Leatherheads / Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw both of these recently, and I expect they'll fly under the radar for almost everyone else.

Decent, character driven period pieces with a suprising influence on great cinematography and above average scripts.

Neither is perfect, both have significant flaws, but I was probably most surprised by the underlying impact and sadness of war in both, considering that both are essentially screwball comedies.

Leatherheads is getting quite a bit of press and advertising here. I watched it over the weekend. Bit too slow paced for my liking but quite enjoyable nonetheless. Clooney is very watchable in it.

Never heard of the other film you mentioned.

Comment

Leatherheads is bathed into a sepia aesthetic, it's a reasonably good attempt at "vintage". Clooney was good but Zellweger was a bit miscast.

Comment

My wife thought the same thing about Zellweger. I thought she was okay, but she was never going be as good as Hepburn, Russell, Loy, Lombard, Dunne, etc...

I'm not sure there are many actresses today who can really pull off screwball comedy, though Amy Adams (in Mrs. Pettigrew) is pretty close.

Comment

There are lots of actresses that could do it very well, but few of those are "A-listers". Heather Graham or Paker Posey could have pulled it off.

Comment

Working...
          X