Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

I listened to the Joe Exotic podcast awhile ago and don't think I can stomach seeing the bastard for an entire series.
    I don't think I could stomach listening to his podcast. He's just one of several characters in the documentary. With most of these people, you know they're trash, but the one person who is supposed to be the "good guy" is the one I would trust the least.

Comment

Casting JonBenet is a very weird, very....weird documentary about the purported making of a made-for-tv movie about the murder of JonBenet Ramsey on Christmas Day, 1996. Through the process of casting the lead roles, the actors reveal their theories of the crime and the impact (or lack of) that the crime had on them. Touching in parts, funny/absurd in others, it's a real character study and reflects the oddness of crimes that touch people deeply and then go unsolved. It's...as I say....weird, but very engaging.

On Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        Scratching around for our customary half hour comedy to complete the evening’s typical schedule, we’ve found Lovesick which should do the job for a while.
        We dipped our toes last night. Early days yet but it shows promise.

Comment

Just started The Capture and Episode 1 was very promising. Stars Callum Turner (Anatole Kuragin from War & Peace, and probably already destined for a future as “the bad guy”). Also dentures Nigel Lindsay and Ralph “Finchie” Ineson, both of whom it’s good to see crop up.

The main cop is Holliday Granger, and Mrs. S won the evening’s IMDB Game by identifying her as Sarah Smart’s daughter in Sparkhouse (2002).

Comment

I think dentures is one of the better autocorrects

Comment

Just started 'Freud' on Netflix. Episode 1 was borderline between interesting history and (literally) hysterical bollocks. 'Babylon Berlin' is holding my interest (Series 3, Episode 8) but the right-wing political characters are a little tedious; not as interesting as the police ones. I know 1929 is a key year in the rise of the Third Reich but those scenes need to avoid bogging the episodes down.

'Better Call Saul' - I appreciate the craft but I'm too stressed right now to sit through something so slow and static. I also just don't like the central relationship between Jimmy and his partner, who vacillates between having a conscience then continuing to go along with him, for reasons which are not clear (does he really have that much charisma?).

I can't gather much interest in Mike and the gangsters, despite again appreciating the craft of the writing and acting.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-03-2020, 19:31.

Comment

We finished Babylon Berlin last week. Probably inevitably, it certainly lacks the epic sweep of the first season (series 1&2) and plot-wise was a bit more conventional, but was compelling nevertheless. I especially liked the portrayal of UFA studios, and their production methods. Also the nod to a Louise Brooks manque as one of the victims.

BCS dawdles along. It's plotting is clever, and most of the characters are OK, but it lacks a strong focus. I think, and have done since S1E1, that we need the present day B&W Saul's story to get more time, rather than a couple of scenes at the beginning and end of each season. The show's 90% back-story and, for me, that just doesn't work very well.

Comment

I haven't started season 3 of Babylon Berlin yet. Been saving that one.

For me, BCS season 5 is excellent so far, but I am a total homer and love all the characters and also recognizing where the scenes are shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

'Better Call Saul' - I appreciate the craft but I'm too stressed right now to sit through something so slow and static.
                    Like Breaking Bad, the slow, deliberate approach to BCS is THE reason why I love both shows. Different strokes.

EPISODE 6 was superb!
                    Last edited by Cal Alamein; 25-03-2020, 01:38.

Comment

In these stressful times, anything in German is hard for me to deal with for very long in a stretch. My brain understands a little but I really need the subtitles and it’s actually more to process than if I were just dependent on the subtitles completely as in Parasite.

I tried BB with the dubbed English. That was worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        I think dentures is one of the better autocorrects
                        Oh I will have to leave that as it is.

Comment

Finally caught up with 'Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness', discussed by FF above, which is now #1 on Netflix. It is like a Louis Theroux or Jon Ronson documentary on steroids. As it's mainly set in Florida, the characters are recklessly open and unguarded in their admissions. The willingness of the public to pay high prices to watch these gorgeous animals being exploited is very upsetting but not really surprising if you live here and know the culture.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-03-2020, 21:38.

Comment

I watched CYE. I had never bothered before as i thought it would be shit like Sienfeld. I started with the beginning with the 10th Series. It's hilarious, the Weinstein lookalike and his scary looking wife. This show is too much and is cringe worthy in a hilarious way.

I also saw season 9 with the Fatwah, comedy genius.

Comment

Dogs of Berlin has a football angle (murder of a German star of Turkish descent). I'm not sure yet if I like it or find it too cold and cynical.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2020, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                I watched CYE. I had never bothered before as i thought it would be shit like Sienfeld. I started with the beginning with the 10th Series. It's hilarious, the Weinstein lookalike and his scary looking wife. This show is too much and is cringe worthy in a hilarious way.

I also saw season 9 with the Fatwah, comedy genius.
                                CYE is marvelous for cringe-humour. And of course, for JB Smoove saying practically anything.

Comment

We've given up on Avenue 5. Have been watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist on E4 which is good fun if very twee. Also bought Disney Plus and have watched the first two episodes of the Mandalorian. Only 2 episodes on there, I guess to prevent people binge watching it on a 7 day trial and then cancelling their subs. Lots of other stuff on there of course, including the Star Wars films and series. Also I've never seen The Black Hole, so I'm going to watch that one night.

Comment

We also watched the Peter Rabbit film and that was a lot better than I expected. It's no Paddington but it had some funny bits.

Comment

Ah, man! The Black Hole was an absolute favourite when it came on TV in the early 80s and I was (what is now called) a tween. I suspect that the effects and the plot may not have held up well if I rewatched it today.

Comment

M*A*S*H is on Freeview 48, and it's on the first series. Just ignore the utterly irrelevant laughter track.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          Ah, man! The Black Hole was an absolute favourite when it came on TV in the early 80s and I was (what is now called) a tween. I suspect that the effects and the plot may not have held up well if I rewatched it today.
                                          I rewatched it recently for the first time since I saw it in the theater when it was released. Doesn’t quite hold up.

New season of Ozark. I really like it.

Comment

We're watching Better Call Saul for the first time. Just finished series 2. I like it a lot, and the guy who plays Jimmy/Saul is brilliant.

My other half struggles with the pronunciation of one or two certain sound combinations in English. The "awl" part of the title here is one. This results in a kind of slightly off version which sounds very close to "Better Coleslaw" which is of course what we now call it

Comment

Season 2 of Narcos Mexico has drawn me right back in. The original Narcos series is still the only series that has come close to The Sopranos in terms of grim entertainment. It's good to have a new 'boxset' to go at in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                and the guy who plays Jimmy/Saul is brilliant.
                                                Bob Odenkirk is a guy who has bubbled just beneath the surface for, like, 30 years. I honestly thought he would go unheralded his entire career and then die. But BB and BCS finally did it for him.

Comment

Tiger King on Netflix. Holy fucking shit. Make it a priority.

Comment

I watched the first episode but couldn't face anymore. There's a sociopathic narcissist in the White House who I can't fully ignore, I don't need to watch more of them by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X