The Daily Mail Making movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eden lake, a horrow movie about a couple in the countryside being terrorised by ASBO kids.

The lead bad kid bears a striking resemblance to Ricky Hatton and has the obligatory regional accent.
    I aint leaving london again.

That's the plan. It was partly funded by the Provincial Parochial Patriotism Alliance. Or Pppa, as they like to be exhaled. It's an attempt to do to Southerners attitudes towards the North what Notting Hill did to Northerners attitudes to the South - make it seem a desperate and horrifying place, full of hideous freaks and unrelenting misery.

Previous failed attempts, such as 1998 film 'Grim, Fat, Redundant Northerner Takes His Clothes Off In a Patronising Tale Written By Some Cunt Who Thinks The North Is Chorley Fucking Wood' has only seen a steep incline in South to North tourism. This simply wont do. The only option left is to scare people away with tales of putty-faced estate kids terrorising Sebastian and Jemima by lacing their Yakult with deadly zombifying toxins. Or whatever the plot of this ludicrous sounding film really is.

Cockney Mafia Out!

Comment

Dr Kermode gave Eden Lake a decent review on FiveLive.

EIM--good to see you're carrying on the long British tradition of blowing off about films you haven't seen.

Comment

Can't be that long a tradition. A century at the most.

Comment

It's not the North, it's a thinly-disguised Essex, I gather. In the film, I mean.

The thing in the Guardian was making out that this middle-class fear of the poor that the film trades on was something new, and part of the Zeitgeist, and an indictment of Gordon Brown and that. I don't want to let sexface off the hook, but I don't quite buy that. Remember all the scary working-class characters in Survivors? Let alone nineteenth-century novels and things. It's all a bit "We have become a nation of..."

Comment

So it's just a high-grade exploitation film?

(No bad thing, I quite enjoy some exploitation films.)

Comment

Not sinnit.

Comment

Working...
              X