Worthwhile sequences in crap films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The post office scene in Men in Black II, where Will Smith encounters an as-yet-undeneuralised Tommy Lee Jones dealing with the townspeople in his role as local postmaster. A scene of deft, ticklish funniness in an indulgent mess of a sequel. It's missed as the film chugs on unrewardingly.

Most of the near-death dream sequences in the otherwise fairly rubbish Flatliners.

Comment

Not so much a sequence as a transition, but the bit in Bram Stroker's Dracula where Coppola cuts from a decapitated head to a joint of beef.

Comment

"First ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan" owns this thread.

Comment

It might be harsh harsh to call Babel a crap film but the scene with the deaf Japanese girl in the night club was astoundingly brilliant. It was on a different level to the rest of the film.

Along similar lines is that scene in Children of Men although that is quite a good film.

Comment

What scene? And yeah, it's a perfectly good film.

Wyatt is right though, it's going to be impossible to top Saving Private Ryan. Minority Report has a few scenes that comes close though, particularly the spider one.

Spielberg's pretty much the master of this, as he's an excellent director of action sequences, but has absolutely no self-control when it comes to narrative and characterisation. So pretty much all his films in the last 20 years are crap but with worthwhile sequences.

Comment

I didn't want to spoiler the scene so I figured anyone who watched it would realise the one I meant. It's the one in the building when they go down the stairs. That's me being as vague as possible.

Comment

Ah. I thought that scene was a bit overdone, myself.

Comment

I thought it had to be overdone to get the full effect of how momentous it was.

Comment

The Pod race scene in the otherwise execrable "Phantom Menace"

Comment

The Clark Kent/Evil Superman junkyard fight in Superman III. For once, Richard Lester stops faffing about with the forced, corny comedy and gets right down to it.

Comment

In the completely pointless Christopher Lambert vehicle "The Hunted", I always thought the fight scene on the bullet train deserved to be in a much better movie. But then, so did John Lone and Joan Chen.

The final 5 minutes (or less?) of Blair Witch.

The sword fighting scenes of the dismal, dismal Rob Roy.

And in the "just barely" category: the motorcycle chase in Indiana Jones and the Awful Script.

Comment

The plane crash sequence in Castaway

Comment

The bit where Kiefer and the other vampires drop off the railway bridge in The Lost Boys . "Come on, Michael!".

Pele's goal in Escape to Victory and Max von Sydow standing up alone to applaud it.

Billy Crystal finally confronting Meg Ryan at the New Year's Eve party at the end of When Harry Met Sally .

Connor McLeod leaving his first love to die of old age and first confronting the implications of his immortality in Highlander .

The funeral in Four Weddings and a Funeral .

Comment

Matej wrote:
                              The final 5 minutes (or less?) of Blair Witch.
                              Seriously? I thought the ending was the weakest part.

Comment

Whooah, there, SR. No way. You've never had a house with a cellar, have you? I did, at the time, I couldn't go down into it for fucking months.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                  Whooah, there, SR. No way. You've never had a house with a cellar, have you? I did, at the time, I couldn't go down into it for fucking months.
                                  Dude, I lived in the fucking cellar.

Although I did think "Well, that's the last time I go camping in the woods in rural America without much in the way of equipment or map-reading skills."

Comment

Since when were The Lost Boys or Escape to Victory crap films?I mean, Escape to Victory is shit, but brilliantly so. And The Lost Boys is an 80s classic.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                      Seriously? I thought the ending was the weakest part.
                                      Nah, the rest of the movie was a waste of time. Shaky cam shots of the woods in black and white. Plbbbbbttt. For me there was one moment of real intensity and then the movie was over.

Comment

The Jabba the Hut stuff in 'Return Of The Jedi' qualifies, doesn't it?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                          Since when were The Lost Boys or Escape to Victory crap films?I mean, Escape to Victory is shit, but brilliantly so. And The Lost Boys is an 80s classic.
                                          And since when is When Harry Met Sally a crap film?

Comment

The speedbike sequence in Return of the Jedi is pretty damn good as well.

Comment

Well, I like them. Love them. But they're not exactly dripping with Palm D'Or nominations.

Comment

Escape to Victory is fucking shit. Watchable, but shit.

Comment

I wouldn't say either of these films are crap exactly; I just thought they were pretty average. However, they are worth seeing for the following:

Malice: Alec Baldwin's "I am God" speech.

Shattered: the twist (it's...astonishing).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X