Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone on OTF still go to the cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnr View Post
    Going to the cinema, Sunday, or Stan and Ollie?
    Stan And Ollie. I also quite like Sunday. Not totally sure about going to the cinema...

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      Going to the pictures tonight to see "stan and ollie ".first time since Ron Howard's Beatles film two years ago, most of the time there's nothing I'm interested in seeing, not being a superhero fan.
      I'm intrigued as to where you must live and what your local cinemas are that you can't find anything of interest in the hundreds of releases every year that aren't superhero movies.

Comment

The Regent Street Cinema is beautiful but has titchy seats, by the way. My friend got cramp in his leg halfway through the film. I thought of giving it a vigorous massage but that might have looked odd to the people behind us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I'm intrigued as to where you must live and what your local cinemas are that you can't find anything of interest in the hundreds of releases every year that aren't superhero movies.
          Ray I live in Dublin and to be honest a lot of it is laziness, I see a film is on and think "I'll have to go to that " and then forget about it.
          At the same time I live in central Dublin and don't drive which tends to limit my options, most of the cinemas in Dublin are concentrated in the vast shopping centres that ring the city around the M50 motorway, in the city centre there are two mainstream cinemas and two independent (Arthouse) ones so unless you fancy a long bus journey your choice can be surprisingly limited.
          A lot of the time I play catch up by buying DVDs, after the initial release you can usually get them for little more than a cinema ticket, that said I'll really have to make more of an effort.

Comment

Wait, what? Your options are surprisingly limited because you only have four cinemas within walking distance? Flipping heck.

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
            it now seems all historical women, especially queens, are by default feminist icons. I look forward to the film where Marie Antoinette, feminist icon, is beheaded by a mob of ugly, jealous men (I laugh, but it's probably in development)
            Wasn't Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette supposed to rehabilitate her as a great feminist icon or something? I gave it a miss, but I'm sure I've seen a ton of thinkpieces along those lines.

Comment

Yeah tbh most of the films I want to see are shown in the 2 arthouse ones or the hellish Parnell St megaplex. Can't think when a film I've wanted to see was only shown in Dundrum Cultural Chernobyl or fuckin Swords Pavillions. And the Lighthouse is just a really nice venue (ignoring the worst of the hip priests frequenting it).

I'd say Central Dublin is now better equipped for film going than central/west end Glasgow (which def wasn't the case twenty years back)

Comment

As I believe I said earlier in the thread my closest cinema is about 85 kms away.

Comment

Jaysus I'm getting a right kicking here, anyway went to Stan and Ollie tonight and it was great.

Comment

I liked it, but it felt a bit TV movie. As with the Favourite, better acting than the film experience itself.

also seemed to go down the road of Pivotal Conflict that biopics love, and which John C Reilly's pretty fantastic Walk Hard parodied brilliantly.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-01-2019, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      Wasn't Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette supposed to rehabilitate her as a great feminist icon or something? I gave it a miss, but I'm sure I've seen a ton of thinkpieces along those lines.
                      It has a great soundtrack, including The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants. Actually it’s a bit like an AATA pomp period video.

Comment

Does Siouxsie sing at all anymore? I've been listening to The Rapture nonstop lately and miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

It has a great soundtrack, including The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants. Actually it’s a bit like an AATA pomp period video.
                          Great 80’s soundtrack. I’m not sure I can explain why it uses 1980s music for a 1780s story, but it works.

It makes Marie Antoinette out to be more of a tragic figure than a feminist icon.

Likewise, Mary Queen of Scots made Elizabeth and Mary - especially Elizabeth - out to be tragic victims of history’s whims more than masters of their own destiny. I don’t know if that makes them feminist icons.

Comment

When I came to live in Slovakia 16 years ago, there were two independent cinemas in town, and I would go every other week on average. These have gone, replaced by two 8-screen multiplexes, and there's far less good stuff on. I go perhaps four times a year now.

That said, Slovakia's own film industry is in a good phase currently. There've been a couple of decent films dealing with aspects of the country's difficult recent past, including one, called Unos (Kidnap), about the abduction of the president's son in the 1990s, and another called Ciara (Border) about organised crime on either side of the Slovak/Ukraine border pre-Schengen. There's also been a good biopic about Alexander Dubcek

Last night, we went to a new, rather different sort of Slovak film, Trhlina (Crack), based on a novel which itself incorporates elements of a long-standing local mystery. Not far from the towns of Nitra and Zlate-Moravce in southern Slovakia, there's a mountain range called Tribec. It's not a significant range, even by Slovak standards. The highest point is only 830 metres asl, and the area covers around 900 square km. But in the last 90 years, there have been five documented cases of people disappearing without trace, and another (in 1939) of a guy called Walter Fischer, who reappeared from the mountains after 3 months missing. He had strange burns all over his body and was in a traumatised state. He was committed to a psychiatric institution, but never communicated what had happened to him, and died shortly afterwards.

The film takes these facts and builds a fiction on top of them. It has a complex narrative structure. It starts with a mystery writer who is held up in his car following a book-signing. His abductor, a young man called Igor, tells him he has a story he wants written up, about a trip to Tribec that went tragically wrong. Igor had suffered with addiction and psychological problems of his own, and was unemployed. Then, he was offered work experience with a demolition team that was knocking down an old psychiatric clinic on the outskirts of Nitra. By chance he found a key that opened an old safe. Inside were a bottle of pills and what turned out to be Walter Fischer's old case-notes, in written and audio form. Igor hid these under his jacket and smuggled them out. At home, he became fascinated by the notes, and disturbed by Fischer's rambling and screaming, which he listened to through his headphones. He researched the other Tribec disappearances, and determined to visit the area to investigate. His girlfriend, plus two internet contacts, who both professed some local knowledge, agreed to accompany him.

Now, we are in Blair Witch territory. Tribec is mostly forest, and it's easy to get lost in. The characters think they're getting somewhere, then realise they've walked in a big circle. There are strange lights and sounds after dark. They come across an abandoned house. As it becomes clear that things have gone very wrong, they start to fall out. One of them is a diabetic who finds out he's lost his insulin, putting his life in danger.

It's a derivative film that perhaps ends up as less than the sum of its parts, though some parts are genuinely unnerving. It just about works as a suspense thriller, though I think I'd be more interested in a straight documentary about Tribec. The facts are intriguing enough as they are.

Comment

I went to see Green Book at the new superglam cinema downtown. It's unhelpfully branded "Theatre Box" which makes googling a bit confusing sometimes. And it has a Sugar Factory inside, which is some kind of hyper-glamorous, celeb themed sweet shop - they're big on their Kardashian and Pitbull associations. I am not the target market.

They have a massive menu of incredibly overpriced, ridiculously sweet stuff. Including sweet sushi like caramel salmon nigiri and $20 milkshakes that come with sweets attached to the outside of the glass. These things are so ridiculously overpriced that the actual film tickets were $5.

It is nice to have table service in the cinema . And the wine was remarkably reasonably priced (about $30 for a bottle). And the seats are super comfy and the screen is very good. If I could face the hassle of going downtown, it's not a bad choice.

As for Green Book, it was perfectly enjoyable and well made. It's very old school Oscar Bait - a bit costumey, with a very vanilla view about racism that's safely far enough in the past that we don't have to actually reflect on ourselves, and where a white man is (to a degree) a black man's saviour. I'd say that it shouldn't be winning any awards, but having seen 7 of the best picture nominees now, I'm pretty sure that none of them should.

Comment

The last time I went to the cinema was in December 2012 with my ex-partner, to celebrate her birthday. The cinema was in Stratford (London) and the film we saw was 'Trouble with the curve' starring an 82 year old Clint Eastwood - I don't know if if has ever been shown on British TV, or at least on the Freeview channels?

I've noticed that there is a thread about the first time you went to the cinema (I think it is currently on page 7) and I will post on it once I've checked a few facts about film release dates in the early 1970's.

Comment

I went to see Spiderman No Way Home at Chorley's new one on Tuesday. Fucking brilliant (the cinema and the film).

Comment

I go to the cinema nowhere near as much as Ray or our other brother but I have made a point of doing so much more often in recent years. I think the Star Wars reboots started me off releasing one every Christmas for the family to go to. I think that the only one I have been since lockdown ended was "The Many Saints OF Newark" but I expect I will get back into the swing of things once we are free of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1963 View Post
                                      The last time I went to the cinema was in December 2012 with my ex-partner, to celebrate her birthday. The cinema was in Stratford (London) and the film we saw was 'Trouble with the curve' starring an 82 year old Clint Eastwood - I don't know if if has ever been shown on British TV, or at least on the Freeview channels?

I've noticed that there is a thread about the first time you went to the cinema (I think it is currently on page 7) and I will post on it once I've checked a few facts about film release dates in the early 1970's.
                                      I love Trouble With The Curve, which i know puts me in a minority. I enjoy a baseball movie and Amy Adams is usually superb in anything she does. It's fairly slow but it's one of those movies that if I see it on, I can join in at any point and enjoy it.

Comment

I suspect one might like that film more if one doesn’t know much about baseball. Or Clint Eastwood.

Comment

I’ve been to the cinema twice in the last 18 months.

Comment

Beats me. As mentioned elsewhere however, I'm determined to see West Side Story.

Comment

Spiderman today, hopefully West side story next week. Before that, James bond a few weeks ago. Going to the cinema is fun, relatively cheap and it gets you out of the house. What's not to like? I really missed going during the pandemic

I have a fairly small TV so it's also a visual treat too. Maybe folk with big ass 4k TVs don't see it quite the same way as me.

Comment

Going to the cinema is considerably less cheap when you're taking two kids who expect snacks!
                                                Still fun, though (with or without them), but getting to watch movies that the kids aren't interested in has pretty much disappeared. Spiderman on Christmas Eve for me, anyway. I was far too worried about us all catching covid there (it was packed) to fully enjoy the experience.

Comment

Spiderman for us today, after the football was called off. Daughter had already been and wanted to go again, and she convinced me it was worth it, and it was. Not too busy, so little covid paranoia.

It is cheap enough to get in to begin with, and there are various freebies and discounts available, so getting through the door is a lot cheaper than it used to be. The drinks and snacks are obviously where the mark up is, so it depends how disciplined you are on that front. I usually have a beer, and had two today because it was a long film, and the beer prices aren't too shocking (though the quality is lacking - even Carlisle United have started offering a range of bottled real ales, you'd think a cinema chain could do the same).

Comment

I don’t see how packed cinemas aren’t circulating the virus, masks or not, and the masking compliance at my local is spotty. I’m not worried about me, but the sum total effect.

But mostly, I rarely want to spend $12 to see something I can see at home on a streaming service a few weeks later.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X