Babylon Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon Berlin

Saw this has appeared in Current watching - think it deserves a thread of its own.

Very enjoyable. Occasionally a bit like a Tintin/Erich Kästner romp - kidnapping/ fights on trains/ and so one.

some very good performances - particularly liked Oliver Hardy look alike Peter Kurth as Detective Chief Inspector Bruno Wolter and Mathias Brandt as Regirungsrat August Benda

Brandt is the son of Willi Brandt, the greatest German politician of the 20th Century IMO, which adds an extraordinary poignancy to his portrayal.

So keen to watch this, but only on Sky so far?

Comment

I was in Germany for a few days and took out a special offer sky Interent subscription at 6 euros for two months. Defintely worth it/ Maybe something similar available on Now TV

Comment

Bloomin' heck, I was there over the weekend, missed a trick there.

Comment

This has been discussed at length in current watching (which is, I suspect, why they thread got little traction) I'm coming to dislike the megathreads.

Comment

Here's the SkyGo site should you be there again, SW2 https://www.skygo.sky.de/skygoextra.html I saw some references in the current watching thread, but it was so full of other stuff it was hard to join in - especially coming late to the party.

Comment

This sounds right up my street, so it's frustrating that it's not available on any of the channels I have. I expect that, as with each season of Better Call Saul, I'll end up watching it a year or so after everyone else, possibly on DVD, when others are no longer interested in talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                This has been discussed at length in current watching (which is, I suspect, why they thread got little traction) I'm coming to dislike the megathreads.
                This is true. I was going to repeat a lot of points made on that other thread, but it would be better just to direct Nef2 and others to that thread. Starts on page 66, post #1631:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...atching/page66

OTOH it means they have to wade through pages that discuss other shows they may have no interest in.

However, the problem here is that you cannot tell when a series begins whether it will be worth a thread. Babylon Berlin was like that, a slow burner, and we all started watching it at different times due to it being on Netflix. It's also a reflection of the fact that the old TV culture, where all people in a particular demographic group watch every episode in the same timeframe, because it is on network TV and only shown once, is dead and gone. Add to that the fact that Amor is in Canada, I'm in the US, most others are in the UK, it becomes hard to know how else to manage a conversation except in a mega-thread where each person flags up something that others either had overlooked or just not been able to access yet. I'm not sure what the solution is, if any.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2018, 02:27.

Comment

I almost gave up on it after the first two episodes, but I stuck with it because a friend with similar tastes to mine recommended it. I'm glad I did. I'm on episode neun. I seem to have a recurring "Zu Asche, Zu Staub" earworm now. It's very catchy.
                  Last edited by Femme Folle; 12-04-2018, 05:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                    This sounds right up my street, so it's frustrating that it's not available on any of the channels I have. I expect that, as with each season of Better Call Saul, I'll end up watching it a year or so after everyone else, possibly on DVD, when others are no longer interested in talking about it.
                    I hear you. Even in Germany it isn't being shown on terrestrial TV until this autumn, despite public broadcaster ARD being co-producers with Sky. It's a real pity as I think that sort of gap (a year in Germany) dilutes the series's impact and makes it less likely we'll see a second series produced.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                      I almost gave up on it after the first two episodes, but I stuck with it because a friend with similar tastes to mine recommended it. I'm glad I did. I'm on episode neun. I seem to have a recurring "Zu Asche, Ze Staub" earworm now. It's very catchy.
                      Clip available to all OTFers on both the New Music thread and Current Watching.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                          I almost gave up on it after the first two episodes, but I stuck with it because a friend with similar tastes to mine recommended it. I'm glad I did. I'm on episode neun. I seem to have a recurring "Zu Asche, Zu Staub" earworm now. It's very catchy.
                          A Russian language version of Gloomy Sunday, Voskresenie, which is in the season finale, is even more haunting, and shows just how dark the show's premise is IMHO. I won't link to Youtube because it will contain massive plot spoilers.

Translating Voskresenie will also give a very slight spoiler, but probably only make sense after you see the finale.

There's a fair amount of nudity in the series but that kinda goes with the title and period. I wouldn't say it's gratuitous or particularly erotic; the lighting captures the seediness of it when appropriate; nudity at Lake Wannsee is discussed in the other thread.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2018, 11:01.

Comment

I think I will wait, then. I will probably finish the series on Saturday.

Comment

I watched the 1st 10 mins tonight. Nothing to say about it, just want to be on here and hang out with the big boys and girls.

(I lie: I can say I'm looking forward to it and I liked the credits- would've forced Ms f to watch it with me tonight but she was too busy with her new phone and its technical quirks.)

Comment

Got a little over a month to finish up the school year and don't want to shortchange keeping up to date and enjoying it. Come late May, look very forward to diving into the series.

Comment

Unless you understand German, it's not something you can watch while doing something else. I have a bad habit of sitting with my Chromebook on my lap while watching TV. Doesn't work well when reading subtitles.

Comment

Anyone else get a Ruts earworm when they see the title to this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      Yup, I was just thinking the very same.

Comment

Well, I watched the first episode yesterday. It's fair to say, it won't be the last either....

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Not until you said that. [Shakes fist and yells at a cloud]

Comment

Really enjoyed this. Seemed to run out of legs a bit But really quite good

Comment

I noticed that in the books, Charlotte's name is shortened to Charly not Lotte. That was rather jarring.

The follow-up, 'A Silent Death', was a rather dull procedural and almost totally written from Rath's POV. It would need to be heavily reworked to make good TV. The plot may also be too grim, reminiscent of Michael Powell's 'Peeping Tom'.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-05-2018, 06:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                I noticed that in the books, Charlotte's name is shortened to Charly not Lotte. That was rather jarring.

The follow-up, 'A Silent Death', was a rather dull procedural and almost totally written from Rath's POV. It would need to be heavily reworked to make good TV. The plot may also be too grim, reminiscent of Michael Powell's 'Peeping Tom'.
                                                I wonder if that's a class thing, I've heard that Lotte is middle-class in the books whereas in the TV she was born into poverty in Kreuzberg.

I've been binging this the last week to the point that I've got all the Rath novels in my Amazon basket, I've dug my Walter Laqueur Weimar 1918-33 book out of my bookcase and I am completely in love with Liv Lisa Fries. I'm surprised I didn't get into it earlier, Tom Twyker is an executive producer and he directed Run Lola Run, one of my favourite films.

Unfortunately the guy who plays Gereon seems to have become some kind of Covid-truther after having reliably liberal-left politics.

Comment

There's a graphic novel version too if you are ready to keep on spending.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X