Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone on OTF still go to the cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But people are terrible at timing when they come in and there are always some who arrive after the film starts (they always have seats in the middle of rows it seems).

At least BFI don't have long trailers/ads. Does the Barbican? I love the cinema there but it's so rare that the timings work for me.

Comment

I'd like to go to a nice comfy cinema where the lights go down properly and no-one talks or moves once the film is about to start.

Does anywhere guarantee the above?

Comment

In fairness, the Empire in Walthamstow was fairly quiet last night. There was some phone use (checking for messages) but it didn't piss me off so much as usual cos the film was mediocre.

I gave up my Cineworld Unlimited card because of behaviour of customers, culminating in some woman answering her phone throughout House of Gucci, and me storming out. (I didn't miss much, it turned out). I miss the unlimited visits for £20 aspect, but am much more relaxed at the cinema, surrounding by people who respect others.

Had poor experience at Crouch End Arthouse for the recent Bowie doc, but that's cos a few arseholes came into the wrong screen (there's only 2) and decided to take their seats despite the fact that we'd been watching the film for a good hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
          But people are terrible at timing when they come in and there are always some who arrive after the film starts (they always have seats in the middle of rows it seems).

At least BFI don't have long trailers/ads. Does the Barbican? I love the cinema there but it's so rare that the timings work for me.
          Don't think the Barbican have a lot of trailers iirc. Maybe 10-15 minutes, compared to 20-25 for larger chains.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            I'd like to go to a nice comfy cinema where the lights go down properly and no-one talks or moves once the film is about to start.

Does anywhere guarantee the above?
            Just pick the shit films that nobody else wants to watch.

Comment

Or small arthouses

Behaviour at large cinemas in Manhattan is regularly said to be among the worst in the country, but the experience at the Museum of Modern Art (over 1000 screenings a year) is exactly as TonTon describes.

Comment

With proper lights-off-ness too?

Comment

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but the cinema is dark during the film.

The lights are dialed down before it starts and up after it ends.

No adverts or trailers, either.

Comment

When I was a lad cinemas were darker. I like having the lights off at home to watch telly at night.

No adverts or trailers is excellent.

Comment

Arclight used to be good as comfortable and reasonably well behaved. There was a chain called Angelika who had a cinema in San Diego that was similar and survived beyond Arclight. One problem with the new fanciest cinemas in the US is that many also serve food and booze in the seats and have servers who walk in during the show and plonk food in front of guests - Cinepolis was a chain that did this.

Many old arthouse cinemas miss the "comfortable" aspect - unsurprisingly they often can't afford to upgrade the seating. The new ones fix that but sometimes create additional problems.

Comment

Angelika started in Tribeca and now operates in or around Manhattan, Dallas, San Diego and Washington DC

Comment

Finally made it to cinema to see Decision to Leave. Beautiful, sad and in places incredibly funny.

Comment

Seems like am in minority but do like the trailers. The adverts not so much. Incredibly make one pine for Pearl & Dean.

Comment

I dont mind trailers but could do without the adverts. I particularly dislike the adverts that cinemas play extolling the virtues of their particular chain - given that I've already paid and am sittting in the cinema, at this point you don't need to be trying to draw me in.

I went to Black Panther last night. One of the trailers was for a fairly generic looking Gerard Butler film in which he plays a pilot who crash lands on an island where there is some sort of insurgency. I probably would have forgotten about it already, if they hadn't opted for one of the least imaginative titles ever - Plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                In defence of showing up 'late', when I was regularly going twice a week before Covid arrived, it became almost physically painful to watch the same luxury car, join the army etc ads over and over.
                                Not to mention unsubtle 'the whole film' trailers which can ruin the surprise/novelty factor of seeing films with no prior knowledge.
                                The local Vue almost always runs 25 minutes of ads and trailers, and although it will advertise a start time of say 19.00, elsewhere it will show a start and end time of say 19.00-21.25 for what is a two hour film, so it's usually quite easy to time your arrival for that bit where the guy tells you to knock your phone off.

I always pre book the seat at the top of an aisle, so I can stretch my legs out during the film.

Can't help but wonder how long my local Vue will survive, its only £6 to get in and even then lots of people are using Asda freebies and Meerkat 2-for-1s.

Comment

A comfy sofa would be nice. Is there anywhere that does a comfy sofa?

Trailers are just fancily-named spoilers.
                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 21-11-2022, 19:53.

Comment

Trailers are just fancily-named spoilers.
                                    Fact in Liverpool has/ had at least one screen where the seating was a load of sofas.

Comment

Nice. Bit of a trek, mind. But nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

The local Vue almost always runs 25 minutes of ads and trailers, and although it will advertise a start time of say 19.00, elsewhere it will show a start and end time of say 19.00-21.25 for what is a two hour film, so it's usually quite easy to time your arrival for that bit where the guy tells you to knock your phone off.

I always pre book the seat at the top of an aisle, so I can stretch my legs out during the film.

Can't help but wonder how long my local Vue will survive, its only £6 to get in and even then lots of people are using Asda freebies and Meerkat 2-for-1s.
                                        It only £5 if you book online. But yes do wonder about the economics of it all even if we deliberately attend at non-peak showings.

Comment

The Electric used to. Haven't been since the fire though, so don't know if they still do.

Comment

I watched Rheingold at the flicks on Tuesday. It was all right.

Comment

This is the Everyman in Birmingham. We went to see Star Wars Ep VII there.

Everyman-Cinema-17.jpg

Comment

Yeah that doesn't look bad. Wonder what it's like when the lights are down.

Comment

Yeah that doesn't look bad. Wonder what it's like when the lights are down.
                                                  Something like this, I hope

Comment

Has anyone seen Aftersun? It sounds fantastic

Comment

Working...
                                                    X