Strictly Come Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strictly Come Dancing

Is he that TV chef guy? He comes across well on his cooking programmes.
    What? Are you being ironic?

"I have taken great seasonal ingredients - celery, carrot, onion, leeks, potato, tomato, a whole chicken and boiled it all up. I then strained the liquid away, threw away the actual food and used the liquid as a base for the jus around my lobster vol-au-vents"

"There is nothing better than a organic free range chicken cooked simply so here is my recipe for roast chicken basted in marmalade and truffles"

Wanker

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

Lucia and Phoebe are right about SCD's relationship with celebrity, I think. The phrase "cult of celebrity" usually denotes either those who become famous for no good reason (not the case with the SCD contestants - popular soap actors is as low as SCD goes, and it regularly attracts people who would be too credible to ever appear on Celebrity Big Brother or I'm A Celebrity), or shows that simply recycle existing celebrity without putting it to worthwhile use. The genuinely difficult and involving skill learnt by the celebs on SCD puts paid to those accusations.

I can't see why the dancers becoming famous is a problem, either. They're becoming famous for being dancers, on the whole, which isn't "celebrity" in the negative, modern sense.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

Mr Beast wrote:
        Phoebe wrote:
        I love Eurovision, what did you expect).
        Then you will be as delighted as I am to learn from BBC news that after a series of no point fiascos, Andrew Lloyd Webber has made it "his mission" that Team GB win this in 2009. To the extent that he has been persuaded to write the song.

Presumably a team of crack popsters will be eliminated by a series of public phone in's on a Saturday night with many tears along the way.

You wonder why nobody else has come up with a similar format before, it's dynamite.
        It's dynamite, and it should have been blown up.

This year's Eurovision is a Lloyd-Webber standard, Disney cartoon-lite sugarballad.

Remember all those years when France entered what was seemingly the same syrupy song that was designed to not finish last, but wouldn't come near winning? This would be the B-side.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

And it appears the woman who won it is another Mariah Carey-like who thinks vocal gymnastics is the key to a great singing voice.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

Please excuse my interruption with a pedantic nomenclaturial quibble, but am I right in thinking that SCD is basically nothing other than a revival of the old "Come Dancing" format with the addition of the word "Strictly" as an utterly gratuitous attempt to piggy back off the success of that Aussie "Strictly Ballroom" film?

Apologies if, in fact, SCD is an utterly different kind of programme from CD.

I haven't been watching it btw, for my own good. I see Rachel Stevens is on it, and she always stimulates the baser side of my personality.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

No, you're quite wrong, and the two formats differ in just about every respect. Come Dancing was a tournament between regional teams of real ballroom dancers, in real ballrooms around the country.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

Although the addition of the word "Strictly" was an utterly gratuitous attempt to piggy back off the success of that Aussie "Strictly Ballroom" film.

Comment

Strictly Come Dancing

Indeed, to create a verbal sequence which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                  X