No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Fleabag is certainly different isn't it? We've just started it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Yeah, it loves that trope of some powerful guy trying to intimidate somebody by beginning a
      conversation with a long-winded monologue about something unrelated like The Beatles or breeding horses. Of course, the ne plus ultra of that is in The Untouchables where Deniro/Capone talks about baseball before murdering a dude with a baseball bat.

I suspect that a lot of hedge fund people are sociopaths or, at least, not the sort of people I’d trust, but I doubt many of them do clever monologues.

It all reminds me of that Twilight Zone where the dead gangster thinks he’s in heaven because everything goes his way - like he’s playing pool and sinks every ball off the break - and then he discovers ***spoiler*** that he’s in hell.

There’s that great scene where that one guy who is closing is fund let’s Axe convince him that the $40m he’s left with isn’t going to be “enough” for him.

If I was making that kind of money those guys make, I’d have retired at 35 at the latest. But I get the impression that not many people in that line of work do that, which suggests that it’s all a very seductive golden trap and/or the kind of people who’d love to quit at 35 and do pro bono social work are not the kind of people who succeed in that line of work.
      There are certainly different types of people. I know of individuals who have cleared eight digit sums in their 50s by selling their business, then started all over again. I'd be in the country with chickens, and having lots of holidays.

Comment

I could live fine for the rest of my life with a lot less than that.

Comment

It would be better if Malkovich’s character turned out to actually be Teddy KGB and we find out Billions and Rounders are in the same universe. They have the same writers.

Comment

Killing Eve S2 was mediocre, we started watching "Umbrella Academy" which is good fun but nothing more and tonight we start on S2 of "Big Little Lies". Hope it's as good as S1...

Comment

Let me know (without spoilers, obvs). I've been keeping it on the backburner till I hear if it's any good. So much in my backlog that it's not an issue waiting.

Comment

I enjoyed ep 1 of Big Little Lies S2, mostly for the acting and characters which remain great - I even didn't despise Meryl as much as I usually do. There didn't yet feel like there was a lot of drive to the plot, but hopefully that's coming with some slow burn.

Comment

Same. Meryl can get up my nose, but she's created a very specific character for this...and I like it.

Comment

I've dropped HBO and Netflix this month an picked up Showtime. They've got a new show called City on a Hill about Boston in the 90s. I lived in Boston for two years in the 90s, so I was intrigued. It's got Kevin Bacon. It's about racism, corruption, violence, police, the FBI, politics, southie and loyalty and all that shit. It's produced by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, of course.

It's this, basically, but not a parody.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-06-2019, 13:53.

Comment

I tried to watch City on a Hill but switched to Fleabag after 20 minutes. I won't be watching any more of it.

I also want to watch Big Little Lies, but I'll have to start with season 1.

Comment

I’ve seen season 1, but will have to wait until I get HBO again to watch season 2.

Comment

I watched season 2 of The Good Place last week. Season 3 just finished on network TV, but I didn't start watching when it first started, and FiOS charges to see episodes of the current season on demand. As if their customers aren't already paying through the nose. So now I'll have to wait another 8 months or so until it's on Netflix.

Comment

Has anyone watched Happy!, on Netlfix? Colleague is telling me it's good, if weird.

Comment

FF is way into that. I found it too dark for my current taste. I did watch the whole first season.

I’m still watching Billions. It is a bit ridiculous in some ways, but it does reveal how power actually works. It’s all about favors and transactions. Money can buy freedom, because it offers options. But power like that is just a trap.

I’m hoping it ends with at least a few characters proving they are not complete sociopaths. The best candidates are USA Kate Sackler, Mafee, Lonnie Watley, the two women that work for Taylor, Ben Kim and some of the other lower-level traders. The doctor in jail, Wendy, Connerty, Shirmer, and maybe Bobby’s kids may somehow be redeemable, but it will be difficult. Everyone else deserves to burn in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                Has anyone watched Happy!, on Netlfix? Colleague is telling me it's good, if weird.
                                Yes! You must watch it.

Comment

I finished Fleabag season 2 this after. I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons, and I am under the impression that there won't be a third, but they ended it perfectly for that, not leaving any huge cliff-hangers, but also not eliminating the possibility of a continuation at some point in the future.

Comment

I wish there could be a season where she deals with her friend’s suicide a bit more, but maybe that’s asking for too much resolution.

Comment

Anyone seen The Rook? We need a new Netflix drama and I’m liking the look of the trailers I’m seeing for this.

Comment

I've started watching Big Little Lies on HBO tonight. On episode 3, which I may have to watch again because I kept dozing off. I'm not convinced that it's my cuppu. The domestic abuse scenes are a little uncomfortable to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Anyone seen The Rook? We need a new Netflix drama and I’m liking the look of the trailers I’m seeing for this.

Not seen it myself, but if you are looking for something on Netflix then I can recommend Black Spot (Zone Blanche), a French crime/mystery drama set in a small forest town.

Comment

White Spot, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Not seen it myself, but if you are looking for something on Netflix then I can recommend Black Spot (Zone Blanche), a French crime/mystery drama set in a small forest town.
                                              Ta Sean. We’re a bit lazy with subtitled stuff I’m slightly ashamed to admit. I think it’s because we are both doing stuff while watching TV: me on the iPad and Mrs. S knitting. So a lot of TV consumption is listening. Not that we don’t watch the visuals, but there’s a lot of looking up and looking down. You can’t do subtitles that way.

Comment

Me and Mrs of the Shed are guilty of that as well, but we find that when we watch subtitled shows the phones tend to be left alone a lot more and also there are a lot less of the type of questions such as "who's she again?", "where did he come from?" having been distracted by Facebook, Twitter or this place.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                  White Spot, surely?
                                                  Something I questioned myself. I'd guess that the phrase just doesn't translate if done correctly if you need to get the same meaning. Maybe one of our French speaking contributors can confirm.

Comment

I thought I still remembered most of the threads in Dark before starting season 2. I did not.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X