The Favourite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Favourite

So, went to see this yesterday. Olivia Colman, Rachel Wiesz and Emma Stone give uniformly outstanding performances. But ultimately felt like I wanted to boo at the ending. It just felt as bloated and as self indulgent as the rest of the film. I didn't enjoy The Lobster so I approached this with caution and perhaps that has informed my response to this film.

Personally, if I want to watch a modern interpretation of Restoration England, I would rather watch The Draughtsman's Contract. Nothing in The Favourite is done better than in that film. The Favourite has three things going for it that TDC doesn't - Olivia Colman, Rachel Wiesz and Emma Stone, i.e. three strong female characters. But to be honest, Janet Suzman *owns* TDC.

Anyway, I would welcome any explanations as to why I should review my opinion of The Favourite.

Way too many camera-stood-right-in-front-of-your-eyes, and the actress/actor walking from far away in a castle/mansion hallway towards the camera from far, to a score.
    I lost count of such shots.

I agree about the performances though. Really great.

I very much looked forward to it, but was mostly "meh" afterwards.

Comment

I haven't seen this yet, but I could not keep my eyes open during The Draughtsman's Contract, and also fell asleep in another Greenaway film. Something about the way the screen is static.
      I don't like films where the camera jumps around too much either.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
        I haven't seen this yet, but I could not keep my eyes open during The Draughtsman's Contract, and also fell asleep in another Greenaway film. Something about the way the screen is static.
        Possibly an over-reaction to being at art school with Ian Drury.

Comment

I saw it tonight- not my genre (neither costume drama nor films about the royals)- but I was really quite impressed.

Comment

It hasn’t been released near me, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
              So, went to see this yesterday. Olivia Colman, Rachel Wiesz and Emma Stone give uniformly outstanding performances. But ultimately felt like I wanted to boo at the ending. It just felt as bloated and as self indulgent as the rest of the film. I didn't enjoy The Lobster so I approached this with caution and perhaps that has informed my response to this film.
              This is actually encouraging. I adore The Lobster, and my main concern with The Favourite is that it's going to be too much period drama and not enough weirdo affectless dark comedy.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint GY - the comedy is indeed dark. But there's also far far too much period drama.

Comment

I watched it last night, and have enjoyed Lanthimos' previous English-language films. Still not seen Dogtooth, i'm ashamed to say. I did enjoy The Favourite, but of course critical acclaim is way over the top. Rachel Weisz is fucking brilliant in it though, and should get every award going (she won't). I did find it amusing, and laughed out loud a few times. The weird lens camera angle thing is overdone, but it is overall, beautifully shot. Really good performance from Nicholas Hoult too, and great to see James Smith (Glenn, from The Thick of It) given a prominent role.

Comment

The Lobster > Dogtooth > Killing of a Sacred Deer

Comment

Saw it tonight. The acting by the three leads is as excellent as everyone says and I’d echo the praise for Nicholas Hoult and James Smith in their supporting roles too, the former especially.

It’s scabrously funny in places, though that ebbs away in the second half as the personal and political machinations take over. The ending is a little unsatisfactory, mind - it just seems to drift off.

I hadn’t been tempted to see the director’s previous work based on what I’ve heard about it and, given the major pluses of ‘The Favourite’ are the acting and script, I’m not sure that’s changed.

Comment

Dogtooth is an amazing experience. You’ll never be able to say the name Bruce again

Comment

The best bits of The Favourite are all in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYb-wkehT1g. The remaining 118 minutes, I thought, were a bit flat.

ETA: And the titles (opening and closing credits) are abominable!
                          Last edited by Aitch; 13-01-2019, 11:23.

Comment

Very much enjoyed it. Reminded me of Hunderby in a lot of ways. Davis's character is basically Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone in one person.

Comment

Watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Although I suspect Lanthimos' intent for the final scene wasn't to make you think of the Father Ted episode "The Plague".

Comment

Working...
                              X