No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devs on Hulu is off to a good start. Part near-future sci-fi, part mystery. Nick Offerman plays a Silicon Valley CEO/guru type.

Comment

Had a look at episode 1 of Noughts & Crosses, which is up on BBC Iplayer. The USP is the race reversal colonisation of Britain by Africans, with pale skinned “locals” at the bottom of the heap, whilst those of African heritage hold all the positions of institutional power. At the individual level, there’s a budding Romeo & Juliet story that crosses race boundaries, and their families are central to the plot.

It’s a thought-provoking flip, there’s some decent actors in it, but in terms of drama and characters it’s not particularly outstanding. I’m intrigued to know how it ends, but not sure I’m sufficiently invested to be bothering watching the rest of it (6 episodes in total, I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        Devs on Hulu is off to a good start. Part near-future sci-fi, part mystery. Nick Offerman plays a Silicon Valley CEO/guru type.
        Yeah, looking forward to it. Supposed to be on the BBC at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Anyone else watching Hunters? It's gloriously bad taste and violent and very entertaining.
          I'm three episodes in, and I think it's done enough to convince me to stick with it, which is a rarity for me. If I have one criticism, it would be that the first episode seemed mainly about the main character finding out that there were Nazis in America being hunted. Well, yes, the character needed to find this out, but the viewer already knew it, because it was in the blurb that persuaded us to watch it!

Comment

I watched Frozen II. I’m not the target audience and don’t especially love musicals, but I appreciate animation. If nothing else, it is a *beautiful* movie. That was my first thought about Moana and Brave too. They create a world that is pleasant to visit, and that’s valuable in these times.

Disney really knows what it’s doing with the
            music too. I am starting to believe that the way they make these movies is to write the chorus to the big show-stopping/belt-it-to-the-cheap-seats number in the middle - in this case, Into the Unknown - and then write the rest of the song around that and then write the whole movie around that song.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I'm three episodes in, and I think it's done enough to convince me to stick with it, which is a rarity for me. If I have one criticism, it would be that the first episode seemed mainly about the main character finding out that there were Nazis in America being hunted. Well, yes, the character needed to find this out, but the viewer already knew it, because it was in the blurb that persuaded us to watch it!
              We’re three episodes in and I’m struggling quite a bit with the tonal shifts between Tarantino-esque black humour and cartoon violence and the Holocaust flashbacks.

Also most of the characters seem to be comic stereotypes and some (the British nun and the film star guy especially) are just really fucking annoying.

The plot and the premise are intriguing enough for me to want to continue with it but it’s a real curate’s egg of a show.

Comment

Watched the last half season of Catastrophe (didn't realise we hadn't finished it yet).

Have been watching way too much of Rupaul's drag race (all of season one, all of the UK season, half of the second US season).

Watched the first half of Marriage Story. It's clearly only going to get more bleak from here on in, so I'm not sure if or when we'll finish it.
                ​​​​​
                ​​​​​

Comment

I'm starting to work through the backlog of films I've recorded on my Sky box.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was good.

David Brent: Life On The Road, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                    Watched the last half season of Catastrophe (didn't realise we hadn't finished it yet).

Have been watching way too much of Rupaul's drag race (all of season one, all of the UK season, half of the second US season).

Watched the first half of Marriage Story. It's clearly only going to get more bleak from here on in, so I'm not sure if or when we'll finish it.
                    ​​​​​
                    ​​​​​
                    It gets less bleak right at the end.

Comment

Catastrophe was excellent.

Comment

YouTube now has Judd Apatow’s Undeclared. Recommended.

Comment

My Brilliant Friend is back for its second season tonight. I hope it's half as good as the first. Also The Plot Against America, a book a enjoyed a good deal, begins. Perhaps they'll improve my mood.

Comment

We've just stumbled on a series everyone else will have watched four or five years ago in Bloodline. Episode 1 was enough to whet our appetites for three seasons to come. Lovely Keys location, good cast and direction, sex, drugs and murder and a dysfunctional family. What's not to like?

Comment

Parks and Rec. I don't get it. The characters are interesting but I'm not finding it funny.

Comment

Give it until the second season. I felt much the same way in the first season.Now I think it's one of the all time greats

Comment

Love is blind. It's terrible, worthless trash, but we're hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                    We've just stumbled on a series everyone else will have watched four or five years ago in Bloodline. Episode 1 was enough to whet our appetites for three seasons to come. Lovely Keys location, good cast and direction, sex, drugs and murder and a dysfunctional family. What's not to like?
                                    Yup, we were big fans of this. Currently enjoying the wayward brother as the lead cop in The Outsider.

Comment

The Minimalists is a interesting, low key documentary on Netflix about two guys enjoying a much richer life with far less.

American Factory...very good doc on Netflix about a former GM factory in Ohio reopening as a Chinese-owned automotive glass factory. A clash of cultures and values ensures nothing goes smoothly.

Comment

I'm up to episode 3 of Series 3 of Babylon Berlin. The acting has been outstanding again, especially (a personal favourite) Hannah Herzsprung as Helga Rath. I've read the book on which this plot is based (The Silent Death) but the TV series is deviating from that in many respects (perhaps borrowing bits from other Gereon Rath novels).

imdb is showing a Series 4 as being in production - hopefully they got all the filming done before the shutdown.

Comment

Finished season three of 'Get Shorty', it took me a while as with no UK broadcast I was relying on a dodgy website and I never like watching TV/movies online.

It was very strong, Chris O'Dowd's Miles is getting darker and more and more morally ambiguous as the show develops and it looks set to unite the main characters making movies together as happened in the first two seasons if it gets renewed. Though apparently the fact that the most recent season was seven episodes rather than the ten of the previous runs may be a bad sign regarding that.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-03-2020, 15:51.

Comment

I’ve only just started season 2 of Babylon Berlin and S2 of The Deuce.
                                            still- gonna have lots of catching up time available now.
                                            Last night dipped my toe into the Armando Ianucci sitcom Avenue 5. Had heard mixed reviews so was pleased it was quite good. Couple of nice nasty laughs and Neelix from Star Trek as a bit part

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                              Last night dipped my toe into the Armando Ianucci sitcom Avenue 5. Had heard mixed reviews so was pleased it was quite good. Couple of nice nasty laughs and Neelix from Star Trek as a bit part
                                              We stuck with it until the end and weren't unhappy about it. The nasty laughs keep returning.

Comment

Doing something we rarely do these days: watching the latest series of Better Call Saul as it’s released week by week. Loving it’s adagio tempo. It’s a belter.

Comment

I've got shelves of unwatched DVDs, including lots of boxsets, to work my way through, but I've also finally taken advantage of the "3 months for £1" offer on Mubi.

Comment

I enjoyed Loudermilk on Amazon prime

Comment

Working...
                                                    X