Actors mainly remembered for their inferior work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors mainly remembered for their inferior work

Peter Sellers - Pink Panther Series rather than Dr. Strangelove, Lolita and I'm All Right Jack?

John Wayne - The Alamo rather than The Searchers?

Sid James and Kenneth Williams - Carry Ons rather than Hancock
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-04-2018, 14:38.

Some of the early and mid-period Carry Ons are wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Peter Sellers - Pink Panther Series rather than Dr. Strangelove, Lolita and I'm All Right Jack?

John Wayne - The Alamo rather than The Searchers?

Sid James and Kenneth Williams - Carry Ons rather than Hancock
      If you're singling out John Wayne then how has "The Green Berets" missed the cut?

Comment

John Wayne made 165 films. Bound to be some dross in there.

Comment

Jim Carrey - mainly for Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber but I thought he was great in The Truman Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            If you're singling out John Wayne then how has "The Green Berets" missed the cut?
            Because he's not primarily remembered for it

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
              John Wayne made 165 films. Bound to be some dross in there.
              More than 'some'. But there are some gems and not just the obvious ones. He's good in 'Fort Apache', for example.

Comment

I shudder to think what the worst movie was with Michael Caine. I'll bet Blame It On Rio isn't even in the bottom five.

Comment

Like with Sean Connery, the more Caine opens his mouth to talk reactionary bollocks the harder I find it to watch his films. He seems such an old Tory cunt.

Comment

George Peppard - The A-Team rather than Breakfast at Tiffany's or The Carpetbaggers.

Comment

He’s terrible in Breakfast at Tiffany’s but.

Comment

George Kennedy - Naked Gun, rather than Cool Hand Luke.

Or The Eiger Sanction.

Comment

There is a case for anyone who played James Bond to be considered to not be able to shake that off, no matter how good their other stuff is. So each of the Bonds count, except Lazenby obviously.

Comment

Same with Star Wars. Alec Guinness will never shake off Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              I shudder to think what the worst movie was with Michael Caine. I'll bet Blame It On Rio isn't even in the bottom five.
                              Yeah, but he's not going to be remembered for that. He's going to be remembered for Alfie, Zulu and Get Carter. And going toe to toe with Olivier in Sleuth, which I still love.

Comment

Suppose all the people whose first and abiding memories of Guinness were Ealing comedies or even the Lean epics are either getting on or dead. Poor fucker is Obi Wan and that’s that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  There is a case for anyone who played James Bond to be considered to not be able to shake that off, no matter how good their other stuff is. So each of the Bonds count, except Lazenby obviously.
                                  I really like Robin and Marion, and The Man Who Would Be King is a good Sunday afternoon romp, but I struggle to think of much outside Bond Connery was any good in. Or not the worst or near worst actor in an otherwise decent film. There’s understated acting, then there’s being a plank of wood. Prone to occasional shouting or violence when called for. With an accent range from Leith to Embra city limits.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-04-2018, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    Suppose all the people whose first and abiding memories of Guinness were Ealing comedies or even the Lean epics are either getting on or dead. Poor fucker is Obi Wan and that’s that.
                                    ?
                                    Last edited by Haddock; 05-04-2018, 23:50.

Comment

I’m meaning the culture is now ruled by folk who first saw him in Star Wars (my generation and a bit above have the media Decision Making Power such as still exists) not Bridge over the River Kwai. But the culture is being ruled now by folk whose defining experience was the Britpop and Trainspotting zeitgeist. God help us all. Maybe our best hope is in the younglings if they can resist nostalgia for bullshit they never knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Same with Star Wars. Alec Guinness will never shake off Obi-Wan Kenobi.
                                        See, for me Guinness is George Smiley. That he also played Obi-Wan never really computes in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                          See, for me Guinness is George Smiley. That he also played Obi-Wan never really computes in my head.
                                          And to go to LS's earlier points Connery will always be The Hill and Caine The Muppets Christmas Carol.

Comment

Oh yeah The Hill is great. Muppets goes without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              Suppose all the people whose first and abiding memories of Guinness were Ealing comedies or even the Lean epics are either getting on or dead.
                                              Well not quite just yet!

Our Man in Havana is Alec Guiness for me.

Comment

I’ve never seen Connery’s supposed nadir, Zardoz. But the Pauline Kael review is entertainingly lacerating. Makes it sound like Boorman’s cod anti feminist parable with floating rock heads is due a reboot in the Age of Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                                  George Kennedy - Naked Gun, rather than Cool Hand Luke.
                                                  You saying The Naked Gun is crap?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X