No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah, I came home hoping to catch Gentleman Jack, and couldn't get iPlayer to work.

Comment

Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        Just been watching My Next Guest Needs No Introduction where David Letterman interviews famous people for around an hour. Seen the Ellen DeGeneres and Barack Obama episodes. Really interesting, amusing and Letterman is a fantastic interviewer.
        The Tina Fey one is really good. They talk about why Letterman's show was written almost 100% by white guys.
        I know I also liked the George Clooney one, but I can't recall exactly why. It's been a while.
        I recently saw the Lewis Hamilton one. I don't know much about him, but it was about him and his dad, mostly, with some discussion about F1 in general. Letterman is, of course, very into motorsports being from Indianapolis. They take a station wagon out for a spin on the track and blow out its brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          Year of the Rabbit. Matt Berry does Victorian detective. Has its moments.
          It was good, certainly room for improvement. Matt Berry could read the phone book (or whatever the equivalent is now) and i'd find it funny. I've caught up with What We Do In the Shadows now, and the cameos in episode 7(?) were nice touch.

Have got through 4 episodes of Killing Eve, series 2 now. Apparently some people moaned about the first episode, but I didn't mind it so much, and the standard is pretty high. Adrian Scarborough is a brilliant addition to the cast.

Oh, and watched O Lucky Man! last night, which was a delight, except for Arthur Lowe blacking up...eeesh.

Comment

A bit more eye witness testimony to throw into the Chernobyl mix: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48580177

Comment

This damp ďsummerĒ weather is forcing me to stream more box sets than Iíd usually at this time of year. And thereís plenty of choice out there. Iím enjoying Killing Eve series 2 more than many others seem to be. Jodie Comer is just magnificently entertaining in it.

Years & Years (BBC) is a decent watch too. A typical Russell T Davies effort, with plenty of plausible near-future political & social disasters in it. Emma Thompson as the populist politician is very believable.

Iím surprised nobody else has commented on the excellent The Virtues. Maybe it isnít yet available outside the UK (C4), but do catch it if you can: one of the best TV dramas youíll see this year - a slow build personal trauma but plenty of humourous moments along the way too - with some superb acting.

Comment

I watched the Rolling Thunder Revue film last night on Netflix. Occasionally baffling mix of fact and fiction, and perhaps not enough performances for my liking, nor contemporary interviews with Mick Ronson. Pretty funny in places, especially the story that Dylan was inspired to wear face paint because Scarlet Rivera's bf was Paul Stanley of Kiss and she took Dylan to see them. Also neat was Sharon Stone's involvement. There's quite a bit to debunk. Originally I thought this was a straight forward documentary in the spirit of No Direction Home, but clearly not.

Comment

We're enjoying Shetland. It's fairly stock whodunnit stuff that's maybe a step below Broadchurch, but the scenery and exotic Scottish whatnot make it enjoyable for a couple of foreigners.

Comment

Steven Robertson who is Perez's second sidekick is actually a Shetlander. Not at all menacing, as opposed to his terrifying appearance as the ***old Luther spoiler*** psychotic twins in Luther.

Comment

Watched the first episode of Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a disgraced top American cop who takes a job as Chief Constable in East Lincolnshire.

It was OK. I suspect its going to have the fairly obvious redemptive story arc, and his relationship with his daughter will be healed and he will find emotional healing and acceptance as well. But ignoring all that guff, I think it's the first time East Lincolnshire has been the setting for prime time drama and it actually feel like it addresses the issues faced by the area without proposing an easy resolution like 'if we could all understand that we are the same underneath we could all get along'. That side of things is interesting. Rob Lowe, not so much.

Also Rob Lowe doesn't act so much as spit out lines in a deadpan way. Doesn't matter if he's doing comedy or drama, his delivery is the same note every time.

Comment

Finished Line of Duty series 5. Possibly the best so far, with series 4 the weakest (but they are all very high quality).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Watched the first episode of Wild Bill on ITV. Rob Lowe is a disgraced top American cop who takes a job as Chief Constable in East Lincolnshire.

It was OK. I suspect its going to have the fairly obvious redemptive story arc, and his relationship with his daughter will be healed and he will find emotional healing and acceptance as well. But ignoring all that guff, I think it's the first time East Lincolnshire has been the setting for prime time drama and it actually feel like it addresses the issues faced by the area without proposing an easy resolution like 'if we could all understand that we are the same underneath we could all get along'. That side of things is interesting. Rob Lowe, not so much.

Also Rob Lowe doesn't act so much as spit out lines in a deadpan way. Doesn't matter if he's doing comedy or drama, his delivery is the same note every time.
                          According to some comments i've seen online, there were too many Yorkshire accents. I heard that there was a reference to the Mighty Imps of Lincoln, but I can't be arsed watching to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

According to some comments i've seen online, there were too many Yorkshire accents. I heard that there was a reference to the Mighty Imps of Lincoln, but I can't be arsed watching to find out.
                            There was something like "It's like Lionel Messi signed for the Imps"

Which I thought was weird as it's set in Boston. When Boston United played Shrewsbury the fans had a big banner saying Pride of Bostonshire.

But then maybe the character was from near Lincoln. It wasn't clear.

Comment

Finished Killing Eve last night. Enjoyed the series, even if it's not quite up the standard of the first one. They've already commissioned a third, but no idea whether PWB is returning as show runner, or writing for any of them. Jodie Comer is absolutely brilliant though, but wish there was more of Adrian Scarborough.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

There was something like "It's like Lionel Messi signed for the Imps"

Which I thought was weird as it's set in Boston. When Boston United played Shrewsbury the fans had a big banner saying Pride of Bostonshire.

But then maybe the character was from near Lincoln. It wasn't clear.
                                I think I saw a Lincoln City car sticker in the trailer.

Comment

Recent watching:

Game of Thrones: finished
                                  Back to Life: BBC iPlayer, finished
                                  Ghosts: BBC iPlayer, finished
                                  Schitt's Creek: Netflix, one season left

I don't get much spare time to watch TV so when I do I tend to watch a series rather than terrestrial TV (the only thing we watch on terrestrial TV occasionally is Taskmaster or Would I Lie To You?)

Based on the above, any recommendations for a new series when I run out of Schitt's Creek episodes?

Otherwise, I do watch way too much kid's TV. Mostly an endless loop of paw patrol, PJ masks, team umizoomi, hey duggee, Hilda, Dora the explorer, Steven's universe, and Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom.

Comment

If you like Canadiana, Corner Gas is lovely. Quirky and well written. And, of course, goes without saying....Letterkenny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Steven Robertson who is Perez's second sidekick is actually a Shetlander. Not at all menacing, as opposed to his terrifying appearance as the ***old Luther spoiler*** psychotic twins in Luther.
                                      His acting seems a bit hammy, whereas the lead is excellent (making their scenes together a bit awkward, exposing Robertson's limitations).

Comment

INSPECTOR MONTALBANO IS BACK ON BBC4.

Ahem.

Comment

Season 3 of Jessica Jones is on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

His acting seems a bit hammy, whereas the lead is excellent (making their scenes together a bit awkward, exposing Robertson's limitations).
                                            Fair comment but he was perfect for the role in Luther. And his accent is great.

Comment

Catching up in Billions.

Comment

Series 4 has been good, but not up to S1-3 standard. This isn't because of a drop in standards but due to ***SPOILER BELOW***. The Wendy character is for me has become the strongest, even ignoring the fact that Maggie Siff is now my principal TV crush.

The changed dynamic of Rhoades and Axe being on the same side. Fortunately this appears to get reset at the end of the series.

Comment

Just got to the end of Series 2 (and the last one available, I think series 3 is out this year) of Bordertown. Really excellent show, I highly recommend it. I find the cases that involve the Russians a bit less interesting, but then again based on this series alone small town Lappeenranta already has more murders than Midsomer, so I guess the proximity of St Petersburg has to give them some licence to branch out a bit. Anyway, Bordertown, Netflix, watch it.

Comment

Finished with Billions, a bit too neat an ending I have to say but enjoyable series nonetheless and it looks like the scene is set for the resumption of the primal battle...

Persevered through "What if", don't do the same mistake.

One series I started watching as background noice and quickly caught my attention has been "Mindhunter"...it is actually excellent!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X