X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programme listings, May 1968

YOUR BBC1 PROGRAMME LISTINGS, MAY 19, 1968

11 AM: GWLAD Y CWM
    Catering for Welsh viewers of all ages and interests, including folk music, sewing, cottage thatching, daffodil dancing

12.30 PM: WATCH WITH MOTHER: THE WOODEN STICKS
    The enchanting animated adventures of four wooden sticks, Tom, Jane, Wee Tim and Old Father Cockmaster

1.05 PM: MORE WELSH PROGRAMMING

A current affairs round-up, featuring live reports from the annual Pit Pony Parade in Pontypridd.

5.44 PM: EARLY EVENING CONCERT FROM BUDAPEST

Recorded transmission of The three-act opera The Truculent Porcupine by Bela Bartok

7 PM: THE NEWS
    Read by Louis Mountbatten

7.05 PM: BOYO, BOYO, BOYO!

Uproarious comedy about three loveable but incorrigibly Welsh imbeciles starring SID JAMES as Taffy, KENNETH WILLIAMS as Taffy and HARRY WORTH as Taffy

7.30 PM: THE ROGER WHITTAKER TWO HOURS

While away the evening with Britain's favourite entertainer, with shanties, Scottisches, whistling and special guest Jimmy Hendricks, Southern Counties stick-whittling champion of 1967

9.30 PM: NEW BLACKFACES

Talent competition in which young hopefuls cork up and put themselves through their paces under the limelight to see which of them will be the star TV minstrels of the 1970s and 1980s

10 PM: THE WOGGS NEXT DOOR

Starring JOHN ALDERTON as Norman White, whose life is turned upside down when a Caribbean immigrant Garfield Wogg (Sid James) moves in next door with his family

10: 30 PM: LATE NIGHT CIGARETTES

Philosophy panel discussion show in which AJ Ayer, Bertrand Russell and special guest Jean-Paul Sartre discuss posmodermism, pacifism, nihilism and Maoism. Hosted by Hughie Green

11. 55 PM: THE STAND UP HOUR
    Rise to your feet as the Coldstream Guards play the National Anthem
    (00.01 – Programmes end)

For comparison

the real BBC one listings for May 19th 1968 (a Sunday)

( a bit more progressive than Seppings remembers)

Some Highlights
    Make Yourself at Home for viewers from
    Pakistan and India
    Including Look, Listen, and Speak
    Scriptwriter, VIOLA HUGGINS
    Lesson 42
    Teacher, Robert Chapman
    Assisted by SHEILA DILLON-GUY from the Midlands
    Repeated on Wednesday at 12.25 p.m. ' Look, Listen, and Speak' Book 4 (orange cover), printed in Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati and English, with vocabularies and revision lessons, can be obtained from booksellers. Asian grocery shops, or from BBC Publications[address removed](by post 6s. 8d.; crossed postal order, please, not stamps)

Ten programmes about the relationship between international trade and finance and international power politics
    5: Politics or Business?
    How important was the formation of the European Economic Community to Europe's growing prosperity in the 1950s?
    Introduced by Roger Opie
    Directed by DAVID HARGREAVES
    Produced by HOWARD SMITH

17.25: The Railway Children: 2: The Coalminers
    It was Peter's birthday and Father had to leave with two mysterious callers. Mother and the children have left their house in London for a small cottage in the country without Father.
    Contributors
    Dramatised in seven parts by: Denis Constanduros
    Designer: Oliver Bayldon
    Producer: Campbell Logan
    Writer: E. Nesbit
    Designer: Oliver Bayldon
    Director: Julia Smith
    Mother: Ann Castle
    Bobbie: Jenny Agutter
    Peter: Neil McDermott
    Phyllis: Gillian Bailey
    Perks: Gordon Gostelow
    Station-Master: Brian Hayes
    Most intriguing

MEETING POINT
    An Egg in Your Face
    One of my earliest recollections was standing in the street outside my home and a woman asking me if I was the son of the Rev. William John Calvin. I said I was. The woman put her hand in her shopping bag and brought out an egg. She smashed it in my face
    I always had as a boy this sense of not belonging, of being in a minority group on every matter and issue
    But it left me with this almost neurotic sense of having to surround with care people who are under oppression, under attack, or unable to stick up for themselves An Egg in Your Face traces the life of The Rev. Noel Calvin the Congregational Minister of Trowbridge, Wiltshire and urges through his eyes the expanding need for tolerance and understanding in religion, politics, and all human attitudes
    Produced and directed by HUGH PITT from the South and West
    0.35: THE FIRST LADY
    starring
    THORA HIRD
    ROBERT KEEGAN
    JAMES GROUT and HENRY KNOWLES in A Little Goodwill by N.J. CRISP
    Most men with small businesses know that when the time comes to retire they can sell up with a tidy profit. But what happens when you can'retire? This is the situation of John Lambert , at seventy-three Furness's oldest taxi proprietor. He can'pass on his taxi licence-these come under the Furness Watch Committee and there is a long waiting list for them. Is this unfair? Sarah investigates what seems a straightforward grievance and uncovers a dubious racket in the process.
    Series devised by ALAN PLATER from an initial idea by Alan Plater and Philip Levene Script editor, Gerry Davis Designer, Allan Anson
    Producer, DAVID E. Rosi Directed by BRIAN PARKER

Comment

I didn't find any overtly racist content all week on the Beeb to be fair, although the only black performers seem to have been Sunday cricketers and Sammy Davis Jr.

Monday night BBC2 has four Pythons:

MARTY
      starring
      MARTY FELDMAN co-starring
      JOHN JUNKIN
      TIM BROOKE-TAYLOR with Roland MacLeod
      Written by MARTY FELDMAN and BARRY TOOK
      Additional material by John Cleese and Graham Chapman Terry Jones and Michael Palin
      Donald Webster , Philip Jenkinson Designer, Roger Murray-Leach
      Produced by DENNIS MAIN WILSON
      Contributors
      Unknown: Marty Feldman
      Unknown: John Junkin
      Unknown: Tim Brooke-Taylor
      Unknown: Roland MacLeod
      Written By: Marty Feldman
      Written By: Barry Took
      Unknown: John Cleese
      Unknown: Graham Chapman
      Unknown: Terry Jones
      Unknown: Michael Palin
      Unknown: Donald Webster
      Unknown: Philip Jenkinson
      Designer: Roger Murray-Leach
      Produced By: Dennis Main Wilson
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-05-2018, 13:30.

Comment

On ITV in July:

a) this dodgy title, but not actually racist content:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_Darkie_Pilbeam

b) Custer, clearly a racist person in history, probably whitewashed for TV (series was cancelled by the end of 1967 due to Native American protests but ITV was still showing it in July 68):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer_(TV_series)

Comment

Working...
        X