Lois Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lois Weber

They are about to release a DVD of Lois Weber's surviving films restored after years of work. Anyone interested in silent films, women as directors in Hollywood or social comment should search them out.

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. I've recently read Karina Longworth's Seduction: Sex, Lies, and Stardom in Howard Hughes's Hollywood which is a depressing, but much needed, study of women in American film from WW1 to the 1950s. Weber is briefly discussed as an example of what some intelligent, talented women were able to achieve prior to the emergence of the studio system. Her connection to Hughes is, indirectly, through actress Billie Dove who starred in several of Weber's films and, though largely forgotten now, was the most popular female actor in Hollywood in the early 1920s.

Comment

Will have to add that to my ever growing list of required reading.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Longworth's podcast - You Must Remember This - and it covers much of the same ground as her books do. Listening to a Q and A she did recently on her podcast, I found out that her partner is Rian Johnson, who directed The Last Jedi.

Comment

Yes, they've been together for quite a while.

And the podcast is outstanding.

There's a book on Weber that Longworth used a good deal.
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-01-2019, 02:54.

Comment

Working...
          X