Hughie Green, Most Sincerely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, who saw the made-for-TV biopic of Hughie Green, starring Trevor 'Shoestring' Eve? I caught the repeat on BBC4 last night, and I have to say I thought it was excellent.

I'm (just) too young to have any meaningful memory of Hughie Green's television career. I vaguely remember Opportunity Knocks, but I thought he also presented The Golden Shot (it was actually Bob Monkhouse), which gives you an idea of what a hazy figure he is to me.

However, Eve's portrayal of Green as an absolute monster with no redeeming features at all was, on its own terms, thoroughly believable.

It was also a fascinating look at the changing nature of showbiz and television in Britain between the 1950s and the 1970s (and indeed the 80s and beyond, when the forcibly-retired Green is sat impotently watching his daughter on The Tube and The Big Breakfast).

I would also like to add that Emma Stansfield, who played Green's mistress (and Paula Yates' mum), made the whole thing significantly more, er, watchable, but you might get the wrong idea about me so I won't.

earlier thread here

Comment

Ah, fuckin' hell. I did look, honest. But if you type "Hughie" into the Search thing, all that comes up is a football thread which mentions Hughie Gallacher.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:

I'm (just) too young to have any meaningful memory of Hughie Green's television career.
        No you're not, you just didn't watch enough TV early enough in your life.

Comment

I think SR mentioned before that he was part of a non-ITV family, so his ignorance of Mr Most Sincerely Folks is justified.

I haven't seen it yet. I feel I must.

Comment

Yeah, I just didn't watch enough ITV early enough in my life.

Comment

Working...
            X