Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post

Other way round, wasn't it?
    Not as far as I knew? Always thought that Baddiel had been looking to do his thing with Skinner and putting plans in place to jump ship. TV didnt want Rob Newman on his own so Newman wrote a novel and went really hard left wing.

Comment

As I remember it, Baddiel and Newman genuinely did not get on, and were both keen to split up the partnership despite it being successful and presumably lucrative (12,000 capacity Wembley gigs). It was always a business arrangement anyway, they were brought together by the MWE producer rather than being longstanding friends or school/college contemporaries. Their shows were always separate stand up segments for each, coming together only to reprise MWE characters, there was very little double act stuff.

Comment

I think they were at Cambridge at the same time but didn't know each other. I think they're both great, but Newman has always seemed like a self-isolating character whereas Baddiel is just incredibly nice.

Comment

I saw Newman at Edinburgh 2-3 years ago and it was probably the funniest (and cleverest) show I've ever seen there.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
            As I remember it, Baddiel and Newman genuinely did not get on, and were both keen to split up the partnership despite it being successful and presumably lucrative (12,000 capacity Wembley gigs). It was always a business arrangement anyway, they were brought together by the MWE producer rather than being longstanding friends or school/college contemporaries. Their shows were always separate stand up segments for each, coming together only to reprise MWE characters, there was very little double act stuff.
            As a friend said when they split, Baddiel's Chelsea, Newman's Spurs - it was never gonna work!

Comment

Working...
            X