• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can we have that rifle, then?

Charlton Heston has died.

...but in the interest of fairness...

Yeah, odd bloke, old Chuck was. Marched with MLK and defended the right of MLK's assassin to have a gun.

I'm sure he was the fillum legend the headlines make him out to be, but I can think of only three films I saw him in, and two of them were loathsome epics. I did like Touch Of Evil though.

Comment

Soylent Green (the second of the above photos) is a sort of good film. A dark, nightmarish dystopia with two incredibly haunting scenes (the riots with the 'scoops' and the finale), but ruined by silly manly fighting bits and clunky dialogue. Heston's great in some scenes and terrible in others.

*Planet of the Apes SPOILER below*

I've still not seen Planet of the Apes. Now I know the ending anyway, but do they really have to have a picture of the Statue of Liberty on the cover of the DVD?

Comment

Major Dundee is a pretty damn good film. I 've always wanted a still of the scene showing Heston and Richard Harris standing in front of a wall with 'Viva Dundee' painted on it.

Comment

Marched with MLK and defended the right of MLK's assassin to have a gun.
          I don't find that an "odd" position, really, at least it's consistent. I doubt the NRA itself had much of an agenda about the civil rights movement, although I'm sure a fair few of its members did - or that the civil rights movement gave much of a toss about whether guns should be banned or not. Venn diagrams, and all that.

Comment

I always do a bit of blubbering at that Soylent Green/ Edward G. moment. Made more poignant still by the fact that it was his last film. An excellently realised sci-fi flick, I reckon.

Chuck was in a very good adventure film that has kinda got forgotten, I think: 'The Naked Jungle'

(IMDb): The Leiningen South American cocoa plantation is threatened by a 2-mile-wide, 20-mile-long column of army ants.
            Not for those with a phobia of the little fellers.

Comment

He wasn't one for subtlety, was he?

Comment

I have a soft spot for him. Mad, but always interesting to watch. He's just a hollywood legend.

He also has (arguably) the best cameo of all time in Wayne's World 2.

Comment

The Omega Man freaked me out when I was little. Not as much as Donald Sutherland's Body Snatchers, but still.

Comment

Heston stole the "pry it from my cold dead hands" line from a bumper sticker that has been festooned on American cars for decades.

You can see a glimpse of this sticker in the opening minutes of John Milius's pro-Reagan, anti-USSR turkey Red Dawn.

Comment

Hieronymus Bosch wrote:
                      Heston stole the "pry it from my cold dead hands" line from a bumper sticker that has been festooned on American cars for decades.
                      Is it really stealing a quote that the audience that he's delivering it to are all familiar with? I don't think he tried to pass it off as his own invention.

Comment

I'm not calling him a plagiarist or anything (not that he will care either way now), but the mass media seems to have thought it was one of his own bon mots rather than an old quote. That's always the way in which it gets reported, anyway.

Comment

(vaguely related to Charlton Heston) I happened to catch the end of a Nascar race last night (waiting for something else, honest), and I realised that they were awarding guns as prizes. Seriously.

Comment

Comment

Yep, Heston seemed to weirdly metamorphosise into this haggard old right-wing duffer from his fifties/sixties heyday, didn't he? Bizarre considering he starred in the type of films that mirrored to some extent the dark side of his country during that time - Planet of the Apes, Omega Man and Soylent Green are fairly acerbic comments on the state of those turbulent days. He was almost a poster boy for them, you could say.

But then, most of those actors and performers who were avowedly liberal in early days have turned conservative with a swift vengeance. James Woods, once Democrat, now won't hear a bad word said against Bush and Guiliani, and Jon Voight, once the star of Coming Home, now appears on Bill O'Reilly's show and is a supporter of Bush's so-called 'War On Terror' (which may explain the rift between him and Angelina Jolie).

Comment

That's a shame - I really like those two last actors. Gone off them a bit now.

Comment

I always thought the "cold, dead hands" line was an old NRA slogan predating Heston and was largely reported as such? I suppose people might have got a differing impression from 'Bowling for Columbine'

Comment

Working...
                                  X