Time Travel at the BFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel at the BFI

The BFI are having an all-night time travel festival, which is fair enough, but look at the fucking selection of films! What did they do - rent 4 dvds for £5 from Blockbuster or something?! Christ, that's a bad line up! Only 'Twelve Monkeys' offers any kind of quality and even then it's a film based on another one - Chris Marker's far superior 'La Jetee'.

Sure, I love 'Terminator 2' and 'Highlander' as tacky 'guilty pleasures', but this represents a great opportunity missed, as far as I'm concerned. Aside from 'La Jetee', they could also have had 'Donnie Darko', 'Solaris', 'The Time Machine' or even lighter-hearted things like 'Groundhog Day' or the Bill & Ted movies. Instead, that selection they plumped for just shows a really leaden imagination.

So - what others have I forgotten? What would you like to see added to a bill so themed?

Time Travel at the BFI

Got to have 'Planet of the Apes', especially with Heston just having popped his clogs

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

Time Bandits is the must-have. And Timecop, of course.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

Hang on: they've picked "Back To The Future Part II" ahead of the original?

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

What about Bill and Ted? Are they showing that?

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

Well if they didn't find room for wacked-out-1977-Czechoslovakian-assassinating-Hitler caper Tomorrow I'll Wake Up And Scald Myself With Tea then they're simply not trying.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

BTTF Part 2, Highlander, Twelve Monkeys and Terminator 2.

I've got BTTF, Bill & Ted, Planet Of The Apes and Groundhog Day. I should go head to head with them.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

It's been a few years since I've seen it but I don't remember there being any actual time-travelling (in the usual sense of the term) by the characters in Highlander . Isn't it just set over several hundred years with a non-linear structure?

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

Johanista wrote:
                  It's been a few years since I've seen it but I don't remember there being any actual time-travelling (in the usual sense of the term) by the characters in Highlander . Isn't it just set over several hundred years with a non-linear structure?
                  Actually, yes - you're right. It doesn't qualify at all. Further evidence of the idiocy of the so-called programming of that 'festival'.

Anyhow...

'Primer'

'The Butterfly Effect'

'Somewhere in Time'

'Peggy Sue Got Married'

There's a list here.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

It's not a great looking line-up. But although there's lot of great arty films about time, there aren't that many brilliant films about time travel, are there?

Something like Mirror is amazing, but there's no specific traveling involved, is there. Solaris doesn't have time travel either, unless it's in a very marginal part of the film.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

To be honest, the whole time series looks a bit ropey. There should be loads of amazing films in there.

Mind you, you can watch films at BFI Southbank for only a fiver on Tuesdays. Worth taking time out for that, I'd say.

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

I mean, what do Fata Morgana, Dr Strangelove and The Hudsucker Proxy have to do with time, except in an extremely vague sense?

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

The Hudsucker Proxy? I enjoy it but apart from the characteristic red herring motif of the clock . . .

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

I think the argument is it's a 'time capsule' of the past. Unlike, say, LA Confidential, Chinatown, or, er....

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

How has "The Time Travellers" not troubled the scorer on this one?

Comment

Time Travel at the BFI

I'd like to see Idaho Transfer and Slaughterhouse-Five on the bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X