Sketchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sketchy

I was tempted to post this in the youtube thread, but thought it more properly fit under Film & TV.

Anyway, Nerve.com has a compilation of the 50 best comedy sketches, many of them with embedded youtube clips. A lot of Python and Saturday Night Live, but also some SCTV, Kids In the Hall, Chapelle's show and a few classics (like "Who's On First"). The Python's "Dead Parrot" sketch comes in at number 1.

Not a bad way to pass a lazy Thursday afternoon/evening.

Sketchy

The list compiler sure loves their old-school SNL. I sometimes think that people look back at hose days with rose-colored glasses; my pick for the show's heyday would be 1986-1992, the days of Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Nora Dunn, Chris Rock, Jan Hooks, etc. My favorite sketch hails from that era: it's one with Hartman as Reagan, first as the grandfatherly type leading a troop of Girl Scouts on a tour of the White House but, once they've left, turning into a whip-smart planner of some kind of operation. (I forget what, though.)

And at first when I looked at the Nerve list, starting from 50 up, I didn't see any SCTV and was appalled, but of course they'd be high on the list.

Comment

Sketchy

Coffy,

If you're thinking of this sketch, I agree, it's excellent. I also agree that the Nerve people are a little too in love with the 70s-era SNL sketches, many of which don't hold up so well.

Then again, I think that people tend to like the show the most at the age when they were first exposed to it (my older siblings like the 70s stuff, my nephews prefer the early 00s). Like you, I prefer the late '80s cast. I went and saw an episode live then, it was hosted by Dolly Parton, and, objectively, one of the least funny episodes ever. I loved it, though.

Comment

Working...
      X