Sam Wollaston No Longer Guardian TV Critic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    There was indeed a second review published towards the finale, which said it was a masterpiece, once the dust cleared. she had read all the other reviews

Comment

That review read like she has no idea what serialised drama is. But unlike Wollaston, she didn’t see that ignorance as a reason to adopt a snooty superiority to the whole genre, so an improvement.

Comment

The secret effort to kill off Wollaston continues

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...of-the-commute

Comment

Someone sent me this article about Mortimer & Whitehouse - Gone Fishing the other day and I wondered how anyone could write such a lifeless, dull, twitter-search-reliant piece about such a fantastic, vibrant show - then I saw the byline.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-10-2020, 10:56.

Comment

God. That piece didn't initially seem notably worse than most TV writing, but to resort to a Twitter search is disrespectful to a very poignant programme.

Comment

...and to any pretence of journalism.

Comment

I thought this thread revival was going to be about this review of The Haunting of Bly Manor, which begins with the statement that Mangan doesn't like horror and, erm, that since ghosts don't exist they can't possibly be scary (perhaps find someone who does like horror, or at least has heard of suspension of disbelief, to review it, then?), goes on to reveal that neither she nor her desk editor know the title of the Shirley Jackson novel We Have Always Lived in the Castle (even though she reckons it's a classic, in spite of, erm, not liking horror), and seemingly misses the point of the final episode entirely. Also, while I agree with her about some of the accents and dialogue, at least two of the examples she cites to back up the dialogue point are very much supposed to sound odd coming out of the mouths of two such young children.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. TL;DR: 'This TV show is fictional, and as such it must be rubbish' seems an interesting hill to die on.

Comment

Lucy Mangan used to have a Polly Filler type column in the Weekend section of The Guardian. One of the recurring jokes was about how her husband voted Conservative ('Tory Boy'), depicted as one of those funny quirks people have, like enjoying black and white films or home brewing. It gradually fell out of the repertoire as it became apparent quite how vicious and unrelenting the coalition government's war upon society was turning out to be.

Comment

Pleased that others on here have enjoyed Mortimer & Whitehouse - Gone Fishing as much as I have,

Comment

Working...
                    X