics and have someone at the back door of wherever they are raiding.

Comment

Did Tiger King the past three evenings. Could have been about three episodes shorter, but as voyeuristic viewing it was compelling enough. It was cleverly edited, no doubt. I'm presuming that in the current emergency all these parks have been temporarily closed, and will hopefully all go bankrupt given what it costs to feed the animals. I feel less distaste for the owners than I do for the people who pay to go into these places just to pet tigers and have their pictures taken with them - without these morons, there would be no parks.

Comment

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is still watchable but I'm really not sure how much longer it will retain my interest. Beyond the central premise the stories aren't that engaging. It's all a bit twee and earnest.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                Did Tiger King the past three evenings. Could have been about three episodes shorter, but as voyeuristic viewing it was compelling enough. It was cleverly edited, no doubt. I'm presuming that in the current emergency all these parks have been temporarily closed, and will hopefully all go bankrupt given what it costs to feed the animals. I feel less distaste for the owners than I do for the people who pay to go into these places just to pet tigers and have their pictures taken with them - without these morons, there would be no parks.
                                I'd go so far as to say it was deceptively edited. It was really unclear most of the time when and in what circumstances interviews were shot. Information was withheld or shared in a manner designed to maximise shock value rather than clarity. I really, really hate this trend of non-transparency in documentaries (not just TV, it's all over the placed in podcasts), which they've taken from reality TV.

Comment

I enjoyed the Sunderland documentary and it's a nice distraction if you're missing your football. It didnt feel as in depth as the first series and only briefly touched on the stories of one or two players. There's not loads of match footage and what there is, feels pretty rushed.

Charlie Methven deserves all the stick he's probably getting but I couldn't help feeling sorry for Stuart Donald. They both care deeply and try their best to turn things around there without seeming to get the rub of the green on the playing field.

The 'negotiation' when buying Will Grigg has to be seen to be believed and does add a touch of black comedy when you remember how much the fans hated him within a few months.

Luke O'Nien comes across as a genuinely nice lad. You can see the strain and pressure on a couple of the defenders faces, one who's been dropped and the other that gets abused when he's with his family in Tesco's.

Overall, definitely worth a watch but it does feel a bit rushed which is odd given how long it's taken to be released. Pity their not doing another this season though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    I'd go so far as to say it was deceptively edited. It was really unclear most of the time when and in what circumstances interviews were shot. Information was withheld or shared in a manner designed to maximise shock value rather than clarity. I really, really hate this trend of non-transparency in documentaries (not just TV, it's all over the placed in podcasts), which they've taken from reality TV.
                                    I still can't understand why the interviewees were so incredibly candid.

Comment

Well, it sounded like several of them had got some sort of deal from the prosecution (which is another frustration - the documentary did very little to explain the details of either court case, when they are both pretty important).

Comment

Yep, I couldn't believe the Feds thought they had enough evidence to make the conspiracy-to-murder charge stick given the dubious credentials, backgrounds and interests of the main witnesses, which was presumably why they added all the other charges on top after digging up tiger bones. A lot of the participants are whining about being mis-represented, but it's not like reality TV and documentaries are an unknown medium these days - you sign off and you should know what you're getting into. Hard to feel a stitch of sympathy for anyone involved, and if it ends up with the banning of roadside exotic animal zoos run by fucking idiots and patronised by shit-eating morons, then it won't all have been in vain.

Comment

Given the states in which such things tend to be located, I wouldn't be confident that they have all been closed to the public

Comment

As I've said before, if I had to choose between holing up with either 'Doc' Antle or Joe Exotic, it'd be Joe in a heartbeat.
                                            He wears his weird on his sleeve, but Antle's is so much more dark and menacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

Charlie Methven deserves all the stick he's probably getting but I couldn't help feeling sorry for Stuart Donald. They both care deeply and try their best to turn things around there without seeming to get the rub of the green on the playing field.
                                              Oh! If Charlie's in it, I might have to hunt this down at some point. For a while he was a very visible, very confident, arrogant, and almost always wrong Oxford fan. I did have a very enjoyable day in an executive box he procured for the Wembley play-off win, and he was charming good company. But he was always a pretty rotten person - when he was having a go at our terrible chairman Firoz Kassam he could not help himself from sub-Telegraph-journo race-baiting. He'd probably make good television - a sort of posh, British Doc Antle.

Comment

Recent viewing is a bizarre combination of:

- one episode of Tiger King left
                                                - nearly at the end of season 1 of The Expanse
                                                - finished Picard
                                                - been watching studio Ghibli films with the kids (Ponyo and Pom Poko recently)
                                                - Blue Planet II in the mornings
                                                - Thor: The Dark World (watched purely so I can watch Thor: Ragnarok next)
                                                - still on season 3 of Rupaul's Drag Race
                                                ​​​​​​

Comment

catholic tastes are you, Balders

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    Recent viewing is a bizarre combination of:

- one episode of Tiger King left
                                                    - nearly at the end of season 1 of The Expanse
                                                    - finished Picard
                                                    - been watching studio Ghibli films with the kids (Ponyo and Pom Poko recently)
                                                    - Blue Planet II in the mornings
                                                    - Thor: The Dark World (watched purely so I can watch Thor: Ragnarok next)
                                                    - still on season 3 of Rupaul's Drag Race
                                                    ​​​​​​
                                                    I don’t know if you need to see Dark World to enjoy Ragnorak. It makes more sense to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Captain America: Civil War before that.

I don’t recall anything about Dark World except that Ragnorak is miles better.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ease-order-mcu

Comment

Working...
                                                    X