No announcement yet.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stewart Lee - Content Provider currently available on BBC iplayer. A recording of his recent stand up show almost two hours in length.

Comment

Not up there with his best, but still pretty good. Also the first show in ages I haven't been to the previews of, so now I'm curious how some of the material developed. Interestingly even though part of the set is about the Comedy Vehicle being dropped, it is structured not unlike that show, with Alan Moore doing the interview segments. No sketches though.

Comment

Bloody hell, that was hard work. There was some reward, but not to compensate for the effort of sitting through some less than thrilling material. Before we watched this, I put on the Top Gear bit from a few years ago, as as taster of how good Stewart Lee can be. On his new show, he never was that good. The deconstruction-of-comedy routine is getting a bit tired now.

Comment

There was some filler, but there were some real funny bits too. I've just sat through about five minutes of Micky Flanagan, so am probably looking back through rose-tinted spectacles after that.

Comment

I kind of agree with what G-Man says. I think Lee has gone as far as he can with his comedy persona of a stand-up comedian who despises the art of stand-up comedy.

Comment

Really enjoyed the 'Snowlflake' show aired on BBC2 tonight and on the iPlayer soon, I'm sure.

The sister set 'Tornado' is on next week.

Comment

"Snowflake/Tornado" was my last night out before the first lockdown and earlier this year, when it was safe to go out again, my first time at a large social gathering was to see it again. Didn't want to miss the TV show, still laughing on the third time around.

Comment

I watched Snowflake/Tornado at Leicester Square theatre and also saw it in Swindon earlier this year. The latter being disrupted by a) a bit of gold glitter falling from the rafters, right in front of Lee, which of course led him to ruminate on that for a good 15-20 minutes and b) a drunk woman who would occasionally heckle. Needless to say I had to leave early to catch my train back to London so missed 20 minutes of Snowflake, so i'm looking forward to watching these again on iPlayer.
                  Will be seeing him do Basic Lee at Leicester Square Theatre in a couple of weeks.
                  Last edited by RobW; 07-09-2022, 09:31.

Comment

Well, just paused Snowflake for a while because he was pushing a joke for far too long. Again. And I couldn't watch any more, for a while anyway. I almost didn't get past his 'for example' joke 5 mins in for the same reason. Which would have been a pity because some of his stuff in this is very good.

However, he has changed a bit since I last saw him. He now bears an uncanny resemblance to William Shatner, especially when the camera is looking up at him. And I now know what happened to erstwhile partner Richard Herring. Stewart has eaten him.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                      Well, just paused Snowflake for a while because he was pushing a joke for far too long. Again. And I couldn't watch any more, for a while anyway. I almost didn't get past his 'for example' joke 5 mins in for the same reason. Which would have been a pity because some of his stuff in this is very good. .
                      I agree with this completely. I didn’t turn off or pause but the “for example”/“this is true” section was excruciatingly long and not funny. He can still be very good though.

Comment

Nah, that was very funny.

Odd, that they have broadcast 'Snowflake' first, because, despite the name he did open his set with 'Tornado', and some of the references to 'edgy' comedians that say the unsayable and Netflix seem out of place. Pity the Beeb didn't just broadcast the whole 2 hour set but broke it up.

Comment

I was slightly disappointed - the "saying the unsayable" bit was the moment Mrs D chose to awake from a snooze, and she was bemused and unamused.

Is there more Gervais bashing in the other half? He's a ripe and deserving target and seemed to get off lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                            I was slightly disappointed - the "saying the unsayable" bit was the moment Mrs D chose to awake from a snooze, and she was bemused and unamused.

Is there more Gervais bashing in the other half? He's a ripe and deserving target and seemed to get off lightly.
                            A little, but the topic is mostly comedians that get Netflix specials, so there is reference to Gervais, Jimmy Carr and a good bit about when Dave Chappelle played London. Tbh, due to my experience in Swindon with a fuckwit heckling and the little gold bit of glitter falling, I couldn't remember much of the 'Snowflake' half and 'the rancid tip of a cesspit'

Comment

Tomorrow' planned broadcast of 'Tornado' has been postponed due to the enforced Performative Grief Fest.

This may be of interest give the discussion above :

https://twitter.com/alreadytaken74/status/1568368641149730828?s=21&t=1v6GEQf2GTzn21RABNoknQ

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Tomorrow' planned broadcast of 'Tornado' has been postponed due to the enforced Performative Grief Fest.

This may be of interest give the discussion above :

https://twitter.com/alreadytaken74/status/1568368641149730828?s=21&t=1v6GEQf2GTzn21RABNoknQ
                                Oh FFS, that's really annoying. Was looking forward to that.

I was about to post about the "Brydon &" episode. Available on all good streaming services I think, or Spotify at least.

Comment

The praise for 'After Life' is one of those cultural moments when I think the public (including people I love and respect) has lost its critical faculties entirely. I know there are some works of culture that I disliked initially but then re-evaluated later but there will never be a time when I watch 'After Life' and don't think it's a shamelessly manipulative and insulting piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    it's a shamelessly manipulative and insulting piece of shit.
                                    So... like Ricky G himself then?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      The praise for 'After Life' is one of those cultural moments when I think the public (including people I love and respect) has lost its critical faculties entirely. I know there are some works of culture that I disliked initially but then re-evaluated later but there will never be a time when I watch 'After Life' and don't think it's a shamelessly manipulative and insulting piece of shit.
                                      I think it's fair to hold this opinion of it. I don't think it's fair to cast aspersions on those who enjoyed it. I raised my hand right after we watched it that I thought it was great. Lots of painful bits, but that's Gervais' thing. But lots of touching bits, too. Emotionally manipulative is a bit hard to pin down, as the current of that emotional finale was running right through the middle of it. Clearly it struck a chord with a fair few people.

Comment

Has Tornado been aired on the BBC yet? Or has it fallen to the current 'dead royalty' ban on comedy?

Snowflake was pretty funny, I thought. One kind of knows what he's going to do, but it's somehow always satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Has Tornado been aired on the BBC yet? Or has it fallen to the current 'dead royalty' ban on comedy?

Snowflake was pretty funny, I thought. One kind of knows what he's going to do, but it's somehow always satisfying.

Thursday 29th September apparently.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ery-poor-taste

Off to see Lee tomorrow night in his new show Basic Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. I'll be sure to find it hilarious and forget it all by Thursday morning.

Comment

The second half was highly enjoyable, and i'm tempted to see him in a couple of months time to see what he's changed. First half had bits about the last 2 weeks, the new Truss Cabinet and his most recent Observer column about the Beeb cancelling Tornado. Some nice 'banter' with the audience in second half

Comment

If I wasn’t completely taken by ‘Snowflake’ then Lee got me fully back on board with ‘Tornado’. Superb.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X