Heatwave movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatwave movies

Dragging my sorry arse through London's ridiculous temperatures this morning I was reminded of the oppressive heat that permeates every scene in 'Do The Right Thing'. I started to wonder about other movies where a heatwave is key to the plot or behind the character's actions.

The other film that immediately came to mind was another Spike Lee joint 'Summer of Sam', poor though it was, but I can't remember if it was just power blackouts in that or a heatwave too.

Any other suggestions? Obviously films set in the US summertime are far more likely to throw up candidates.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-07-2018, 20:01.

Body Heat
    In the Heat of the Night (possibly)

Comment

'Body Heat' is an excellent and embarrassingly obvious call. I've not seen 'In The Heat Of The Night' for years and can't recall how key the heat is in that.

Comment

Dog Day Afternoon is set in a heatwave, I think. It comes across most in the bits with the crowds outside the bank.

Comment

Comment

The oppressive summer heat here is also a major player in Do the Right Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              Dog Day Afternoon is set in a heatwave, I think. It comes across most in the bits with the crowds outside the bank.
              That indeed is the meaning of the title https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_days?wprov=sfla1

Comment

Double post

Comment

"The day the earth caught fire" though that was caused by us meddling humans
                  It's not a specific heatwave film but "Reservoir dogs "is one of the sweatiest films I've ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    That indeed is the meaning of the title https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_days?wprov=sfla1
                    Another entry for the lengthy list of things that I used to know but had forgotten somewhere along the way...

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      It's not a specific heatwave film but "Reservoir dogs "is one of the sweatiest films I've ever seen
                      Angel Heart strongly suggests oppressive heat once the action moves south to New Orleans.

Aussie western The Proposition is uncomfortable even to watch, teeming flies and all.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        The oppressive summer heat here is also a major player in Do the Right Thing
                        Sorry, am I not getting that or did you miss my mention of it in the OP?

Comment

Missed it, soz.

Must be the heat.

Comment

Summer of Sam also featured the dog days of August, but it will be an element of any realist film set here in the summer.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was trying to recall about Summer of Sam, how crucial the heat was to the film.

I'm thinking of films where the heat is driving the plot or actions as opposed to where it just happens to be hot at the time or set in a place that's always hot.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-07-2018, 20:01.

Comment

There was a great tweet out there a while back: "this heatwave is officially long enough to qualify as a plot device in a movie or book."

Kurosawa's Stray Dog is a prime example. Like many of his films, weather and the changes in it often marks key moments in the story.

Comment

Rear Window

Comment

Falling down with Michael Douglas

Comment

'

Comment

The heat is important to Summer if Sam (and even more important to the real story) because it caused people to go out (and to the beach, etc) when they knew they would be better off staying at home.

Comment

"Hundstage", the second-best Ulrich Seidl film.

Comment

Sexy Beast
                                            Picnic At Hanging Rock/Walkabout double bill

Comment

If you're going to have Walkabout, you should also be allowed Ice Cold In Alex, but they're both set in hot places.

Comment

Not a film, but heatwaves always bring to mind the Twilight Zone episode The Midnight Sun

Comment

Inherit The Wind uses the heat in court to evoke the stifling nature of Deep South Bible culture.

Bridge Over The River Kwai, maybe

Comment

Working...
                                                  X