Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo: Spoilers.

We must have done this.

Anyway, really enjoyed this. I have to say that I think my critical faculties are a little blunted by this recent crop as I love them all. This is probably on a par with Rogue One, maybe even with TFA and the Last Jedi. I just know that I get a very warm feeling sitting down to these films and am never disappointed. Getting the criticisms out of the way - and I don't mean the "why do they even have a train when they have anti-gravity transport?" suspension of disbelief stuff, I was glad to see the death of Rio Durant who was getting a bit Jar Jar Binks for me. I was also glad to see the death of L3. There was probably some point being made but with fairly strong female and/or black characters all over the place in these last four films, I don't think they need to add in a minority metaphor. I wasn't happy about Darth Maul turning up either as it is the first time in the last four films like I have been made to feel like I am missing something by not watching the crap trilogy. . Having said that, this is the first film where Mrs Bored felt like she understood the plot so maybe I being prejudiced against the character.

I loved the way it started off in a very "Blade Runner" setting which, I hope, was a conscious nod. The thing that sets these films apart from other sci-fi action films is, of course, the references to the Star Wars canon (as I believe it is called) and I loved the bits in here - the explanation of the Millenium Falcon's nose, the card game where Han wins the Falcon, the meeting of Chewie and Han which was much more original than I thought it was going to be, the Kessel Run The last four films have been increasingly heavy on cameos where the original trilogy was relative unknowns (aside from Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing, I suppose). I thought that Woody Harrelson as possibly too big and recognisable but I liked his character. I only went "Oh, that's Thandie Newton" halfway through her appearance and haven't seen that much of Paul Bettany for him to be any more than a nagging "Who is he?". They are definitely going for a posh English dark woman in the female leads with Rey, Jyn and now Qi'ra. I don't mind but it does get a little confusing if only for trying to work out if Rey could be Qu'ra's daughter mid-film. Alden Ehrenreich is great as Solo and Donald Glover is as LAndo as well. They are keeping with the CGI being nicely clunky, again in keeping with the last four films as well.

I would say that all the double- and triple-crossing at the end of the film was, perhaps, too much but I think that is me being overly-critical and, as I say, Mrs Bored didn't have any problems with the plot.

Hated Last Jedi. The news Darth Maul turns up here makes me even less likely to see it in the cinema. But I am a joyless fuck.

Comment

Bloody hell, I did say "Spoilers"

Comment

Sure, I’ll probably never watch it sober.

Comment

It’s an enjoyable romp with a distinct ‘Saturday morning pictures’ feel to it - nothing wrong with that as much of the original trilogy was the same. Ehrenreich won me over and convinced as the young Han by about halfway through (the scene where he sits in the Falcon cockpit with Chewie for the first time).

Certainly more of a ‘That was fun’ franchise movie rather than the ‘WOW!’ of The Force Awakens or Rogue One, neither of which it bears comparison with. I’m confused as to why it has come out so soon after ‘The Last Jedi’ (which I really need to revisit as, with time , I’m unsure how completely successful it was) and not this Xmas which would have been the natural time given the scheduling of the other reboot movies, surely the final part of the current full trilogy won’t be until late 2019.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-05-2018, 23:26.

Comment

"Enjoyable romp" is a very good way of putting it. It is certainly the lightest of the last four films - possibly obviously, given the character.

Comment

I really enjoyed this. Plenty of nods to Star Wars lore. An explanation of how you could do the Kessel Run in fewer parsecs than anyone else. Chewie learning dejarik chess. Even the way Han gets his name made me chuckle.

If I had one criticism, the opening sequence when Han and Qi'ra are separated in the space port seemed a bit forced. It could have equally been Han running away to join the Navy and promising to come back. We might even have had time to see him at the academy.

I liked seeing Maul back. It fits in with his reappearance in the Clone Wars and then Rebels. In those series he hates Vader because Anakin was Obi Wan's apprentice, and also replaced him as the Emperor's apprentice. I like the idea of Crimson Dawn versus the Empire / Maul v Vader.

Comment

Just remembered... I thought the bit where Chewie rips the arms off a Kessel guard was very funny. Particularly Han's reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                  I wasn't happy about Darth Maul turning up either as it is the first time in the last four films like I have been made to feel like I am missing something by not watching the crap trilogy.
                  I don't even think it's to do with the prequel trilogy, this takes place after Episode III, so this is more in the realm of the Attack of the Clones cartoon and the story that's been laid out there, since Darth Maul apparently didn't die in the Episode I.

I haven't done any searching to find out if his appearance in Solo is meant to tie into something bigger, or if it's just something thrown in there to give us a baddie that we recognize.

Comment

On the "why do they have trains when they have anti-gravity transport?" question you'll be asking why AT-ATs are walkers next.

Comment

It's a shame it's doing so poorly at the box office.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        On the "why do they have trains when they have anti-gravity transport?" question you'll be asking why AT-ATs are walkers next.
                        I didn't ask - as such - I suspended disbelief. As I do with the AT-ATs.

Comment

It's an anti gravity train isn't it? But given the landscape you'd need a track, a bit like a maglev train. A more pressing question is why they don't just use a spaceship to ferry stuff around a planet.

I don't get why Thandie Newton would blow herself up. Self sacrifice is hardly the way of the hardened crim.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            It's an anti gravity train isn't it? But given the landscape you'd need a track, a bit like a maglev train. A more pressing question is why they don't just use a spaceship to ferry stuff around a planet.

I don't get why Thandie Newton would blow herself up. Self sacrifice is hardly the way of the hardened crim.
                            Probably because she knew that they could rebuild her in the lab.

Oh, sorry, wrong sci-fi show.

Comment

I've now been to see this for a second time and I'm going to be bold and say it's my favourite of the new movies, narrowly edging out The Force Awakens.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...r-wars-cartoon

my official position on the whole business

Comment

Am I the only one who feels it's getting a bit too much with the nods to the old Star Wars movies? I reached a tipping point for me when the entire first chat between Lando and Qi'ra was basically the same as the one between Lando and Leia on the landing dock in Return of the Jedi.

Comment

Yes you're the only one

Comment

Working...
                                    X