Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone on OTF still go to the cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ale View Post
    And now NOPE. Engrossing if a little slow to kick in. Not a film where can just sit back and forget about story or plot. Worth it though. Even if need to talk about it with partner afterward to ensure you understood it.
    I'm torn on seeing that as I loved 'Get Out' but found 'Us' a really frustrating, disappointing film even though it had a great central idea.

Would you say it tends more towards either of those films?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I'm torn on seeing that as I loved 'Get Out' but found 'Us' a really frustrating, disappointing film even though it had a great central idea.

I agree with your thoughts on his previous work, and i'd say I enjoyed Nope more than I did Us, but not as much as I did Get Out.

Comment

Went to see Nope last week, me, the mrs and 3 other people in the cinema. Went to see it because a couple of weeks prior we were taking the Universal Studios tour and they still had 'Jupiters Claim' intact - so it was 'fun' to see it on the big screen....

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled off Main Street View Post
          Went to see Nope last week, me, the mrs and 3 other people in the cinema. Went to see it because a couple of weeks prior we were taking the Universal Studios tour and they still had 'Jupiters Claim' intact - so it was 'fun' to see it on the big screen....
          You saw a busy show then - I watched Nope this afternoon and had the entire cinema to myself.

Comment

Beat me to it. Could have done with being 20-30 minutes or so shorter. And the homages to Tarantino & Ritchie among others were obvious. But any film stuffed full of references to Thomas Tank Engine works for me.
            Ditto the pair of you

But my gods what a sprawling disconnected, although entertaining mess

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

As havent seen Us cant give a definitive answer-if even one exists. Naturally Get Out was an unexpected breakthrough from an unknown talent while NOPE is an established director able to flex his reputation. View each movie on those parameters and you wont be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Ditto the pair of you

But my gods what a sprawling disconnected, although entertaining mess

That as good a review as have seen. Plenty to criticise. Plenty to love.

Comment

And the extended cameo from Brian May at the end! (Spoiler)

Comment

Your own review pretty much nails it too

Comment

And I knew I'd seen the conductor and trolley attendant before - a deliberate decision to cast two super-heroes?

Comment

As havent seen Us cant give a definitive answer-if even one exists. Naturally Get Out was an unexpected breakthrough from an unknown talent while NOPE is an established director able to flex his reputation. View each movie on those parameters and you wont be disappointed.
                        I loved Get Out but have been wary of him since his awful Twilight Zone reboot.

Comment

Get Out was great. But I was baffled by the love for Us, which really didn’t do it for me at all.

Comment

Went to see Iranian road movie Hit the Road yesterday.
                            Really liked it, some great locations and visually inventive for a film largely set in a car. Great dog.

Comment

Nope didn't really do it for me, thought there were parts that I liked, and it looks great. The parts just didn't mesh together very well and a lot of the character writing just didn't work.

Comment

For OTFers who do still frequent their local fleapits, tomorrow is National Cinema Day with £3 tickets at participating venues.

Comment

Took advantage of it today by taking my 5 year old twins to watch the Minions sequel. They loved it, I laughed in some parts but not at many. Due to the price, the cinema was packed.

It'll be empty when the prices go back up next week.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CriterionDaily/status/1566073065632571394?t=MoOjhaPD139eXqzjrrcILg&s=19

Now there's a list of films. A couple I've never heard of

Comment

We took advantage of the NCD offer to make a first visit to an independent cinema near us that opened a year or so ago, previously having been dissuaded by high ticket prices and their banging on about the private members club side of the operation enough to put one off as a general punter. It was very plush and well appointed, while having the feel of primarily being a place to be seen, with films just the pretext for that. The seats were uncomfortably luxurious; heavily padded and semi-reclining but harder to move yourself around in without rocking the whole apparatus than a plainer one would be. This isn't a dig at independent cinemas in general, just that we'll stick with the non-profit, volunteer run outfit a ten minute train ride away. That we are spoiled for options is appreciated.

The film we saw was The Forgiven. On the plus side, it looks good and Jessica Chastain, Ralph Fiennes and Ismael Kanater head up a decent cast who mostly deliver. Two hours passed without many longueurs. On the downside, the film isn't as sharp in skewering the economic colonialism of the wealthy as the makers might imagine and the Moroccan characters are drawn with a fairly broad brush, albeit a more sympathetic one. Fiennes' character seems to have been dropped in from a Graham Greene novel, which isn't the selling point that it might have been in the 1950s.

Comment

Went to the multiplex last night to see Forgiven but ended up in Spiderman: No New Ideas.
                                        Because it started earlier and we both have early starts today. We didn't look at the running time...
                                        not saying I didn't enjoy it, but by the end this added 11 minutes really made itself felt and it isn't even 30% as good as the cartoon multiverse one.
                                        Cynical Disney selling parents who remember the first Maguire films their nostalgia while also targetting 12 year olds with the very young loo king Holland/Zendaya couple, more chaste/asexual than a heavily censored comic.

Comment

I actually did see The Forgiven tonight and thought it was utterly brilliant. John Michael McDonagh's writing and directing is as compulsive and involving as you'd expect from the man behind The Guard and Calvary. The main cast are excellent ; Ralph Fiennes, Jessica Chastain & Matt Smith giving wonderfully overblown dramatic performances but Ismael Kanater and Saïd Taghmaoui matching, if not outdoing, them with more underplayed parts. The cinematography is intoxicating too.

My wife and I were really pleasantly surprised at quite how good it was given we'd only taken a punt on it because of an interesting premise & trailer and the fact there's been nothing on at the cinema that's tempted us in months, I also think my wife may also have been indulging my patently obvious massive crush on the luminous Chastain too.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-09-2022, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                            Just seen Bullet Train. Extremely gory for a 15, silly plot but entertaining with some good laughs, mainly supplied by The Twins. At no point did my attention wander, nor did I wonder when the film was going to end.

It's an absolute derivative tropefest, but as an easy Saturday night at the flicks it's welcome popcorn fare.
                                            Just seen it and would concur. Hugely enjoyable nonsense and a perfect late-ish Saturday night at the pictures choice.

I'd forgotten about the director's John Wick/Deadpool/Hobbs & Shaw background which is a good marker and now wish he'd directed the disappointing 'Nobody' rather than just producing it.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-10-2022, 09:43.

Comment

Been twice this week (wonder why..?):

Avec amour et acharnement Claire Denis film with Binoche and Vincent Lindon, translated as ​Both Sides of the Blade. Really good performances and tension, even though it's a relationship drama rather than a thriller.

And Cronenburg's Crimes of the Future ​which is a return to 'body horror' for the veteran weirdo Ballard fan. Body creepiness, more accurately and the same sex fetishism themes as Crash but with surgery. The future it's set in lacked depth but it was engrossing. And weird. And I'm glad people make films like that instead of endless pre/sequels and superhero films.
                                              Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 18-09-2022, 05:36.

Comment

Went to see DC League of Superpets with some neices and a nephew yesterday. It was ok but it seems that every DC film has sedate plotting and very little imagination, even the cartoon films for kids.

Comment

Watched See How They Run yesterday, which is above average. Saoirse Ronan steals the show and I hadn't realised Sam Rockwell was playing the lead detective. Nice to see Tim Key and Charlie Cooper in supporting roles.

Comment

I’m going to see, See How They Run tomorrow. After a nice Italian lunch and a viewing of the Galloway Hoard at Aberdeen Art Gallery. An Uber date day.

I haven’t been to Aberdeen Art Gallery since it’s £gazillions refurbishment a few years ago so it will be interesting to see where it’s all gone.

They other film options were George Clooney and Big Teeth trying to ruin their daughter’s wedding before falling back in love or the Stepford Wives remake type thing with wee Jeck who used to be a singer.

It wasn’t a difficult choice

Comment

Working...
                                                    X