No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've no problem with it (La Sig loves it.) I'm just a bit concerned we'll all end up pissed off and lost, like... well Lost.

Comment

Maybe it's just that my inferiority complex is triggered by anything in German, French, or Spanish. Or math.

If it were in Danish - a language that nobody outside Denmark could ever be expected to understand - I wouldn't feel so stupid. I liked that one Danish show about teachers.

Comment

In Australia The Dark is dubbed. I cannot watch dubbed shows, the lip movements don't match the words and drive me to distraction. I'd rather read sub-titles.

Comment

I wonít put up with dubbing either.

Comment

Dubbing is very 20th Century isn't it?

Comment

Yes, I haven't watched anything that was dubbed in decades. I'm surprised it's still done, especially as an increasing number of shows are multilingual.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                In Australia The Dark is dubbed. I cannot watch dubbed shows, the lip movements don't match the words and drive me to distraction. I'd rather read sub-titles.
                When it was 1st recommended to me by a student I played it on the default, dubbed setting and found the American actorsí voices for the teen characters annoying

Comment

Comment

Gotta love Portugal bravely resisting the dubbing that surrounds it.

Belgium, as usual, is its own category.

Comment

I once saw a film in Brussels that had four sets of subtitles. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                        In Australia The Dark is dubbed.
                        It's not on Netflix?

Comment

Portugal has a very high number of people who claim to have some facility in a second language. English and French being the two most popular. It seems that while they can understand spanish, very few claim to speak it. I suspect the actual number is higher. Is Bobby Pires the most famous french portuguese person?

Comment

Griezmann's mother is Portuguese.

There are a couple of dozen professional footballers who have some family connection to the Portuguese guest workers in France in the 60s-80s. There is even a club that has reached the third tier called Lusitanos.

Kevin Gameiro is another prominent example.
                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-07-2019, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              It's not on Netflix?
                              Yes, that's the Netflix version. Dubbed.

Comment

You know you can choose the audio, right?

Comment

Well, I'll give it another crack, but I haven't had to change the settings on any other normally sub-titled show.

Comment

I've yet to encounter a foreign language show/film where you couldn't choose the original audio and English subtitles (and there's often several options). I once had an issue with Battle Royale where I could only choose the original audio without subtitles, but that's about it, and it resolved itself after a while anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                      Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.
                                      Am racing through this on catch up. It's very good. Good writing, good acting, very funny. It has led me to Toast of London which is also excellent. I was vaguely aware of it when it came out in 2014 (I think) but never bothered with it. A bit surreal at times but I quite like that.

Comment

I could do without the musical interludes but other than that Toast is great.

Comment

Dumb question, but does Russia produce any TV series worth watching? If so, any on Netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            Dumb question, but does Russia produce any TV series worth watching? If so, any on Netflix?
                                            There's a series based around the early days of of the revolution from a couple of years back (I can't remember the name, but I mentioned it somewhere way back on this thread.) It was soapy but gorgeous to look at. There's also The Last Czar up recently, but I've no idea whether it's produced in Russia or not or whether it's any good.
                                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 13-07-2019, 16:06. Reason: wrong series title

Comment

Made it to the end of The Americans without it being spoiled!

Comment

I watched Meth Storm last night, HBO's account of the drugs crisis in rural Arkansas.

The misery of some people's lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  Made it to the end of The Americans without it being spoiled!
                                                  Satisfied? I really liked it.

Comment

I've caught up to the most recent episode of Big Little Lies season 2, and for the first time in a long time I'm enjoying something with Meryl Streep in. After all these years, who'd have thought that playing a super-plain mumsy character who's basically evil would be what she should have been doing her whole life.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X