Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No laughing matter

Barry Chuckle has died.

I just hope that when they lift up the coffin the pallbearers say “to me...”

Comment

Met them a couple of times, most recently at a sporting dinner about five or six years back. They had all the general daftness going on and the "to me, to you" stuff, obviously. Dennis Taylor was the main speaker that night and referenced the event in a quiet moment of commentary at the world snooker championships a few weeks later.

"I tell you what Willie, I went to a dinner at a hotel in Rotherham recently, and guess who was there ...... THE CHUCKLE BROTHERS. They're ever such big snooker fans, they always try to come along to the Crucible"

Someone on Twitter described this as "an anecdote dripping with glamour".

Comment

I saw perform whilst on holiday in Great Yarmouth about 33 years ago. I actually really liked them and enjoyed the humour. Simple, inoffensive and at times slapstick, but always good fun.

Comment

Collaboration with Tinchy Stryder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtd3H3Qdi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ir0qp5obg
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-08-2018, 10:32.

Comment

At times?

Comment

Hah, I was thinking the same thing GY.

RIP Barry and thanks for an entire generation's-worth of happy times. The Chuckle Brothers started out on children's telly when I was a little kid (I first knew them as the Chucklehounds, a show I thought for many years I must have hallucinated) and were still there when I was 30, almost completely unchanged. Fittingly he's been the top story on the entire BBC website this morning.

Love the snooker anecdote by the way longeared.

Comment

Anyway, here's the weirdest, most wonderful Chuckle Brothers clip I've ever seen.

Comment

My favourite bit of Chuckleism came courtesy of Proletarian Democracy: a spoof revolutionary grouping taking the piss out of the bizarre plethora of Commie grouplets and their tortuous theoretical analysis. There’s a blogsite out their if you fancy having a laugh.

This piece explains Chuckle Theory and the real meaning of the “To Me, To You” catchphrase:

For many years the British children’s television show “Chucklevision” was written off by the chinstroking Bond Street lounger pseudo-Marxists and their backsliding fellow travellers as a simplistic expression of ruling class ideology; a perfect illustration of lowest common denominator bourgeois distractionist TV trash with no other purpose but to divert children from wholesome interests such as humming along to Rage Against Machines, browsing books about aliens, engaging in the rough and tumble of juvenile streetfighting gangs, and collecting politically sound comics like Johnny Red in an ignoble attempt to pervert the flowers of revolutionary youth and prevent them from embracing their ultimate destinies as ruthlessly disciplined neo-Luddite cadres.

However upon closer inspection, and illuminated by the effervescent light of Posadist theory, it becomes clear that Paul and Barry Chuckle are not the comic figures or tragic simpletons they invariably appear to be, but are in fact two of the most successful revolutionary agents in the entire Proletarian Milieu. The time has come for Proletarian Democracy to pay our proper respects to the Chuckles and finally reveal to the world the mystery and terrible beauty of Chuckle Theory.

Chucklevision is simply a stunning example of a sophisticated Bakhtinite-carnivalesque campaign to infiltrate and undermine the ruling class narratives imposed upon us by the effete cabal of private school Oxbridge capitalist wankers in the bourgeois media, by utilising crypto-entryist skills honed and perfected over decades by the inestimably tenacious working-class leadership that nestles within Proletarian Democracy. The truth is; Chucklevision is not just a kids’ TV show, but a picaresque tale of two archetypal Proletarian males, with their Proletarian Mullet’n’Tash combination and Proletarian Rotherham accents, striving to escape the tyranny of capitalist labour discipline by avoiding work.

Their nemesis in this eternal quest for emancipation is Dan the Van. Dan the Van is never seen in person, and whilst some cynics incorrectly assume this is a result of BBC bigwig tightfists being unwilling to pay to employ another actor, it is in fact a subtle commentary on the role of the absentee shareholder class in latter day capitalism. Dan the Van, like all modern parasitic capitalist vermin, uses a proxy, a stooge if you will, to do his dirty work for him – No Slacking.

No Slacking has no human name, for he is the capitalist desire to extract the greatest possible amount of surplus value from the working class made incarnate. The relationship between Dan the Van and No Slacking is the living embodiment of the shift in capitalism between ownership and control, the separation of the owners of the means of production from its managers. Dan the Van is the capitalist without function, and No Slacking is the functionary without capital – Thus the workings of contemporary managerial capitalism are exposed.

The famous Chucklist catchphrase, “To me, to you” is perhaps the most succinct expression of working class solidarity ever uttered against the parasitic capitalist ruling class of South Yorkshire. These four simple words were taken to the forge, thrust into the fire, repeatedly hammered and cooled until finally they were transformed into a deceptively light and subtle yet bayonet sharp revolutionary slogan, crafted to inculcate the youth of this land and beyond (Chucklevision was shown in 34 countries) with a revolutionary class consciousness and hence nurture a sense of proletarian solidarity from the earliest possible age.

So successful were comrades Barry and Paul in infiltrating the ideological state apparatus of CBBC, they even managed to get their own spin-off game show called, you guessed it, “To Me, To You” commissioned to further their seditious ambitions!

The Chuckles did not act in a political vacuum, but are continuing a fine tradition of working class Yorkshiremen fighting back against capitalist labour discipline and the tyranny of proletarianisation, part of a history of heroic Proletarian struggle that reaches all the way back to 200 years ago and the uprising of the Luddites. The Chuckles pay their respects to these brave Luddites by destroying practically every bit of machinery they are ever put in charge of in the TV show. Some mistakenly think this is “slapstick comedy” but to those within the swole ranks of Proletarian Democracy, its true significance is properly understood.

Many will ask “who conceived of this cunning plan?” as if this task of such complexity and genius could simply be the act of one individual. Ha! A plan of such guile could never be the work of one individual, and those who would presume so are guilty of the most pitiable brand of bourgeois individualism.

There is no “origin” of Chuckle Theory.

It is not arboreal. It is rhizomatic, its tendrils spreading and retracting -

To me.

To you.

It has no beginning, and no end. It just is.

Proletarian Democracy requests, nay demands, on behalf of the swarming swinish proletarian multitude of South Yorkshire, that Rotherham council immediately erect a 200ft high statue of Paul and Barry chuckle, on the centre-spot of the old Millmoor football pitch, to honour their legacy in fighting for the right not to work!

Comment

As I've mentioned on here before, they recorded one of their sequences at Millmoor at half-time during a match, so I've appeared on Chucklevision.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      As I've mentioned on here before, they recorded one of their sequences at Millmoor at half-time during a match, so I've appeared on Chucklevision.
                      My mate got his picture taken with him at the NYS when Preston visited. I considered doing the same last season, but a pint with you was preferable. And oh, that pie...

Comment

DLT changed their catchphrase to "From Me, To Yewtree"

Comment

I never had much time for the Chuckle Brothers as a child, but I can think of far worse epitaphs than, "He made a lot of children laugh a lot, and did it in a friendly, carefree and guileless way."

Comment

Simply put:

"Oh dear!"

"Oh dear, oh dear!"

Comment

The BBC website is running a liveblog of the funeral. Really?

Comment

And will cite same the next time they are accused of ignoring the North of England

Comment

The Last Word (Radio 4 obituary show) managed to do a whole piece on Barry without once using the word "Rotherham"...

Comment

Working...
                                  X