Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    I don't know if that's reason enough, WOM. It didn't really wow me. It's a cheap Marvel knockoff, basically.
    It may be cheap, but it’s not a Marvel knock off. It’s more satire. It’’s a Garth Ennis dark and cynical take on superheroes. He also did Preacher and Constantine.

It’’s a bit like Watchmen, but not as interesting and also a bit like Kick-Ass and Mark Millar’s Wanted (the comic, not the film. The film wasn’t much like the comic.)

The concept was fine. I just didn’t like it’s resolution or lack thereof.

The ending was just weird and seemed to only exist as a setup for the next series, which I probably won't bother with. It left a lot of questions that I don't really care to know the answers.
    Exactly
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 05-08-2019, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      Ok, the theory is that it's a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There are twenty minute long videos expounding on this. The more convincing elements that I found were:

Wilford is the grown up Charlie Bucket. He took the first name Wilford in imitation of Willy Wonka, and everything has continued to be branded with a large W. Willy Wonka had the technology for both unusual food (the protein blocks) and a self-sustaining factory (nothing goes in or comes out) and unusual transportation (the flying elevator).

The train was originally designed to be operated by oompa loompas, but they went 'extinct' (that's the word Wilford uses) and had to be replaced by small children.

As I said, it's not official and it's quite a surreal possible sequel, but watching the videos makes the theory bizarrely plausible.
      I like this idea.

There’s going to be a Snowpiercer tv series soon. Not sure why we need that since the film is good. But we are getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

It may be cheap, but it’s not a Marvel knock off. It’s more satire. It’’s a Garth Ennis dark and cynical take on superheroes. He also did Preacher and Constantine.
        I liked the TV version of Constantine. I wish they hadn't axed it.

Comment

I liked it too. It was before it’s time.

Comment

I keep seeing promos for Preacher, but I've never watched it. I should check it out.

Comment

I just binge watched three seasons of Easy on Netflix during the last week. I'm guessing it was discussed at some point in this thread, but if not: There are some recurring characters across the three seasons but each episode is kind of its own short story, usually about a late-20something navigating work/sex/relationships in Chicago. There are a few episodes that feature some of the best acting I've ever seen on TV.

I regularly try to convince people to check out High Maintenance whenever I talk with them about TV shows. Easy had a very similar vibe (smart short stories).

Comment

I keep seeing promos for Preacher, but I've never watched it. I should check it out.
                Season 1 is OK, though it changes a lot from the books, not always for the better. Season 2 is a mess.

Comment

I liked the tv version of Constantine making it possible for me to sell my old Alan Moore comics

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

Season 1 is OK, though it changes a lot from the books, not always for the better. Season 2 is a mess.
                    That's disappointing. I reckon that's what will happen to season 2 of The Boys as well. Maybe it's just as well that Constantine didn't live long enough to disappoint.

Thanks.

Comment

Is anyone / everyone watching Handmaid's Tale? Does it have its own thread?

Comment

Stopped watching after season 2.

Comment

Watched about an hour and a half of Chernobyl yesterday. Left the room after him out of Bread and Lock, Stock toasted the workers of the world. If there hadn't been a bastard mosquito bullying me I'd have probably stayed. In the other room I watched some German film called Familiye about Turkish brothers in Berlin. Was alright.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Is anyone / everyone watching Handmaid's Tale? Does it have its own thread?
                            Am watching it, and am up to speed. It never again reaches the heights of the first three episodes, but I'm still fascinated enough to hang on.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              I just binge watched three seasons of Easy on Netflix during the last week. I'm guessing it was discussed at some point in this thread, but if not: There are some recurring characters across the three seasons but each episode is kind of its own short story, usually about a late-20something navigating work/sex/relationships in Chicago. There are a few episodes that feature some of the best acting I've ever seen on TV.

I regularly try to convince people to check out High Maintenance whenever I talk with them about TV shows. Easy had a very similar vibe (smart short stories).
                              I watched a bit of both of those shows and they both just highlghted how alienated from urban American white-people culture I am. Perhaps I'm too old now and have been away from cities too long. But I found it unsettling.

Comment

Bloody hell, Bablylon Berlin is brilliant.

Comment

Is the theme tune by The Ruts?

Comment

I watched Long Shot last night and it was surprisingly very good. Actually funny at times. And this is despite having Seth Rogan in it, and despite it having unnecessary gross-out stuff that usually makes films just dumb and annoying. It's obviously a political rom-com, so you know where it's going to end up in rom-com terms, and there's a jarringly clangy trite "Republicans, they're just like us, got to look at things from both sides" scene, which I think is de rigueur for US politics films. So, you know, it's not a perfect film or anything. But it's a very entertaining way to spend a bit under two hours.

Comment

Season 1 is brilliant and it's a fairly rapid downhill slope from there. Season 3 was a load of shite. I'll try to watch 4 for completeness but I don't expect to get right through it.

Comment

I know I am very behind the times with this, but we just finished watching the first season of Fleabag. Some of the awful family Britishness is a bit too close to the bone. Very much looking forward to season two though.

Comment

Fleabag is remarkable.

I also really liked Longshot. The guy who plays the best friend is Ice Cube’s son. He’s very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I watched a bit of both of those shows and they both just highlghted how alienated from urban American white-people culture I am. Perhaps I'm too old now and have been away from cities too long. But I found it unsettling.
                                            I definitely see the urban in your statement but not really the white. Easy is definitely more white but still fairly multi-cultural given the Chicago setting. But High Maintenance is a very multi-cultural show. I've always believed that sports and drugs are two things that bring together heterogeneous groups and the latter is covered with High Maintenance. Although I have to qualify that statement to some degree since two different people told me they don't smoke weed and didn't think the show would work for them. I tried to stress (and will reiterate here) that weed smoking weaves through the show because "the guy" (a no-named main character who is a weed delivery guy) is the central character. But so much of the show takes place without him being present and very little weed smoking happens in the 30 minute shows. Still, both are very city focused.

I would say that outside of The Wire, which is very different than both of these shows, Season 2/Episode 1 of High Maintenance and Season 3/Episode 5 of Easy could be some of the best television I have seen in my life. There is a scene in that episode of Easy toward the end of the episode that was so good that I forgot I was watching a television show.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Season 1 is brilliant and it's a fairly rapid downhill slope from there. Season 3 was a load of shite. I'll try to watch 4 for completeness but I don't expect to get right through it.
                                              You're not really selling it to me. I appreciate the warning. I hate being let down.

Comment

I didn’t watch much. I just remember white people. But I guess that, given the settings, it was more diverse.

Either way, I didn’t relate to either show and these days there are a million shows, so I didn’t try hard.

Comment

Anybody else seen any of the 3 one-off I Am dramas on (UK) Channel 4? They are all a bit harrowing, featuring a lead woman dealing with some shitty situation/bloke in a downbeat Ken Loach-y type way, but in the end they are all rather empowering and very well acted/realised.

Comment

Good to see the new series of Derry Girls is with us. We’ve decided to re-watch S1 first, but we’ll finish Cuckoo before that. Bit silly but fun and the cast are excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X