Awards Ceremonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awards Ceremonies

Was Jonathan Price wearing a Palestinian scarf when he gave the BAFTA award to Terry Gilliam last night? (I turned over just as it ended)

I've been collecting anecdotes about memorable/embarassing/politically significant speeches or gestures at awards ceremonies...

Brando famously sent a Native American up to collect his Oscar for The Godfather

Richard Gere infamously tried to get the assembled celebs n moguls to 'send out a thought' to free Tibet. (Danny Baker used it for a few weeks as a jingle, hilariously)

My fave awful Oscar speech was Sally Field shouting 'You like me! You really like me!' in the late 70s (?)

Some people walked out/stayed out when Elia Kazan got his lifetime Oscar, didn't they?

Awards Ceremonies

A streaker showing his crown jewels as David Niven was reading out an Oscar nomination.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

Greer Garson droned on for an incredible seven minutes after winning Best Actress for Mrs Miniver at the 1942 Oscars.

Pink Floyd have songs that are shorter than that.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

There was some incident when Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins were presenters, but I can't remember when or what the cause was.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

Vanessa Redgrave made a remark during an acceptance speech about "Zionist hoodlums" which got a huge jeer. About 30 years ago, this. They cut quickly back to Bob Hope.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

I remember an awards ceremony around the time that 'My Beautiful Launderette' was gaining plaudits upon its release. Rod Steiger was presenting the award for best screenplay and went into this overwrought, dramatic soliloquy for Stephen Frears's film that brought him to the edge of tears, so much so that it was hard to gauge whether he was truly sincere about it or had a touch of the old sauce before he got on stage.

Hanif Kureshi took the award and managed an embarrassed 'er..well' which set everybody off.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

Sarandon and Robbins made a speech in 1993 about the plight of Haitian political refugees with AIDS in America. Despite this, they were invited to present an award at the 1995 Oscars. When introducing them, presenter David Letterman said "Watch out, they're bound to be pissed off about something".

Don't remember reading if anyone actually walked out when Kazan got his Oscar but quite a few people - Nick Nolte, for instance - made a point of not applauding.

Comment

Awards Ceremonies

A noticeably large number remained seated.

Brando famously sent a Native American up to collect his Oscar for The Godfather
                I seem to remember that she turned out to be Native American at all.

In the late '70s, Dustin Hoffman pissed people off as well. I think he made a speech about how awards shows are an inequitable load of elitist crap.

And Niven's ad lib when the streaker had streaked was fantastic. From memory it was something like: "Isn't it fascinating that the only laugh this man will ever get is for showing off his shortcomings?"

And Sally Fields' Oscar must have been in the '80s. She won it for Places In The Heart when she made that speech. So that would be 1984 or 1985.

Comment

Working...
                X