Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new coen brothers film

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
    Kermode thinks The Big Lebowski is rubbish, so his judgement is obviously flawed.
    Kermode doesn't do comedy very well generally. I don't think I've ever heard him laugh.

Comment

In this week's podcast he says he laughed all the way through the new Ricky Gervais vehicle 'Ghost Town', making it his film of the week (just pipping High School Musical 3).

He slated the new Bond film.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
        Less is more. He tries too hard to show how much of a goon he can be instead of letting the script take him there. The rest of the cast, perhaps because most of them have worked with Coens before, have a similar tone, one step towards quirky, instead of the two or three that Pitt takes. It's a great part, but less than a great performance. I don't think he was trying to upstage anyone, just not hitting quite the right note. He's not known for comedy and never dealt with what, by reputation, is a fairly idiosyncratic directoral approach, so it's not really surprising.
        I can see what you mean, in that case. For me personally it wasn't a problem, but I can understand, now, why it would be.

His line 'Pffff... you think that's a Schwinn!' was one of my favourite bits, though.

Comment

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
          In this week's podcast he says he laughed all the way through the new Ricky Gervais vehicle 'Ghost Town'
          I've liked every Coen Brothers film I've ever seen (and I've seen most of them) and I laughed all the way through Ghost Town at the weekend.

What does that make me?

Comment

Deeply, deeply odd for digging this thread back up.

Comment

I've liked every Coen Brothers film I've ever seen.
              Even 'The Ladykillers', ctt? I thought it was misguided, lazy and pretty poor.

Comment

You've got the wrong guy!

That's a willie1foot quote...

Comment

Soz!

Comment

I find it difficult to fathom that anyone doesn't - perhaps grudgingly - recognize that Miller's Crossing and The Big Lebowski are bona fide, genuine modern classics. Surely No Country for Old Men will reach the same status in years to come.

On the other hand, Fargo had a tediousness that was unmatched by any movie save, perhaps, Forrest Gump.

Comment

Fargo had a tediousness that was unmatched by any movie save, perhaps, Forrest Gump
                      Wasn't that intentional? In any case, I think it was part of the appeal (in Fargo). These were ordinary folk with (very) ordinary lives caught up in extraordinary events.

I was watching it again last night and couldn't really see the point in the scene between Marge and the Japanese bloke in the Radison. Was it to show that she was hopelessly devoted to her husband, and so wouldn't be led astray?

Comment

I love most of the Coen Brother's films, especially Fargo, but I thought Burn After Reading was crap.

Comment

My lovely wife left for a conference in Berlin, so I had to make my own fun this evening. Decided to rewatch this. GY summarized it well:

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                          It's no Lebowski, but I laughed a lot.
                          Brad Pitt not taking himself too seriously and getting punched in the face is worth the price of admission alone. JK Simmons does sell the exasperation with the clusterfuck at the end really well. This is no Oscar bait, but it's a good screwball popcorn movie.

Comment

"You think that's a Schwinn?"

Comment

I need to watch this again. Haven't seen it since release. I wonder how I'd feel about it now after a decade of Coen films.

Comment

Just checked...not on Netflix.

Comment

By coincidence, I recently gave Burn After Reading another shot. It wasn’t as bad as I thought the first time, but it didn’t do much for me. Brad Pitt is the best part of it.

I

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Just checked...not on Netflix.
                                    Huh. I watched it on Netflix.

Bloody regionalization...

Comment

I’ve re-watched it within the last couple of weeks and loved it, more than I remembered. It’s slotted itself in at no. 3 in my Coen List under Lebowski and Fargo. When watching their better stuff it always feels as though the cast are enjoying themselves.

Comment

I know I saw it when it first came out and liked it, but I watched it a couple months back on Netfilix and really dug it. Big Lebowski is tops for me, but I'd probably rank Lebowski as one of my favorite films.

Comment

Working...
                                        X