No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the first episode of Avenue 5 last night. Space disaster comedy doesn't seem like it would have much mileage but it made me and Mrs Thistle laugh a couple of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      I watched the first episode of Avenue 5 last night. Space disaster comedy doesn't seem like it would have much mileage but it made me and Mrs Thistle laugh a couple of time.
      We're up to episode six. It's decent. The mob mentality comes out nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
        Space disaster comedy doesn't seem like it would have much mileage
        Really? Futurama begs to differ.

I have to say the show has been a big letdown. It's become marginally better over time but it was a really poor first couple of episodes, considering the pedigree and the richness of the premise.

Comment

GY, you're misquoting. I didn't say that thing.

Comment

I don’t have HBO at the moment. I was going to reup so I could see Avenue 5, but I heard It is a disappointment.

Comment

Well cheers guys. Not sure if I'll carry on now.

Futurama is so much more than spaceship disaster comedy.

Comment

Yeah, the single-gear hysteria level gets a bit wearing after a bit. It's watchable but I agree we'd a right to expect better from those involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                  GY, you're misquoting. I didn't say that thing.
                  Said it...didn't say it...who's to know for sure?

Comment

As for Avenue 5, it's amazing how polar opposite the viewer reviews are. I've PVR'd it, but now have reservations.

Comment

Just back from watching Colectiv. Brilliant and massively depressing documentary basically about corruption in Romania. I recommend searching it out (based on production credits I assume it will be available on HBO)

https://www.facebook.com/filmcolectiv/

Comment

Finished Giri/Haji last night. After the first episode or two i had doubts as I was struggling to get into it, but it really blossomed. No mean feat that by the end of an 8 episode series it had built up a large set of complicated and interesting characters. And the modern dance bit on the roof in the final episode was brilliant. (It also helped when the most annoying character got killed about mid way through the series. I had begun to worry that we'd have to put up a with lot of him)

Comment

Oooh. I might try and finish episode 1 then.

God knows when though, there is too much at the cinema I want to see. I still haven't seen Parasite, and A Portrait of a Lady on Fire is out now as is the Kelly Gang film and Dark Water.

Comment

And I haven't gotten around to seeing JoJo Rabbit, Little Women or The Lighthouse.

Comment

Altered Carbon Season 2.
                              Totally off piste from the books, but that's no bad thing.
                              It's rather more story driven and less glam-violent than season one.
                              Refreshingly too, of the 5 main "goodies" 3 are black and one is Saudi. And all the baddies are white. (Actually the baddy boss woman is half Mexican, so not quite all white.)
                              And 3 of the 6 main characters are female n'all. But none of it feels like box ticking.
                              Last edited by hobbes; 02-03-2020, 00:41.

Comment

I watched season 1 of Altered Carbon and tried to read the book, but couldn’t get into it. And the first episode of season 2 felt a bit overwrought so I don’t know if I’ll continue with it.

Comment

The book is better in audio form as the narrator nails the hard boiled detective angle.
                                  I binged the first season because I like shiny sci-fi ultraviolence.

Comment

Big Mouth continues to be absolutely hilarious. Almost at the end of season 2 and can't wait for season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      The book is better in audio form as the narrator nails the hard boiled detective angle.
                                      I binged the first season because I like shiny sci-fi ultraviolence.
                                      That is how I tried to “read” it.

Comment

Turned on a documentary on BBC4 which is ostensibly about the disappearance of the dinosaurs, but it's actually about a gang of people wearing hard hats drilling a hole in the ground. I gave up after the inevitable breakdown of something or other, with the narrator droning "the team now face a race against time " I DON'T FUCKING CARE. We all know they're going to get the damn thing repaired, just cut to the chase and tell us what they found. It could be worse, it could be scuba divers going on about how bad the visibility is down there.

Comment

Anyone else watching Hunters? It's gloriously bad taste and violent and very entertaining.

Comment

So there’s another War of the Worlds. This one set in modern day Europe. Hopefully it won’t be as terrible as the BBC one.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              Turned on a documentary on BBC4 which is ostensibly about the disappearance of the dinosaurs, but it's actually about a gang of people wearing hard hats drilling a hole in the ground. I gave up after the inevitable breakdown of something or other, with the narrator droning "the team now face a race against time " I DON'T FUCKING CARE. We all know they're going to get the damn thing repaired, just cut to the chase and tell us what they found. It could be worse, it could be scuba divers going on about how bad the visibility is down there.
                                              These kinds of documentaries are almost unwatchable now. Even in BBC4, history or science stuff takes us for schmucks that need drama or some stupid hook to keep watching. Widely known (and often questionable) theories presented as Amazing New Discoveries. Not A Historian Neil Oliver and his lovely hair is the king of this bullshit. His shite on "Ancient Scotland" and "Clans" were pure fanciful fiction, at least 50 years removed from being credible.

Comment

Just started watching Safe on Netflix, but Michael C. Hall is too distracting and the story is what Ant would describe as "Netflix by the numbers". Two stars, would not recommend.

Comment

Same team as The Stranger iirc.

Comment

A Portrait of a Lady on Fire was wonderful. Really special. The best two films I've seen this year have featured women in green dresses.

I'm getting slightly annoyed that film makers have decided that it's too difficult or they can't be bothered to light things realistically. I think one of the things I admired about Knives Out was that the lighting looked normal. And a lot of effort went into that, Rian Johnson tweeted a lighting rig that their lighting person put together so that the light would look like daylight and also you'd see window shapes in the glasses of people.

https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1203374687444594689

I've only just come out of A Portrait... maybe more thoughts later once I've thought about it more. But i'm enchanted by it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X