No announcement yet.

The Mary Whitehouse Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beeb dumped Holmes and Benn, and their spots are now taken by hot young comics. The effect is a bit like having early 80s alternative comics do five minutes in the middle of Round The Horne. A bit jarring.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      Neither Mitch Benn nor Jon Holmes have been on for some time now.
      They annoy me so much that even their absence isn't going to make me go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
        Neither Mitch Benn nor Jon Holmes have been on for some time now.
        I doubt that would have stopped the shortarse jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
          The Beeb dumped Holmes and Benn, and their spots are now taken by hot young comics. The effect is a bit like having early 80s alternative comics do five minutes in the middle of Round The Horne. A bit jarring.
          Yes, invariably, musical fucking comedy. An affront to music and comedy.

Comment

Or as its also known by those who write jokes "Cheating".

Comment

"Professor Lewis, in the words of AJP Taylor- "

"Your boyfriend you mean"

Comment

Definitely a teenage love for me. Around at the same time period covering Blackadder Goes Forth and early enough Red Dwarf, great viewing memories.

I too, do the dad dance, although my children have absolutely no idea what it means other than their father is being a fool again (much to their amusement, so there's that).

Comment

I still find History Today amusing, I have to say. I was a little young when TMWE aired on TV, but my elder brother used to watch it and it was certainly very popular between kids his age at school. I recall sketches like Edward Colander-hands that seemed hilarious back then. Don't think i'd want to see it now, i'd probably wonder what the fuss was about.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                    I still find History Today amusing, I have to say.
                    There's no need for the "I have to say" qualifier. "History Today" was fucking brilliant as I remember and I am sure that I would recall it jumping the shark.

Comment

I think I used them as a stepping stone to Lee and Herring and then Bill Hicks, despite the dissimilarities, in the same way I used Not The Nine O'Clock News circa 1981 to find Monty Python, Billy Connolly or Derek and Clive (all of which were mainly available on LP or cassette back then, a few years prior to video). It's not about content as such, just someone being willing to not go for the obvious laughs.

In the days of the Internet, you don't need baby steps in this way and can just go straight to what feels 100% purely your thing, but in 1980-1994 (my 14-28 years) that wasn't the case.
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-10-2018, 22:28.

Comment

Worked with them all in their various combinations. Punt and Dennis were a much easier gig all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          I think I used them as a stepping stone to Lee and Herring and then Bill Hicks, despite the dissimilarities, in the same way I used Not The Nine O'Clock News circa 1981 to find Monty Python, Billy Connolly or Derek and Clive (all of which were mainly available on LP or cassette back then, a few years prior to video). It's not about content as such, just someone being willing to not go for the obvious laughs.
                          Same here. I was slightly too young for the first wave of "alternative" comedy in the early 80s, so Lenny Henry, Ben Elton, Smith and Jones etc were on the mainstream side and MWE were part of the new up and coming thing. Plus they tied more into things like music (that Shakespears Sister gag in B&N still makes me snort to this day) so it all more "for me". From there, into Hicks et al.

Comment

Steve Punt wasn't on last night's show. Hope it wasn't something we said. It was, however, still appalling. Indeed, as they also aired the execrable "Gloomsbury" as well, Radio 4 had a bad day for comedy yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
                              Worked with them all in their various combinations. Punt and Dennis were a much easier gig all round.
                              I can believe that. But being easy going is only a plus once you’ve turned up with the goods.

Never heard of Baddiel being tricky, but he can certainly pick his double act partners.
                              Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 27-10-2018, 18:49.

Comment

Being easy to work with, of course, doesn't go hand-in-hand with actually being any good at something (although it may get you more work)

Comment

I have read that that is how Phil Jupitus has done so well.

Comment

I rest my case.

Comment

So I was walking in to work today past the student end of the campus and on the sports and social club is a a big hand-daubed sign saying

MOHAMMED KHAN FOR VP STUDENTYTHING

(I can't remember which NUS VP position he is running for)

I dearly wanted to find a marker and write "M. KHAN IS BENT" on it, but that joke will be lost on everyone else who sees it, I reckon.

Comment

Do it anyway. Because every adult will know exactly what you mean.

Comment

A thread started by Mr Baddiel came up on my Twitter feed yesterday. It was his reaction to the papers using a grimacing picture of Bercow to accompany their crucifixion of him. Someone else tweeted a grimacing picture of David Baddiel. I could not resist responding with, "M. Khan?"

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Same here. I was slightly too young for the first wave of "alternative" comedy in the early 80s, so Lenny Henry, Ben Elton, Smith and Jones etc were on the mainstream side and MWE were part of the new up and coming thing. Plus they tied more into things like music (that Shakespears Sister gag in B&N still makes me snort to this day) so it all more "for me". From there, into Hicks et al.
                                            First time I've seen that SS gag. Loved it.

Comment

Hugh Dennis is probably the best of the 4, Baddiel has always been a bit of a tool and did the dirty on Rob Newman when Newman and Baddiel were at their peak. Rob Newman went down a very weird route to the ultimate cost of his career. Steve Punt is bland and inoffensive but isnt that funny.

Still watch clips on YouTube. Mr Strange (Milky Milky) is probably my favourite from MAry Whitehouse Experience. Newman and Baddiel it has to be History Today and Jarvis.

Comment

Oh, man. Mrs b quite often has the "Now 90s" channel playing on Freeview. Nothing remarkable about that, except when they played the video for Stay and I had a serious fit of the giggles.

Turned out she'd never seen that MWE sketch, so I had to find it on YouTube for her. Now she gets a fit of the giggles whenever the original video is played.

I'd also echo what others have said - that some of MWE hasn't aged well, but for its time it was astoundingly good.

We also went to see to Punt & Dennis at the theatre a couple of years ago - they're still bloody funny.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
                                                  Baddiel ... did the dirty on Rob Newman when Newman and Baddiel were at their peak.
                                                  Other way round, wasn't it?

Comment

The Stay skit doesn't quite work for me (I can remember thinking at the time). The foghorn is just the wrong sound effect. A foghorn voice is one where the power/volume obliterates everything else like tone and technique, which doesn't really describe the second vocal on that song. Also Siobhan Fahey isn't trying to outsing Marcella Detroit and failing, which might be quite funny, they are deliberately creating a contrast between the two voices. I point this out because it illustrates why the not-so-good bits of MWE could be excruciating; if your schtick contains a large element of being smart arses then you ought to make sure that it is, well, smart.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X