Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just glad there will be more.

Comment

I rarely see the avatars because I do this on my phone. But I could change it.

Comment

You didn't need to on my account although there can never be too much Homer.

Comment

Final, final episode of The Good Place last night. It turned into a bit of a protracted sad farewell, but I thought there was still a lot of depth and interest in it. One of the few shows to actually ask deep questions about life and meaning and ethics and redemption. Lost its way a bit in later series but still great overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            Sex Education, your white text post.
            We've just started this and we're zipping madly through it. It's fantastic. And the production design of US in the UK, via the '80s is lovely. Never would have known most of it is Wales after watching so much Hinterland. Nice to know a country has both bleak killy parts and pretty fucky parts.

Comment

Watched the Greta Gerwig Little Women last night. I went in with high hopes but was a bit disappointed. It was harmless but did nothing for me. It didn't feel like much more than generic period piece. I'd never read the book, so perhaps I'm not the target audience. Florence Pugh was great (again). I much prefer Mean Meryl to Nice Meryl. There was way too much Period Drama Dancing: I've no idea if it's authentic, but it always feels horribly mannered. It's probably a great film, but it's not my kind of thing.

Comment

Recent watching:
                - The Long Shot, over a couple of evenings. Mildly amusing, but feels slightly forced. Doesn't really seem to explain why Charlize Theron is so keen on Seth Rogen.
                - Up to season 2, episode 10 of The Crown. Curious to see what a full cast change does to it next series.
                - Tried watching King Gary. Far too much 'cringe-tv' for my liking. Couldn't make it past the first 15 minutes.
                - Rick and Morty - I can't watch many episodes in a row as I feel too bad for Morty and all the horrible things he endures.
                - Watched some of The Last Leg: Brexit Countdown. Fairly amusing but was past my bedtime so I didn't watch the whole episode.

Comment

Just burned through the final half season of BoJack Horseman. That was a very very good series indeed.

Comment

Recently started watching "Parks and Recreation" with my significant other and whilst it's passable I can't help thinking that so far it's a pale imitation of "The Office" (the US version), can anyone tell me does it improve considerably?

Comment

It does get better. The characters kind of bed in. Lesley stops being really fucking annoying and nearly all the others really start to grow (with the exception of Chris Pratt's character who remains one dimensional)

Comment

Thanks. I think we'll persevere with it as it's perfect relaxation watching, in that it's not too demanding and each episode is only 20 minutes long, so we can fit in an episode or two whenever we can reclaim the lounge from the kids.

Comment

I recommend sticking with it definitely. My first impressions in the first series were mixed but then I ended up loving it

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            I recommend sticking with it definitely. My first impressions in the first series were mixed but then I ended up loving it
                            Great, we're about 4 or 5 episodes in so we'll keep going as it's been recommended to me by quite a few people who's opinion I respect.

Comment

Watched the BAFTAs, I don’t know why. I suppose it’s a bit like Eurovision- even when it’s been awful you still get pulled in by announcements, winners and losers.

There were some spectacularly awful get ups from the women: and the award goes to...Florence Pugh.
                              It is annoying that they chime in with the US awards season and nominate the same films, some of which (Parasite, for example) open here next week or next month.
                              And they do often adopt a smug tone of patting the British film industry on the back, which meant by the end I wanted anything but 1917

Comment

Watched the end of Bojack. Was left nonplussed by the finale, but episodes leading up to that were good. May have a re-watch this week. Really have to catch up on Good Omens on iPlayer.

A lot of Studio Ghibli films have been added to Netflix, so watched Castle in the Sky last night and will plough my way through the others this week.

Is there a separate thread for Uncut Gems? Absolutely ridiculous that Sandler didn't get a nod for any Best Actor noms. Brilliant, if claustrophobic movie. Non-stop tension and endless dialogue, very well executed by the cast and the Safdie brothers. Good Time, one of their previous films was on Netflix recently, not sure if it's still there, but recommended viewing too.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                  Watched the end of Bojack. Was left nonplussed by the finale, but episodes leading up to that were good.
                                  As usual, the penultimate episode took the cake for getting darker than ever before in the series, with amazing animation on top.

Comment

I thought Paget Brewster stole it with her 1940s Katherine Hepburn reporter schtick.

Comment

Onto 'The Stranger's now, a weird, confusing series set in Greater Manchester although it really looks like the whole place has been bleached clean and is full of posh houses. No one sounds like a Manc either...

Comment

We’re watching that now, I’m finding it’s gradually improving.

Comment

Bought the Judy biopic movie on Amazon Prime. You can see why Zellweger is getting the Awards nods for her impression, and it’s not a bad film either.

Comment

Watched Forever, which seems to have been cancelled. I think I liked it.

Comment

Are there really Welsh accents in "Sex Education"?

If so then I (perhaps understandably) missed them.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                                Are there really Welsh accents in "Sex Education"?

If so then I (perhaps understandably) missed them.
                                                Not that I noticed. It's a very good series. One that transcends age and culture, it also got more interesting in its second season.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                  Onto 'The Stranger's now, a weird, confusing series set in Greater Manchester although it really looks like the whole place has been bleached clean and is full of posh houses. No one sounds like a Manc either...
                                                  Bury looks quite nice in it. It’s not an optical illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    'Ray Donovan' finished very strongly in the end. Though it sounds like being renewed for season 8 is not a given. The finale hinted that the Donovans may return to LA if the show does return.
                                                    Confirmed today that it's done, which is both good and bad. Bad cuz I could have happily kept on watching, but good cuz it ended well and had a strong run.

Anyone who's not seen it, give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X