Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Bochco RIP

Probably more responsible for current TV than anyone else

Indeed. I am watching the Sopranos and West Wing presently and it struck me that "Hill Street Blues" kicked it all off.

Comment

Aside from all his television achievements, Bochco's 2003 novel Death By Hollywood is also a pretty entertaining read.

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Bochco's 2003 novel Death By Hollywood is also a pretty entertaining read.
        I missed that at the time so have just ordered a copy - thanks for the tip off.

Comment

Hill Street Blues is one of the all time great network shows, but LA Law was directly responsible for a lot of disappointed entrants to my profession.

His body of work is absolutely massive.

Comment

An absolute master who shaped TV for my generation, I was thinking about him only this week after seeing this tweet (which is amazing in itself) :

https://twitter.com/kathleenbeedles/status/979745040296808453?s=21

Comment

His superb Murder One in the 1990s wasn't hugely successful, but in the then still unusual way it told its story, focussing on one single case for a season, it had a great influence on many shows that would come. Murder One, NYPD Blue and Homicide: Life In The Street are pivotal in the new genre of great TV dramas of the 2000s, such as The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield etc. And, of course, two of those three pivvotal shows were Bochco creations.

Hill Street Blues surely is the godfather of all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                I missed that at the time so have just ordered a copy - thanks for the tip off.
                No problem. Actually, Chris Morris bought me that as a Christmas present in 2004, so you can claim his recommendation there.

I think I just woke an elderly couple in Collier's Wood with the clank from that name-drop.

Comment

I didn't know you knew one of Jack's Army.

Comment

Yeah - he usually gives me James Joyce titles, so this made a nice change...

Comment

When not reading finnegans wake, he works in his family's Pastie shop in newquay. If I'd known that when down there for a stag I would definitely have hunted it out. Newquay is a really odd place.

Comment

Didn't he used to play for Celtic? Or was that actually the guy who wrote "The Day Today"?

Comment

That's the guy.

Comment

Well, yes, obviously I meant the Brass Eye dude, but ran with the latter for hilarious comic effect.

Comment

Yes, I didn't realise until hearing it on Radio 4 yesterday that Bocho wrote (for?) Colombo. Makes sense, loved Colombo. That opening shot is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X