No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted something lightweight and nostalgic last night, so watched The Love Bug on Disney Plus. There are quite a few references in there that I never picked up on as a kid; jokes about hippies mainly. I don't think Disney would include the scene where Herbie tries to throw himself off the Golden Gate Bridge these days. There are no kids in it at all, which feels a bit strange for a film that is surely aimed at kids. But it was great though, I particularly laughed at the scene where Haversham gets replaced as Thorndike's navigator by a bear.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      The rink is in Macon, Georgia and once hosted these guys

That's the place. It's shaped like a pyramid and has a really distinctive pattern on the ceiling, which stood out...wherever in the world it was meant to be.

Comment

Most memorable watch this week was Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) (1958). Louis Malle's first film (bugger me what was I wasting my time with when I was 24!) It's a gripping little oddity, a cross between a tense thriller like Riffifi a teen punk French noir, and early Nouvelle Vague. There are really two stories: man kills his boss, then gets stuck in an elevator for hours while getting away. A couple steal his car, and have a run-in with a couple of tourists. These are interspersed with a moody Jeanne Moreau wandering around Paris looking for the guy in the elevator, but really just looking absolutely ravishing. All set to a score by the young Miles Davis, who just happened in Paris at the time. A real time slip of a movie.

The second season of My Brilliant Friend up on Netflix, is every bit as strong as the first. The cinematic craftsmanship throughout is remarkable, most notably in the performances of the two actors playing the leads. Gaia Giraci and Margherita Mazzucco. The portrait of ordinary lives, especially those of women, in Naples of the late fifties and sixties is an education, for me anyway. BTW the area is similar to that used in Gomorrah, though clearly the buildings have been reconstructed for the series. It's interesting to see how it's declined physically and socially in the intervening years.
        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 01-04-2020, 19:42.

Comment

We've currently got the early series of M*A*S*H on Freeview 48. If you've never seen it, watch now, but ignore the previously non-existent laughter track...

Comment

I too wanted something lightweight and reliable, so I started watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean film. I understand that Johnny Depp can be annoying, but I really love those movies.

Comment

Bloody hell. The Headingley test was something incredible wasn't it? Episode 8 of The Test is good.

Comment

We just watched the 2018 film Game Night, which was good light entertainment. The glass tables gag was nice, and Jesse Plemons demonstrates the power of doing very little indeed.

Comment

Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) (1958) - Lift To The Scaffold in the UK. Miles Davis had been romancing Juliette Greco on and off since 1949.

Comment

Watching a George Best documentary on BBC4, it took 43 minutes before we saw him walk into the nightclub in his pink tie dyed shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) (1958) - Lift To The Scaffold in the UK. Miles Davis had been romancing Juliette Greco on and off since 1949.
                      He also liked working with Michel Legrand but not sure if that was before or after

Comment

Watched Spanish sci-fi Netflix original film The Platform. It starts off feeling super on-the-nose, but it works. Definitely worth a watch. Not for the faint of heart though.

Comment

The Rachel Divide on Rachel Dolezal does a good job of showing why she is such a damaged person, without losing empathy for her critics or reducing the force of their arguments against her fraud.

Watching this later today:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-erin-lee-carr

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            He put together an ad hoc group of musicians to create the soundtrack while touring in France. It's punctuated by extended moments of silence which are very effective.

Comment

Binged new Sunderland Til I Die on Netflix last night. Released at 8AM U.K. time yesterday apparently. Only six episodes. What a shambles. The two new British owners are like Rickie Gervais characters. Cringetastic. I can’t wait to see who takes over when they run for the hills. Michael Dells three investment group partners are still in the driving seat apparently with a fourth “silent partner” involved. I can’t see that lot allowing a workplace documentary. Shame.

Comment

They're currently showing episode 23 of the first series. How long were these serieses?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

He put together an ad hoc group of musicians to create the soundtrack while touring in France. It's punctuated by extended moments of silence which are very effective.
                                  I saw it at the Barbican about ten years ago. Bought an import soundtrack cd for mad money. I can’t remember how much but it was more than I’ve ever paid for cd, LP or dvd before or since. Went to Paris a few weeks later and all the record shops had overflowing bins of it for €3. Lesson learnt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    They're currently showing episode 23 of the first series. How long were these serieses?
                                    The Sunderland thing? About 8 I think in series 1. Certainly not 23 plus! It just seems like it.
                                    Series 2 is six episodes though I skipped the opening credits every time.

Comment

M*A*S*H. It's hard to believe, but fifty years ago it was shit hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        Most memorable watch this week was Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) (1958)...All set to a score by the young Miles Davis, who just happened in Paris at the time. A real time slip of a movie.
                                        I'm just watching an episode of Miami Vice featuring Miles Davis in a supporting role. He's probably one of the few guest stars that had to dress down for the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          M*A*S*H. It's hard to believe, but fifty years ago it was shit hot.
                                          Frank Burns, as played by Larry Linville might just be my favorite TV character of all-time. Henry Blake rules as well.

Comment

I watched The Black Hole on Disney Plus. Laughable that Disney thought that was an answer to Star Wars. Absolute shite. The script. The story. The acting. The special effects.

The only plus points are
                                            1) I can tick it off the list of films I've not seen
                                            2) I never have to watch it again

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

Frank Burns, as played by Larry Linville might just be my favorite TV character of all-time. Henry Blake rules as well.
                                              Oh, absolutely. "The rat sees his reflection in the mirror and thinks it's another rat. Then this device swings down and taps him on the shoulder. When he turns around to see who wants him...."

Comment

Sunderland doco interesting but very little/no dressing room access. SPOILER ahead:

Coach tells chair $1.5m offer is way above a transfer target's value. Chair goes to $4m. Signing a flop. Chair goes on podcast and blames coach for not fitting new signing into team. Guess who gets sacked a few months later. Treatment of one employee absolutely vile, even though given their job they are extremely naive on how they speak on camera.

Comment

I’m thru episode 2 (Sunderland) and it’s tough getting too worked up as you already know how they fared last season. It’s too slick and polished but I’ll likely watch them all.

Comment

That Tiger King thing on Netflix is proper mad car crash stuff. We’ve got one to go and I’m half expecting a reveal at the end that it was all a spoof to fool us all rather than a real documentary.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X