No announcement yet.

Anthony Bourdain RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would CNN be willing to put his Palestine episode on primetime in the Trump era? Will it be in their repeats? It would say far more than the CNN talking head tributes to Bourdain.

Comment

This is an amazing story too
      Last edited by Nefertiti2; 10-06-2018, 17:11.

Comment

That’s a Tommy Robinson thread you’ve linked to, Nef.

Comment

Fixed- something odd happening in my browser

Comment

Very sad to hear this recent news. I did a book signing with him for Kitchen Confidential back in 2000 just as the publication was taking off. I remember working several events of this kind which, to be frank, were not that interesting and didn't always hit the roof when it came to ticket sales. However, Bourdain was very funny and engaging, plus naturally good with the decent turnout who came along. The book did really well in our shop as a result and it was one of the more entertaining publishing events that I was lucky enough to attend.

I had a signed copy which has sadly disappeared into the ether. Damn.

Comment

Odd twist:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...thony-bourdain

Comment

Ah...the 'blame the dead guy' strategy.

Comment

A "friend" of hers has released texts w/images that put the issue beyond reasonable doubt. I won't link because the betrayal of trust by the "friend" is disgusting.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-08-2018, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    I won't link because the betrayal of trust by the "friend" is disgusting.
                    Wait...she's trying to deny sex with a minor AND pin the payoff on a dead man, and you think the friend who's setting the story straight is the disgusting party?

Comment

There's enough disgust to go around!

Comment

Just resurrecting this thread to say that, inspired by EIM's mention of him and having lock down time, I have just binge watched the first 6 episodes and like everything I have seen so far. He is much more thoughtful and considered than I expected with none of the gonzo character that I expected. Indeed, it is only in the Columbian episode that he does anything resembling being a dick by falling off his ATV after insisting on not wearing a helmet and, let's face it, we have all done worse I am sure. I am very much looking forward to the more-lauded episodes such as the Palestine one. Needless to say, Kitch Confidential still remains untouched.

Comment

I'm nearing the end of my journey with Anthony Bourdain, as there's only a few episodes left of Parts Unknown left for me to watch on Netflix. I've become obsessed with him during lockdown, and vicariously travelling the world has kept me saneish.

Watching it all post his death has contextualised it differently to if he were still alive. Added a layer of dramatic irony and poignancy. It's triggered something of a crisis in me. All my favourite things are finite. No more of my favourite TV. No more releases by my favourite band. No more goals from my favourite footballer. And while his programmes show that there are endless brilliant new things to discover, I will genuinely, properly miss him when I'm finished watching.

Nothing else recently has inspired me more than him. Inspired to cook, to eat, to drink, to travel, to talk, to create. He has revealed and confirmed some fundamental truths. Power is corrupt. All good movements be it culinary, musical, political, or whatever comes from the people. Change therefore comes from the people. People, largely, are the same the world over. They want the same things. Safety for them and their loved ones, freedom to live and create, grilled meat on a stick, and a cold beer.

The world is a big place, but paradoxically a small one. I suddenly feel a great affection for it. The system is fucked, stacked against us, and it's getting worse and harder to change. But wherever there is bad, there are amazing people doing extraordinary things to help others and bring about change. And that's pretty fucking inspiring, isn't it?

Plus I really want some noodles.

Comment

You could start a religion.

Comment

Someone should have filmed this. I'd have watched a short documentary series on EIM-Watching-Bourdain.

Comment

He's sort of everything I'd like to be, or think I am but aren't. There's no bullshit there. He'll do 45 minutes on wanky, inaccessible food in Noma, Copenhagen, Michelin star stuff that doesn't appeal to me, and he'll enjoy it. But then he'll do four episodes on eating chicken feet by the side of a road with a cold beer and be even happier with it.

Taking happiness from the small things, while remaining deeply affected by the big things? That resonates man.

Comment

Bourdain was a fundametally decent guy who could be a total asshole, but knew it that he was being an asshole, and would apologise for being an asshole when that was necessary. That came across in his books, in which he describes behaviour that was not entirely admirable, and which he admits was not admirable. He had that cool factor that comes with not giving a fuck when no fuck needs to be given, and giving plenty of fucks when those needed distribution.

Bourdain looked like he'd karate-kick a racist bastard giving him lip.

Comment

I'm rewatching Parts Unknown from the start and it's still a bloody delight. A glorious celebration of food, people, music, excess, and the world. I miss Anthony Bourdain deeply despite never knowing him, and I believe the world is a worse place without his voice.

Comment

I finished PU a month or two ago as well as Kitchen Confidential and the book version of Cook's Tour over lockdown. All glorious glorious stuff if always tinged with sadness that such a wonderful person (albeit knowingly flawed) has gone. Now trying to work out when I inevitably pay for all the rest of his stuff that I can't get off Netflix and Amazon Prime. Again, I must thank you, EIM, for the recommendation. To coin a phrase, it has been a game-changer. Not least, as so much of the music from the programme is going to make it into my next DJ set post lockdown

Comment

I just remembered he was published by Rebel Inc., his short story Chefs' Night Out is included in the Rovers Return anthology. Anyone who shared a publisher with Nelson Algren, Jim Dodge, John Fante and Sadegh Hedayet has got to be a good writer.

Comment

Comment

Eventually to be shown on CNN and HBO Max.

Comment

He died three years ago

A tribute here

https://twitter.com/NicholsUprising/status/1402384241539887105?s=20

Comment

I met him once, fleetingly, and he was nothing more than ... inclusive. He had no idea who I was. But he asked the right questions. And for that, I will die on the hill of "greatest food traveller of all time", and if such a thing does not exist, well, there you go, he fucking invented it.

I have HBO Max, and I am gagging on the Kenyan* horsehair.

*It wasn't. I can't remember which country. Might have been Namibia, so apologies to all.

Comment

Oh, Bourdain absolutely is the greatest food traveller of all time. There is no contender in sight.

Comment

My first experience of Bourdain was just after I moved to Romania and there was a social media explosion of anger at his visit here - he hired a Russian fixer to take him round and he played up the Dracula shit heavily, and had all these unlikely encounters with people in traditional folk costume. I remember back then watching that and thinking "who is this jerk?" It took ages before I watched other things he'd done and realising that he was great in pretty much all ways. I still have no idea what happened in that Romania show, and how he allowed himself to do something so beneath him. I'm in two minds about whether I'd like to see that episode again

Comment

Working...
                                                    X