No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started Sex Education, really nicely done. Up to episode three and Maeve is the clear cornerstone.

Comment

The new series of Derry Girls off to an absolute barnstormer. By a distance the best comedy on this week so far.

Comment

It's already out!?!?!?!??!?! Fuck me. We just watched the last episode of Season 1 last night and I'm in withdrawal.

Comment

Not yet on Netflix, but I believe that they are two episodes into the new season in the UK

Comment

Yeah, just reading that. We may have to wait months, it seems. It's just a marvelously written and acted series. But as L said, there'd be people who literally wouldn't understand a word that's being said.

Comment

Only one episode in actually, UA

Comment

Another vote for Derry Girls. Love Sister Michael. Makes Greg Davies's teacher in The Inbetweeners look like Mr Chips.

Comment

Partridge, Fleabag and Derry Girls, what a terrific start to the week. Caught up on series one of Derry Girls over the past few weeks in time for the second. Watched it on catch up, which is just as well as I could pause over the full blackboard of differences between Catholics and Protestants. Absolutely brilliant.

Watched MotherFatherSon (i confusingly mix it up with the Fall's Mother-Sister!) featuring Richard Gere. First impression was that it was a load of fucking tripe, with an absolutely dreadful script. I can't see myself bothering again next week, it's almost as awful as Warren (I watched the first episode), which sees Martin Clunes being a miserable, rude sod in the ilk of Fawlty or Meldrew, but without the laughs.

Comment

Yep. Fleabag - loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      The wife and I have also started Umbrella Academy - we're both suitably hooked and are watching one episode an evening.
                      I finished it tonight. So much for pacing myself. When will season 2 be available?

Comment

Watched it on catch up, which is just as well as I could pause over the full blackboard of differences between Catholics and Protestants. Absolutely brilliant. .

"Protestants keep toasters in cupboards"

Comment

As was quipped on the Twitters, that blackboard could double up as Tory HQ briefing Karen Bradley.

"Distance between the eyes"
                          Last edited by E10 Rifle; 10-03-2019, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            "Distance between the eyes"
                            My nan said that. A lot.

Comment

With Sopranos and Ozark now fully watched, we, well Mrs B, seem(s) to be jumping all around Netflix. So far, we have watched the first episode of "Sex Education" (which showed promise but we haven't followed it up yet), "Working Moms" which was a grower but not essential and "After Life". I have to say that I was impressed with the latter. Ricky Gervais annoys me with some regularity but, in truth, I really enjoyed "The Office" (of course), "Extras" and "Life's Too Short" and, at least, his first stand-up. Didn't like the look of "Derek" and had the idea that he was on the wane somewhat so wasn't hopeful about "After Life". However, it is really well written and a fairly original premise. The misanthropy of the main character - which reflects Gervais possibly faux cynical world view - is, at least, somewhat understandable given the show's context and the gradual chipping away at it is, while not unexpected, subtly done. A lot of the characters are very broadly portrayed and somewhat cartoonish but not enough to be a turn off. Tony, the main character, is essentially a side of Gervais and a lot of his opinions and observations could come from his stand-up but, again, it does sit reasonably comfortably here. It even took Gervais three episodes to shoehorn in an anti-religious sketch but, to be fair, even here it didn't seem too unnatural.

Comment

The Mrs and I are working our way through Jack Ryan on Amazon. Three episodes in (we're watching it during our weekend together) and it really is very good. I rather suspect that if you wrote the plot down it would seem silly but it gets from A to B in a plausible way so I'll forgive it quite a bit.

Comment

Are there any American Gods fans on here? Season 2 is starting soon and I need to know two things: 1) would I need to watch season 1 first, or is it more anthology style? and 2) since I would have to subscribe to Starz, is it any good (i.e., worth $10/month)?

TIA

Comment

I think that you would have to watch S1 first, yes. It's on Amazon Prime if that helps.

Comment

Also bear in mind that the production had a nightmare offseason, with the showrunner and key cast members quitting. I quite enjoyed S1 but I'm probably going to give season 2 a miss.

Comment

The wife and I finished The Umbrella Academy last night - I thought it was decent, got really engrossed in it. Klaus may well be my favourite character in any TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                          The wife and I finished The Umbrella Academy last night - I thought it was decent, got really engrossed in it. Klaus may well be my favourite character in any TV show.
                                          My daughter is a big Klaus fan. i found him all a bit too Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

Seeing the adverts for season 2 of Derry Girls, Mrs Thistle and I started watching season 1. The couple of episodes we've watched so far are very funny. I love how everything spirals out of control to the point where authority (the top nun or the chip shop owner) turns up just as everything looks at its most awful.

Comment

Thanks to TAB for putting the blackboard up.

As a very minor quibble, is 'gilet' an anachronism for a series set in '96? Weren't they still called body warmers back then?

I enjoyed the first episode of Deutschland 86 the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

My daughter is a big Klaus fan. i found him all a bit too Captain Jack Sparrow.
                                                I like Jack Sparrow to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  As a very minor quibble, is 'gilet' an anachronism for a series set in '96? Weren't they still called body warmers back then?.
                                                  The prefect girl says "you guys" which also sounds like a post 2000 arrival on this side of the Atlantic

Comment

no that would have been fine. That thing of girls referring to a group of girls as "Lads" or "guys" takes a bit of getting used to but we're really not very big on gendered nouns.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X