Mullholland Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mullholland Drive

Take it as a compliment. The highest compliment, of course.

Comment

Mullholland Drive

Okey Dokey, JV. :-)

By the way... I always find it fun to try to spot the man/character representing fate or destiny in Lynch's films. In this one it was the scary man behind the diner, in 'Eraserhead' it was the man in what looked like a railway signal booth (pulling the levers to make events happen) and in 'Lost Highway' I think it was the 'mystery man' (in black).

Can anyone think of any other examples of such a character?

Comment

Mullholland Drive

So I'm stuck indoors with a cold again, and starting to get properly drawn into Lynch's world at last. My curiosity was piqued recently because he's supposed to be producing the first Jodorowsky film for 20 years, which seems so far beyond "too good to be true" that he's already a hero. So I watched again, and now I'm convinced that Mulholland Drive is the best American film made this decade.

Watch it once, get confused, wonder why, read Clive's summary, watch it again - I think you'll agree. I've never known a plot explanation or whatnot click something into place in such a fundamental way. Usually, they're just a bit aggravating, like a marketing campaign or something, but here, once you have the basic frame, everything falls into place in a way it wouldn't with anything else Lynch (or any other director that I know of) has done. (I tried a little Twin Peaks earlier today, but it's not that good - too much camp, too much of a PoMo 50s fixation, just not the right format to get anything worthwhile across.)

*********SUPER SPOILERS, DON'T HAVE A LOOK, GRRRRRRRRRetc.*********

I'm just glad that film can do all of this. Lynch is obviously into mapping the contours of consciousness in some way, and it's nice that I can identify so deeply with the sensations experienced by a character who's been abused, become understandably delusional, failed to realise their deluscional ambitions (not delusional because they're talentless, necessarily, but because they wouldn't have got what they were really after even if everything had gone their way), and finally ended up an addict amd prostitute who has a random competitor whacked and then can't live with it. Cause in a way (no joke) we have all been there: it's just an extreme way of playing out universal human experiences. Profoundly sad and nightmarish, but also familiar.

jv - I watched this time with your "Silencio" bit in mind (not least because I've had a couple of night terrors punctuated by it recently). I think you're right about the theme, but I feel that you might might be off about the perpetrator.

The whole disturbance is played out at the audition with the unspoken (and disturbingly physical) "father's friend". Sure, it could just be a further displacement; but I think it fits more literally - like she can't help but re-write reality only so far in her dreams, it's always going to interrupt inconveniently. I can't explain why I think that, though!

Comment

Mullholland Drive

I found this...

-

Comment

Mullholland Drive

I need to get a postcard of that to put in my shed.

(even if she kind of slides out.)

Comment

Mullholland Drive

Hey, Lucia...

http://dlf.tv/2009/not-understanding-his-films/

I've not watched it yet, but this was, of course, the obvious thread to put it in.

Comment

Mullholland Drive

I watched No Country For Old Men for the first time the other day, and it reminded me of Mullholland Drive (a film I've also only seen once, and which I don't pretend to have much of a handle on) - things seem pretty routine for the first three-quarters of the film, and the plot chugs along relatively coherently; then, sudddenly, there's a scene that completely jars, throws the whole thing out of kilter, and from then on, everything becomes utterly fragmented.

Comment

Mullholland Drive

Thanks Clive - looks good, I'm going to take peek now.

One thing I meant to post on here was a link to the first episode of On The Air, Lynch's fucking demented attempt at "straight comedy" (or, at least, thats how he pitched it to ABC), which has washed up on Youtube. Apparently three episodes got broadcast in the US, while the full seven did here.

It's really good, in its way.

Comment

Mullholland Drive

The first episode of On The Air had me bursting blood vessels in my eyes. I've never howled so loud from a network comedy.

It was a brilliant little series.

Comment

Working...
                    X