Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notorious

Anyone seen this?

An average made-for-TV film spared by the music.
    It doesn't tell you anything you didn't know about the Notorious BIG and seemed to whitewash (probably for legal reasons) alot of the more controversial aspects of his life.

Should be on the Hallmark Channel rather than the big screen.

Notorious

His mother was the driving force behind this film. That alone is a big red flag signalling to stay well away from it.

The guy was a no-mark anyway -- his best track is only any good because of the Mtume sample.

Comment

Notorious

it looks dreadful. But it can't be anywhere near as bad as die rich tryin' or whatever the fuck it was called, a movie directed and written by 50 cent with rapping and acting by jim sheridan.

There is something in the ad for this movie where he says something about changing the world, but having to change ourselves first. I bet its going to be fantastic.

Comment

Notorious

Jim Sheridan got into gangsta rap at the age of about 48, god love him.

He gave an interview to one of the papers some time in the mid-1990s where he was extolling the virtues of Warren G.

Comment

Notorious

Irish people should stay away from rap, we're even less convincing at it than the Germans for christ's sake. There are many reasons why we should stay away, many, many reasons, but the most obvious one is that it is impossible to say motherfucker in an Irish accent without reducing your audience to tears of laughter.

Comment

Notorious

Am I the only person here who opened this expecting to find a Hitchcock thread?

Comment

Notorious

No. Damn fine film that, and, though I've heard and been aware of the late Mr B.I.G, I can never really say he rocked my world. Supreme indifference, in fact.

Comment

Notorious

Ah,Yes! the notorious Ingrid. A damn fine film indeed. Great cast and one of Hitchcock's best.

Comment

Notorious

Yes, I liked it too. I always wondered if the title was supposed to have the second meaning of something like "No to Rio, US", but I could never formulate the question in such a way as to make it seem vaguely likely. As you can probably tell.

Comment

Notorious

ad hoc wrote:
                    Yes, I liked it too. I always wondered if the title was supposed to have the second meaning of something like "No to Rio, US", but I could never formulate the question in such a way as to make it seem vaguely likely. As you can probably tell.
                    If only there were some kind of puzzle genre that might allow such a piece of clever wordplay.

Comment

Notorious

This goes for most music biopics I've seen. Things like the Johnny Cash and Tina Turner ones got talked up so much, but they're TV movies through and through. It's as if people are more impressed by impressionists than good actors.

Comment

Notorious

Much as I've liked his performances, the career of Michael Sheen has been built on exactly this tendency on the part of viewers, hasn't it?

Comment

Notorious

I see Michael Sheen has signed up to be Tony Blair again in a film about the relationship between him and Clinton penned by the same guy who did The Queen and Frost/Nixon.

Put me sown as a big fan of No to Rio, US. My brother is mad for the Notorious Bio-pic though - when is it out over here?

Comment

Notorious

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                            This goes for most music biopics I've seen. Things like the Johnny Cash and Tina Turner ones got talked up so much, but they're TV movies through and through. It's as if people are more impressed by impressionists than good actors.
                            I thought Walk the Line got away with it because the John/June love story gave it the sort of dramatic arc biopics often lack. Otherwise I agree. I gave up on Ray after an hour and a bit: this happened to him, then this happened to him, then he went here and this happened. Uh-huh, yep, good impersonation, zzzzz.

Comment

Notorious

Strokes,

"The guy was a no-mark anyway -- his best track is only any good because of the Mtume sample."

Hahahahah, are you aiditioning as a talksport shock jock?

Comment

Notorious

He was a mumbling moron with absolutely nothing of interest to say.

He always sounded like he was rapping through a huge mouthful of food, parts of which were falling out of his gob. For all I know, maybe he was.

Comment

Notorious

You are a poor wind-up merchant.

Wait til Jason Voorhees reads this.

Comment

Notorious

vennegoor strokes wrote:
                                    Jim Sheridan got into gangsta rap at the age of about 48, god love him.

He gave an interview to one of the papers some time in the mid-1990s where he was extolling the virtues of Warren G.
                                    Surely in the mid-1990s, lots of people were extolling the virtues of Warren G? Seeing as that was when Warren G had just released his one good record.

Comment

Notorious

This was about 1997.

I didn't think Warren G was much of a rapper myself, though his (or his producer's) choice of samples was pretty impeccable.

I had to interview him one time, again in 1997. I went down to the venue where he was going to be playing that night, and clambered onto his tour bus. He was sitting down the back, playing Nintendo and smoking a joint. After literally seven or eight minutes of him giving me brief, unintelligible answers while not once taking his eyes off the Nintendo screen, I gave up and just walked off. The "interview" did run in the end, though in far briefer form than intended.

Comment

Notorious

Yeah, I interviewed him in '95 and he was completely monosyllabic (and pointlessly stoned). Zero charisma, too.

Comment

Notorious

And Nate Dogg seemed more talented anyway.

Comment

Notorious

According to wikipedia, Warren G filed for bankruptcy in 1998.

Comment

Notorious

The previous posts pose no great secret as to why, really.

Comment

Notorious

Regarding Warren G, you don't need to be a talented rapper to make a good record when you have the might of Dr Dre at his most creative doing his stuff in the background.

Comment

Notorious

Oh, it's a good record all right, it's just that the actual rapping isn't up to much.

Haven't played it in years, though. It's very . . . of its time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X