Tom Cruise to feature in remake of "Red Dwarf"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or does he look exactly like Rimmer?

He's not red though.

Comment

I sincerely hope he asks a junior officer at some point, "
      Look at these uniforms... they're black, and covered in skulls... does this mean we're the bad guys?"

Comment

He (Stauffenberg) was in the Wehrmacht, not in the SS Totenkopfbrigade. So unless Hollywood made a real mess, he won't be wearing any skulls.

Comment

I'm very much drunk right now and I read that title thinking it was a serious post to casting for the VERY long awaited Red Dwarf Movie. You scared me Ad Hoc. Seriously. Almost as much as when i heard Martin Freeman was starring in the flim remake of Hitchikers Guide to ...oh crap...

Comment

Apparently Red Dwarf is to come back for an 2-part Easter Special with all the cast re-united for a tale where they return to Earth at last.

It is at this point I must regrettably introduce the word Dave.

Comment

It's quite important, surely, that von Stauffenberg was an old-fashioned military toff and never a Party member. Yet Jonathan Ross fucked up that bit of history comprehensively on Friday, and Tom Cruise just let it go by.

Comment

What's Red Dwarf?

Comment

you SMEG!!!!!

Comment

I was about to start seriously explaining Red Dwarf and then got too depressed.

Comment

At its peak, Red Dwarf pulled in around eight million viewers and was broadcast in more than 25 countries.
                      I'm sure they mean "counties".

Comment

As expected, Bill Nighy acts Tom Cruise off the screen in this one....

Comment

There was an American version made. I've seen the pilot of it (which follows pretty much the same script as the UK pilot). It's absolutely fucking dire.

Comment

Red Dwarf used to be on TV in the US when I was there. It was one of those bizarre selections of British comedies that were shown on PBS - along with Are You Being Served. PBS has the reputation of being the highbrow channel. These facts are not in any way related.

Comment

As expected, Bill Nighy acts Tom Cruise off the screen in this one....

That's the problem that Cruise must find when he toplines a film with a stellar cast. At least one or two of the buggers get the chance to outact him and succeed. I recall a review of the first Mission Impossible film where Cruise's scenes with Vanessa Redgrave were akin to 'a mouse being toyed with by a cat as if were a ball of wool'.

Comment

It's quite important, surely, that von Stauffenberg was an old-fashioned military toff and never a Party member. Yet Jonathan Ross fucked up that bit of history comprehensively on Friday, and Tom Cruise just let it go by.
                                Seen one Kraut, seen them all.

Comment

The film is getting quite good reviews in Germany. Few historical mistakes (the most important one: Stauffenberg only turned against the war when it was lost in about 1941, so his opposition was one to avoid total defeat or create a better moral starting point for post-war Germany).

Comment

I assume he wasn't a great fan of Semitism, however?

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                      Red Dwarf used to be on TV in the US when I was there. It was one of those bizarre selections of British comedies that were shown on PBS - along with Are You Being Served. PBS has the reputation of being the highbrow channel. These facts are not in any way related.
                                      Hmm, never made it to PBS in Los Angeles--all of the local PBS stations decide what they air. KCET here shows Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By, but not Are You Being Served. Also MI-5.

Comment

There was an American version made. I've seen the pilot of it (which follows pretty much the same script as the UK pilot). It's absolutely fucking dire.

Red Dwarf is too english to be remade by americans without having to be completely rejigged. That was also the problem with HGTTG. The books are so firmly rooted in 1970's and 1980's england (even though most of it happens in space, half of the jokes are about queuing and tea. ) that the movie just wasn't going to work.

It's interesting that since Tom Cruise has lost his credibility in the US, he's made movies glorifying the good german, and Dances with Samurai.

you must be pretty desperate if you're looking to shore up your career by appealing so directly to German and japanese nationalism.

I mean what kind of cunt makes a movie like dances with samurai? I'm not sure that its particularly clear that the samurai were any better than the nazis on any level.

Comment

I don't get that. I mean, look what the Nazis did in twelve years. The Samurai have been around since, what, about 950 AD? If they were like the Nazis there'd be no-one left.

Comment

Rimmer isn't English. Here, he poses at our old school reunion.

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                                              I don't get that. I mean, look what the Nazis did in twelve years. The Samurai have been around since, what, about 950 AD? If they were like the Nazis there'd be no-one left.
                                              the samurai were using swords and horses. if they had Gas chambers, crematoria, railways, and aerial bombing I feel they could really have made their mark. The nazis wanted the enslave and exploit everyone who wasn't german. The samurai wanted to enslave, exploit and kill everyone who wasn't a samurai.

They were unbelievably unsympathetic people.

Comment

But, like the Nazis, they looked cool in their uniforms, so we forgive them.

Comment

Plenty of big names in Valkyrie, but none of them really believable as German officers... Tom Cruise was about the least believable of them all; and most of his dialogue seemed to be whispered so that I hardly heard a word he said. Bill Nighy as General Olbricht was about the best of a bad lot.

This film would have been better made with unknown German actors speaking German dialogue.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X