• Nefertiti2
    replied
    RIP

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/60329890431508480?s=20

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

The only “food traveller” I can think that is even in the same direction was Keith Floyd and Bourdain is so far removed from (not least as the latter rarely cooked in the series)
    I loved Keith Floyd's shows. He pioneered the concept of food travel shows.

Bourdain took it to greater heights. Bourdain didn't need to cook. But he ate a lot -- and that shouikd saitsfy the bition of "food travelling" -- and placed what he ate or cooked in a cutural and social and even political context.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Originally posted by EIM View Post

I've watched that before. It's brilliant. I strongly believe the best way to fight climate disaster is by rewilding. And by smashing capitalism, obv.
    Selective rewilding, of say The City of London, Chelsea, Chipping Norton, the Channel Isles - and all golf courses- could kill two birds with one wolf

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

see this video about reintroducing wolves to yellowstone

I've watched that before. It's brilliant. I strongly believe the best way to fight climate disaster is by rewilding. And by smashing capitalism, obv.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied

"An enormous threat to biodiversity"? Try again lads. They do quite the opposite, turning up soil which gives less aggressive plants a chance to grow. Create boggy land which is a haven for insects, which in turn attracts birds and other insectivores. Which in turn attracts predators.
    see this video about reintroducing wolves to yellowstone

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Wild Boar are nasty buggers. They're great.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    Oh, Bourdain absolutely is the greatest food traveller of all time. There is no contender in sight.
    The only “food traveller” I can think that is even in the same direction was Keith Floyd and Bourdain is so far removed from (not least as the latter rarely cooked in the series)

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

They are doing some deep fake voice narration or something? Seems ghoulish.
    Indeed, as per nef's post, which included this tweet:

https://twitter.com/tamigraph/status/1415746389703729153?s=20
    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 17-07-2021, 11:23.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    On topic, I love Bourdain but don't think I can watch this film.
    They are doing some deep fake voice narration or something? Seems ghoulish.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Boars are great. And bears. Let's have boars and bears. And wolves.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yeah, we have a lot of boar here too, and while I don't see them that often the evidence of their digging is everywhere. And the biodiversity here is among the best in Europe

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    According to my book, like.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    https://invasivespeciesireland.com/s...rial/wild-boar

heavy anti wild boar pish from the Irish Culchie Coddling authorities North and South, let the swine loose upon the land I say.
    "An enormous threat to biodiversity"? Try again lads. They do quite the opposite, turning up soil which gives less aggressive plants a chance to grow. Create boggy land which is a haven for insects, which in turn attracts birds and other insectivores. Which in turn attracts predators.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    On topic, I love Bourdain but don't think I can watch this film.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    https://invasivespeciesireland.com/s...rial/wild-boar

heavy anti wild boar pish from the Irish Culchie Coddling authorities North and South, let the swine loose upon the land I say.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Yeah, will be something else having a tree corridor of Scots pine birch and oak from say Glen Affric to the west coast. Not that I'll dirty my hands either.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    Yep get tae fuck with the sheep, agreed, would love to see boar back too.* Had a much higher population density, more arable land and more tree cover in now denuded parts of the Highlands before sheep replaced the pre-Clearances cattle economy. A lot of the north western Highlands will have lost the forest no matter what though, it's been retreating since at least the 1200s** from what was already very boggy and sparse as more and more and more rain fell there.

Still plenty of the Grampians that should have way more tree cover though, once the colonelocracy and forelock tugging fermers are dealt with.

*though boar, or at least feral escaped boar/pig cross-breeds, are back. And in England as well as Scotland.

**talk of the "Caledonian pine forest" covering half the Highlands into recorded history is romantic unmitigated bollocks. Even by the Roman era blanket bog, shite weather and fermers were all eating away at the tree cover. Prob have to go back to the Mesolithic/Neolithic to find anything like a massive forest blanketing the Highlands.
    This lot are trying to reconnect the remnants of the Caledonian forest through replanting and rewilding. I considered volunteering one summer, but I'm no good at dorm bedrooms. Other people give me the creeps.

https://treesforlife.org.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Tremendous example of a thread subject change, this one.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Yep get tae fuck with the sheep, agreed, would love to see boar back too.* Had a much higher population density, more arable land and more tree cover in now denuded parts of the Highlands before sheep replaced the pre-Clearances cattle economy. A lot of the north western Highlands will have lost the forest no matter what though, it's been retreating since at least the 1200s** from what was already very boggy and sparse as more and more and more rain fell there.

Still plenty of the Grampians that should have way more tree cover though, once the colonelocracy and forelock tugging fermers are dealt with.

*though boar, or at least feral escaped boar/pig cross-breeds, are back. And in England as well as Scotland.

**talk of the "Caledonian pine forest" covering half the Highlands into recorded history is romantic unmitigated bollocks. Even by the Roman era blanket bog, shite weather and fermers were all eating away at the tree cover. Prob have to go back to the Mesolithic/Neolithic to find anything like a massive forest blanketing the Highlands.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-07-2021, 23:10.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    I'd like wolves back in Scotland too, but looking at how fucking gamekeepers and fermers have poisoned and shot sea eagles and beavers, I'd say aim lower at first and start with lynxes. Would be a good idea to get tree cover closer to 25 than 19% as well.
    Then fuck off sheep farming. Nothing strips an ecosystem like sheep. Remove sheep, control deer with apex predators, and watch them badboy trees grow. Also add wild boar.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    So the problem is gamekeepers? Sounds like you do need to reintroduce bears. Big, angry grizzlies. And lions. And hippos.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    I'd like wolves back in Scotland too, but looking at how fucking gamekeepers and fermers have poisoned and shot sea eagles and beavers, I'd say aim lower at first and start with lynxes. Would be a good idea to get tree cover closer to 25 than 19% as well.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    The amount of money claimed as compo for wolves killing sheep in Italy far exceeds the possible given the number of wolves there actually are. Wolves aren't arsed and farmers are greedy and fat on handouts. Get the wolves back out there.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    There have been cases of wolves attacking people in Europe though, done nothing to help their reintroduction in Norway. And Norway has a fuck load more empty space, forest and less basterd fermers than Scotland.

Lynx at least are proper wallflower shy, just compensate the fermers when their bloody flocks get thinned out.
    We have tons of wolves round here and I've never heard of them attacking people,or even really bothering them. (they don't even come into villages and take chickens). They are a bit of a hassle for shepherds out in the hills, but that's it

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I agree they need to be managed but deer stalking doesn't kill the right animals, chinless bastards and rich tourists want to kill magnificent stags, not the surplus females, young, sick or old animals. We artificially maintain way too many deer cos of the money deer stalking brings in. Deer shot for venison rather than sport does a bit better at keeping numbers down, but these estates primarily exist for "sport".

Basically deer sheep and grouse moors are The Enemy.
    This.
    Deer hunting is a big deal in Pennsylvania that the government is fully invested in. They have everyone brainwashed into believing its necessary for conservation. I accept that, given all the other terrible things we've done to the forests and the wildlife, that there are going to be more deer than the habitat can support, so if we don't shoot some of them, then many more will starve.

But I have no faith whatsoever that the game commission is remotely interested in the welfare of the deer. They just want to sell hunting licenses and bring in out-of-state hunters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X