Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    It has the plinky fey acoustic soundtrack that has become both ubiquitous and deeply irritating over the last decade, but that seems to be the only thing that's aged badly.
    Oh I dunno. I still like the Moldy Peaches now and again.

Comment

A while back there was a "films we've never watched thread", and I mentioned some of them in passing to Mrs SB who has decided to widen my education. So far it feels like my self-editing was entirely wise.

Last night we endured Titanic. With some decent editing there could have been a 100 minute long watchable but bad disaster movie in there, something akin to Dante's Peak or one of the later Airport films. But somehow this was padded to what felt like 17 hours of horrendously bad upstairs-downstairs romance, appalling acting, laughably trite dialogue and a ridiculous amount of self-importance.

I'd always guessed that it wasn't for me, but thought there was probably some merit to it given all its oscar wins. I was wrong. It seems to lack almost any merit at all.

Comment

Similarly, we tried to watch Blade Runner 2049 last night. At the half way point, I finally said "This is so fucking boring!" and Mrs WOM said "Oh, thank God. Turn it off and delete it."

Comment

Here's a quick precis of my post from yesterday that has disappeared.

She's Gotta Have It (a Netflix original) - watch it but only the first series.

Tales of the City (another Netflix original) - don't bother.

Hip Hop Evolution - new series now out on Netflix. Watch it.
          Last edited by Jon; 26-09-2019, 22:17.

Comment

Euphoria - HBO - uh....philthy, distressing and wildly addictive. 8 episodes in the first season.

Comment

I'm probably still the only one watching it, but this week's episode of Succession was utterly wonderful. Great conniving and backstabbing and very, very funny. Particularly the football thing with Roman. I think it's my favourite thing on TV right now.

Comment

I'm watching it. At times it's a bit too cartoonish (eg Connor's whole subplot) for my tastes, but overall I still really enjoy it.

Comment

I realized midway through the episode last night that I don't think I'm going to continue with Succession. I just hate everyone on it and want them all to die soon.

Comment

That's precisely why I'm watching it.

Comment

I hate them, but not uniformly. The only two I have no sympathy for are the comedy characters of Roman and Connor. I even find myself cheering for Logan sometimes.

Comment

No, I'm sick of that "it's funny 'cause they're assholes" style of comedy. I'd rather watch Star Wars again.

Comment

It's mostly not a comedy, though it does have a fair bit of humour. I just like seeing these vipers tear each other apart to save themselves. Each is despicable in a different way.

Comment

I'm with GY. I love watching them trying to maul each other. But the humour lightens it. Kendall's "tribute to Logan" this week is part proper embarrassment comedy, but is also informative of where he's at in the head.

Comment

I've become matey with a new resident, and she's given me her Netflix log-in. So I've been watching some stuff.

Tuca And Bertie - wonderful cartoon about two best friends, Tuca the Toucan and Bertie the Thrush. It's gorgeously detailed with lots of little side gags and great surreal animation sequences, the characters are fun and it is warm hearted without being schmaltzy. I give it five stars, I honestly can't recommend it enough. Of course it hasn't been picked up for a second series. A bird watcher tries to identify the birds here - https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-avian-afi...d-t-1834730445

Love, Death And Robots - witty and dark cartoon starring three robots noodling around what looks like a post-apocalypse world, being alternately baffled and sardonic about those strange disappeared humans and their ways. One of the robots is a trundling triangular obelisk, which is cool. In the one I watched they found a cat and tried to work out what the fuck it was. I thought this was quite good, with nice slightly macabre art, but I doubt I'll go through the whole series. 12-minute episodes, which is great and more TV shows should do this.

I Think You Should Leave - a sketch comedy show in the discomfort vein. Discomfort comedy has to be very good (e.g. early Curb Your Enthusiasm) for me to like it, and some of the sketches are indeed excellent, others less so. Most fit in with the title - situations which abruptly and absurdly escalate until a character has to leave the scene. A fair chunk of the humour (possibly too much) is puerile, based on exaggerated rants concerning bodily functions. I'm not sure if I'm selling this but it is very funny in places. Short episodes again, 15 minutes this time. Stars one Tim Robinson, who may well be famous as his name is prominent (and shared with a former boss of mine).

So that's more non-sports TV than I normally watch in a month. I'd welcome more recommendations for Netflix shows - I'm gonna try 3% as I've never seen any Brazilian TV programmes, and my new pal likes Stranger Things so I'll probably give that a shot.

Comment

The first season of 3% is very good. The second much less so.

Comment

I liked Love, Death, and Robots. That’s my kind of thing.

I didn’t get into Tuca and Bertie. Just not for me, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                    Love, Death And Robots - witty and dark cartoon starring three robots noodling around what looks like a post-apocalypse world, being alternately baffled and sardonic about those strange disappeared humans and their ways. One of the robots is a trundling triangular obelisk, which is cool. In the one I watched they found a cat and tried to work out what the fuck it was. I thought this was quite good, with nice slightly macabre art, but I doubt I'll go through the whole series. 12-minute episodes, which is great and more TV shows should do this
                                    To clarify, this is an animation anthology series. Only one of them is about the three robots.

I loved Tuca & Bertie. I also recommend listening to the creator's podcast (with Emily Heller), Baby Geniuses.

Comment

Tuca and Bertie was fantastic. Stranger Things is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                        To clarify, this is an animation anthology series. Only one of them is about the three robots.

I loved Tuca & Bertie. I also recommend listening to the creator's podcast (with Emily Heller), Baby Geniuses.
                                        Ohhhh, OK. In that case I'll try and do the whole thing, though it's a slight shame I won't get to see the obelisk again. I don't normally go for podcasts but I liked T & B so much I might make an exception. I was really bowled over.

Comment

T&B is similar to Bojack Horseman, which I really like. But that’s a bit slower and more downbeat, so I related to it better.

Comment

Hanawalt works on Bojack, so the similarity is not coincidental. I'm not sure I'd call it slower though. Maybe more focused - there are fewer characters and theres' less jumping about between storylines.

Comment

Oddly, we started watching the most recent seasons of both The Deuce and The Good Place, and couldn't be arsed with either. Nothing wrong with the output, but just...dunno....who cares?

Comment

Okay, so you're gonna laugh or ridicule me, but...

I think A Very Brady Renovation is an utterly brilliant idea. HGTV knocked it out of the park with this one.

The premise: as fans of The Brady Bunch always knew, the outside of the house (used for establishing shots) wasn't the same inside as the Brady house. Well duh. So, when the real-life 'outside' house in Los Angeles went on the market last year, HGTV bought it and decided to gut it and turn it into the 'actual' Brady house from the show.

Then, they enlisted the six Brady kids to help with the renovations, sourcing of props, verifying of authenticity, etc. What a nostalgia trip. And they pulled out all the stops and nailed it. Every room, every piece furniture, every lamp, every picture on every wall is a perfect match to the TV show. The four planned episodes were such a hit that they're doing two more and then who knows what.

And now they have the actual Brady house, inside and out, to do something cool with. Tours? Air BNB? Who knows. But kudos for doing it.

Comment

I didn't know that show existed, but now I'm interested.

It's amazing that anyone still remembers The Brady Bunch let alone cares. It just shows how TV was such a dominant pop culture medium 30-40 years ago. Everyone watched it a lot and most people saw all the same shows. The Brady Bunch was, really, pretty stupid, but so many people now in their 40s - 60s remember it well.

You should give The Good Place more of a chance. I didn't like it at first, but then tried it again and now think it's one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

Comment

We loved the first two seasons. Then we started watching 3 and were just like...meh. I think it's us...not the show.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X