X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastern Promises

Nil a fhios agam
    Member # 1386

- posted 30-10-2007 22:41 Profile for Nil a fhios agam Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Absolutely fantastic film. I thought it was brilliant.

It's pretty slow paced with some touching moments (particularly the birthday party) interspersed with some really shocking violence. However, unlike most of the gornos around today none of it was gratuitous.

The best thing about the film was the development of the relationships between the characters. There were great performances from the entire supporting cast. Viggo Mortensen has to be nominated for an Oscar for this, he was sensational. Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Pants
    Member # 404

- posted 31-10-2007 08:36 Profile for Pants Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post I thoroughly enjoyed it but I thought it fell a touch short of 'The History Of Violence'. I loved seeing a London on film that wasn't all about the obvious people and places like the London Eye and The Gherkin - it was very obviously written by the same bloke who wrote 'Dirty Pretty Things'. But like that film, some of the plot twists, coincidences etc stretched its believability a bit too far (I wouldn't have minded, but that jarred with the gritty, realistic way it was shot).

Like you say Nil, Viggo Mortensen was excellent. But I thought the crime family dad wasn't quite scary enough and Vincent Cassell was a bit OTT. Which sounds like I'm dissing it, but I don't mean to. I was completely absorbed all the way through - it was really watchable. And I don't want to say too much about it, but the scene in the sauna alone was worth the price of the ticket. Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Felicity, I guess so
    Member # 1104

- posted 31-10-2007 12:33 Profile for Felicity, I guess so Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post I really liked it, and the sauna (turkish bath?) scene was magnificent. Nakedness/vulnerability were played upon to great effect.

It's also a great movie for fans of tattoos. Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Nil a fhios agam
    Member # 1386

- posted 31-10-2007 19:00 Profile for Nil a fhios agam Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Cassell being over the top was initially off putting but the way the film developed I can see the reasons for that style being used. I quite liked the fact that the crime family boss was understated. I thought it carried more menace that way.

My initial feeling is that I prefer this film to A History of Violence but I still remember that film vividly despite watching it months ago.

I'd agree with you about the suspension of belief at certain times in the plot. Some of them seemed needless to me and I think it would have been best to keep it simpler. To me though, I can't think of many other flaws in the film. Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Fitter Happier
    Member # 172

- posted 12-11-2007 17:24 Profile for Fitter Happier Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post How bad is Naomi Watts in this? Maybe it's because she's playing a middle class English woman so feels she has to be all wooden, unemotive and overly enunciate everything but Christ- she was wooden, emotive and over ennunciated everything.

Mortensen saved this film from mediocrity, I thought.

Interesting Viggo Moretnesen fact: his current beau is former CBBC presenter Josie D'Arby. Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
    Member # 1570

- posted 16-11-2007 00:56 Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Great fillum. Loved it. Up there with Long Good Friday in the London gangster lists. See it asap. Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Hieronymus Bosch
    Member # 1209

- posted 27-01-2008 05:50 Profile for Hieronymus Bosch Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post It's all right. It doesn't get the pulse racing apart from the sauna scene, but it's way better than A History Of Violence, which was just preposterously unbelievable from beginning to end.

I thought the patriarch was convincing, way more so than the Mortensen character, who just seems to hide behind his three-feet-thick accent for most of the film. Naomi Watts isn't very good at all, she's like something from an episode of Holby City. Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    treibeis
    Member # 245

- posted 28-01-2008 12:24 Profile for treibeis Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post way more so than the Mortensen character, who just seems to hide behind his three-feet-thick accent for most of the film.

Although it might have been a foot or two too thick, I thought Mortensen's accent was the most convincing. Armin Mueller-Stahl sounded too German and Vincent Cassell's accent seemed to be on a European tour.

Eastern Promises

Eastern Promises - 2007
    Directed by - The New Flesh

The problem with The Godfather & Chinatown, is that they took 99% of what crime films could be about, or could be shot as. For instance, the cinematography in Godfather was the Sistine Chapel, the Mona Lisa, and the Last Supper rolled all into one. Sure, you can shoot great films outside, but there will never be interiors shot as well as that film. Ever. It will never happen. The apex has been reached, and we're living in postmodernism until the world ends and all of this art is wiped out and in 15,356,656,768 years they discover a new form of art.

And in any crime film, having a patriarch petting a cat or sipping some borscht or pontificating about the meaning of life with a dark interior with some low-lit lights in the background and deep reds and blacks will only have the viewer waiting for when Don Corleone is about to show up in his tux.

And with Chinatown, as with any movie this side of having the villain kidnap babies to drink their blood, you will not be able to top the infamnia that the main villain committed. For the rest of eternity, the audience is held captive to "been there, done that" plot twist or plot advancement.

Which brings me to Eastern Promises, a film with such great camerawork, acting, and directing, but something that ultimately ends up like so many other films have ended up, and ultimately - as powerful as it is watching it, relies on it's ultraviolence and shock value to bring an "authenticity" that the rest of the film simply does not have.

Viggo and Naomi are obviously great, and the film only barely escapes the Nazi WWII/Roman Sword and Sandal accent trap, in which lazy audiences who are turned off by subtitles are treated to English being spoken with both accents and the assumption that they are in fact speaking in their foreign tongue - which in turn leads to a greater sense of disbelief as it's challenging to understand what the characters are saying in an accent that is slightly incoherent, and since they would be able to understand each other perfect, one wonders what the point is to begin with.

Sure there's arm breaking and eye gouging and ass-crack showing karate kicks and ball juggling and dick twirling fight scenes, but it doesn't make the film any more important or necessary.

Incredibly watchable, but leaving me with a bad aftertaste.

(edit - Really bad aftertaste, as I'm doing an unprecedented downgrade. I really hate this screenwriter. I hate Dirty Pretty things, and I fucking hate Love Actually. Not that he had anything to do with Love Actually, but he makes the Love Actually of crime movies. Mawkish, Pretentious, Corn Syrupy, and Heavy Handed.)

Comment

Eastern Promises

I just saw this, too. HBO, eh? My problem with it was that you had to suspend disbelief way too much, because so many things just seemed unlikely:
      *Why is Naomi Watts playing amateur detective instead of the police being involved?
      *Wouldn't a child protection agency be involved with the baby? (And who couldn't see where she ends up?)
      *If I were in a steam room when a naked knife fight broke out, I'd probably dash out as soon as I unobtrusively could, but two guys who are there stay put.
      *That scene when the baby is removed from the hospital is just like the ones in TV cop shows where the would-be murderer gets all talky, conveniently allowing the cops to catch up and prevent it.

It seemed to me like the whole point was the horrific death scenes and one twist.

Comment

Working...
      X